Cruise insurance reimbursement

cweather

Can someone give me some ideas on who I  can talk with about getting my claimed looked at.  I purchased cruise insurance thru carnival.  Back in February this year we had a delay getting home.  I put in a claim with Aon.  2 months later I received a email stating they needed more information. I obtained the paper work and immediately uploaded it.  It’s now been another 2 months. I have called to confirm they have the paperwork however I keep getting emails stating they need more information.  I even talked to a claims person who said they received my paperwork.  Not sure how to proceed. Any information would be appreciated. 

A couple of ideas.

First understand that Carnival is no longer involved. It's between you and AON.

Second, all insurances are regulated by each individual State. Yours would be the Nevada Division of Insurance. Found here.  Nevada Division of Insurance (nv.gov)    Each State has a requirement in which claims are to be addressed. For me, it's 30 days after acknowledgement of receipt. File a complaint with them. That should help get the ball rolling.

However, also understand that insurance companies are also dealing with the ramifications of the pandemic. (Not that they were slower in accepting your money 😲) But my reimbursement did take about 6 weeks. (About 2 weeks after I filed my complaint.)

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a suggestion - in the future instead of CCL insurance go with an outside company.  Not only will it probably be cheaper - it will give more coverage.  We always go with Travelguard (over 40 cruises and land vacays) because they cover pre-existing medical conditions if purchased within 15 days of booking,  which CCL does not cover.

We got "stuck" in Miami coming off a CCL cruise this February also.  Spent 2 extra days there.  Got all hotel and food costs covered.  Put the claim in the day I got back to NY, and within a week got a check back from Travelguard.

Make yourself a pain to aon.  Call every few days, ask to speak to a supervisor each time. I know it is frustrating....

Hmmm. Not liking this. 😳

On previous cruises I always bought Travel Guard.  I had a substantial claim and they reimbursed me every cent.  Very simple transaction. 

For the last few cruises I have been buying Carnival insurance because it’s only $49 pp, lots cheaper, and I am mostly interested in medivac on the off chance it’s needed. 

Sounds like I’d better look into something else. 

49 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Hmmm. Not liking this. 😳

On previous cruises I always bought Travel Guard.  I had a substantial claim and they reimbursed me every cent.  Very simple transaction. 

For the last few cruises I have been buying Carnival insurance because it’s only $49 pp, lots cheaper, and I am mostly interested in medivac on the off chance it’s needed. 

Sounds like I’d better look into something else. 

Cruise line insurance does offer some benefits such as they don't price based on age, they include Cancel For any Reason, and the price is cheaper.

However, the negatives are low medical coverage (only $20K max), the medical is secondary and doesn't not cover any pre-existing conditions. And it only covers the timeframe of the cruise in most cases. If you drive or fly, maybe spend a day pre-cruise or post cruise, that time is not covered.

But at the very least, EVERYONE needs to understand that insurance is almost always reimbursement AFTER the fact. If you get hurt on an excursion and need medical, YOU have to pay either cash or via credit card up front. Then file for reimbursement when all is said and done.

Cozumel International Hospital is not going to directly bill Medicare, BCBS, United Healthcare, none of them

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pe4all said:

Just a suggestion - in the future instead of CCL insurance go with an outside company.  Not only will it probably be cheaper - it will give more coverage.  We always go with Travelguard (over 40 cruises and land vacays) because they cover pre-existing medical conditions if purchased within 15 days of booking,  which CCL does not cover.

We got "stuck" in Miami coming off a CCL cruise this February also.  Spent 2 extra days there.  Got all hotel and food costs covered.  Put the claim in the day I got back to NY, and within a week got a check back from Travelguard.

Make yourself a pain to aon.  Call every few days, ask to speak to a supervisor each time. I know it is frustrating....

Why do you bother 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, klfrodo said:

EVERYONE needs to understand that insurance is almost always reimbursement AFTER the fact. If you get hurt on an excursion and need medical, YOU have to pay either cash or via credit card up front. Then file for reimbursement when all is said and done.

Oh, I see. I’m fine with paying up front but it sounds like getting reimbursed through Carnival’s insurance is a pain.  

When cruising out of a port which is close to my house, which is dirt cheap, it’s probably okay to get Carnival insurance.   

I think that I will go with Travel Guard for the one on Mardi Gras as it’s a long drive there and lots of things can happen. 

Thanks for your input.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Oh, I see. I’m fine with paying up front but it sounds like getting reimbursed through Carnival’s insurance is a pain.  

When cruising out of a port which is close to my house, which is dirt cheap, it’s probably okay to get Carnival insurance.   

I think that I will go with Travel Guard for the one on Mardi Gras as it’s a long drive there and lots of things can happen. 

Thanks for your input.  

I don't think being close to a port really fits into my thoughts on always purchasing trip insurance.  I get it mostly for medical purposes - just in case something happens on a cruise, as it did to us when dd had an infection that they thought was appendicitis many years ago when we cruised on CCL Dream, and we were off-loaded into a Belize hospital for 3 days.  Our travel insurance covered everything except $5 - this included our very expensive plane tickets from Belize back to Miami.  It also covered a cruise we had to cancel the day before due to norovirus way back.  I know that many people do not purchase travel insurance, but for us it is the next phone call after I put a deposit down on any vacation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought insurance through Trawick after comparing policies on Insure My Trip for a cruise this past February. We were denied boarding due to Covid so I submitted our claim for hotel and food while stuck in Florida on Feb. 10th. Every so often I would get the automated email that due to high volumes claims were taking additional time to process. On June 27th check arrived in the mail for the full amount so almost 4 months. 

• Thanks 2