rental scooter questions

RoperDK

So, I've decided to rent a scooter for my upcoming Harmony of the Seas cruise.  I am having hip replacement after the cruise and while I can walk, long distances with a cane are no fun.  I have a Grand Suite and only need the smaller scooter size and I've been told it will fit in the cabin door just fine.  I have a question about the functioning of the scooter.  Do the arms fold up?  Does the seat swivel?  If I have to maneuver out of the seat by contorting my hip then a wheelchair would be better for me.  How do you "mark" your scooter to easily see that it's yours when parked among other scooters.  Is one company better than another?  Lastly, can recent Port Canaveral terminal 1 renters confirm that I can pick up a scooter outside of the terminal for either company?  You can tell I'm a novice for sure.  TIA   

I think folks here can tell you what model scooter is usually rented by the preferred companies.  I believe it is a pretty common model.  I suggest you go to one or more medical supply stores that sell or rent scooters.  See if they have that model, and ask if you can try it out in the store.  Scooters are like bikes…you can mount from either side.  If one side bothers your hip, try the other.  As for identifying your scooter from the others, take something along that is colorful that you can tie or fasten to the tiller.  EM

• Thanks 1

I believe that most of your questions can be answered by a quick call to the rental companies.  Find out exactly which models are being offered (normally they are some model of Pride scooter).

In my experience, the arm rests raise, but I don't believe that the seats swivel.  @Essiesmomis spot on in her suggestion to go and try them out at a local store.

I can only answer for the Carnival berth at Port Canaveral (and they only use Scootaround), but DH was able to pick up and return his scooter at the port entrance.  You could verify this, as well, with a quick phone call.  Even if they are delivered to your stateroom, all cruise lines offer some type of wheelchair service for embarkation.

• Thanks 1

If you want to be sure that your scooter will fit through your stateroom, I would contact Royal's Access Department and verify the door width.  Their website says non-accessible rooms are a minimum of 23" wide.   Here's their Access Department contact info:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

You state you are renting the smaller scooter size which I am thinking would be the "standard scooter" from Special Needs at Sea or the "transportable scooter" from Scootaround.   We have rented from both companies and have always ordered the "standard" or "transportable" 3-wheel scooter and have gotten the same exact brand and model from both companies (which is the Pride Go Go Sport).  The arms fold up and the seat swivels.  We have a fuzzy luggage tag that we just take one off the suitcase and attach to the scooter.   The Pride brand scooters are very common so if you have a local mobility store you could check (and test drive) them out.  

Double-check the pricing from both companies.  If you happen to use Scootaround, try discount code USCRUISE (from United Spinal Members) which gives you a discount (if the code doesn't work booking on-line, give them a call and they will manually add it).   

Your rental company will confirm where you will pick up and drop off your scooter once they know your date of sailing and what ship.  

Here's a Pride Go-Go Sport video that has a lot of information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqpImC0RO0

• Thanks 2

On 7/22/2022 at 2:26 PM, kokopelli-az said:

If you want to be sure that your scooter will fit through your stateroom, I would contact Royal's Access Department and verify the door width.  Their website says non-accessible rooms are a minimum of 23" wide.   Here's their Access Department contact info:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

You state you are renting the smaller scooter size which I am thinking would be the "standard scooter" from Special Needs at Sea or the "transportable scooter" from Scootaround.   We have rented from both companies and have always ordered the "standard" or "transportable" 3-wheel scooter and have gotten the same exact brand and model from both companies (which is the Pride Go Go Sport).  The arms fold up and the seat swivels.  We have a fuzzy luggage tag that we just take one off the suitcase and attach to the scooter.   The Pride brand scooters are very common so if you have a local mobility store you could check (and test drive) them out.  

Double-check the pricing from both companies.  If you happen to use Scootaround, try discount code USCRUISE (from United Spinal Members) which gives you a discount (if the code doesn't work booking on-line, give them a call and they will manually add it).   

Your rental company will confirm where you will pick up and drop off your scooter once they know your date of sailing and what ship.  

Here's a Pride Go-Go Sport video that has a lot of information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqpImC0RO0

Thanks for this.  If it isn't too much trouble, could you shoot me an email (address in signature)?  I have some very specific questions.  TIA.