Positive Test

Jennsails

The thing that we were most afraid of happening, happened. Symptomatic and positive Covid test 1 week before departure date on the Getaway. We followed the instructions on the NCL site, filled in online form and uploaded the requested info (positive lab test result). Received an automated email back that it will be reviewed and to expect to hear a response within 30 days. I’m concerned because we are scheduled to sail in 1 week. The email response from NCL specifically said not to email again and when I call they say just to wait to hear from someone. Anyone else had to unfortunately try and get an FCC due to Covid? We did not purchase NCL’s insurance but in this instance, from what the conditions state, that should not matter. I’m super nervous that we’ll get stuck forfeiting our reservation because it still shows 7 days till departure and our cabin is still assigned on my account. I’ll be very uncomfortable not hearing from the cruise line before out depart date. Any thoughts?

When I tested positive 2 days before my cruise I contacted NCL by phone to cancel the cruise in addition to opening an online case file. I received my refund and FCC within one week. I would recommend contacting them by phone to cancel the cruise. I did receive email confirmation of the cancellation from them after I called to cancel.  I also did not purchase insurance from them and I  did receive FCC and a refund of all my other purchases.

Edited by rhapsodybluezz
additional info
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rhapsodybluezz said:

When I tested positive 2 days before my cruise I contacted NCL by phone to cancel the cruise in addition to opening an online case file. I received my refund and FCC within one week. I would recommend contacting them by phone to cancel the cruise. I did receive email confirmation of the cancellation from them after I called to cancel.  I also did not purchase insurance from them and I  did receive FCC and a refund of all my other purchases.

Maybe I need to call again and try and get a different rep because when I called they told me all I could do was submit the online form and just wait and it would be taken care of. Not the best info. 

Sorry that you tested positive for the Covid test. However, I wondered why you decided to do a test 1 week before the cruise? Isn't the cruise line usually requires the test 1-2 days before the departure for the cruise? Sometimes, it depends on your health. What if you might be all better by the time for your cruise?

2 hours ago, Jennsails said:

The thing that we were most afraid of happening, happened. Symptomatic and positive Covid test 1 week before departure date on the Getaway. We followed the instructions on the NCL site, filled in online form and uploaded the requested info (positive lab test result). Received an automated email back that it will be reviewed and to expect to hear a response within 30 days. I’m concerned because we are scheduled to sail in 1 week. The email response from NCL specifically said not to email again and when I call they say just to wait to hear from someone. Anyone else had to unfortunately try and get an FCC due to Covid? We did not purchase NCL’s insurance but in this instance, from what the conditions state, that should not matter. I’m super nervous that we’ll get stuck forfeiting our reservation because it still shows 7 days till departure and our cabin is still assigned on my account. I’ll be very uncomfortable not hearing from the cruise line before out depart date. Any thoughts?

You need to be 100% sure that you have properly cancelled to enable insurance/cruise line credit. You should talk to a real person, not a computer form. 

• Like 2

We had to cancel our cruise after I tested positive at work ~1 week prior. Agree with the above, I submitted the online form like you did, but also spoke to a rep as well to follow up to make sure everything was complete. I've found it's helpful to call around as different reps offer differing levels of perceived helpfulness. Ended up getting a full refund (minus the cost of insurance) within a week . I think you'll be fine! Sorry for your luck . 

2 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

Sorry that you tested positive for the Covid test. However, I wondered why you decided to do a test 1 week before the cruise? Isn't the cruise line usually requires the test 1-2 days before the departure for the cruise? Sometimes, it depends on your health. What if you might be all better by the time for your cruise?

This.  Covid isn't a life sentence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

OP was symptomatic, so made sense to test to confirm that.  Though I'd get some Paxlovid and see if it clears up before cancelling anything.  You can always call a couple days before if you're still positive then.

Not to hijack thread but quick question, I'm going to forgo the travel insurance because my upcoming cruise if leaving N.Y. and I'm from N.Y. I feel that travel insurance is more for people that have to fly to and from embark and disembark locations. I'm vaccinated, but if I tested + on embark day and could not board, and had no travel insurance what would my situation be, and is there a exact plan I can buy to cover such a thing? TYIA      

33 minutes ago, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

Not to hijack thread but quick question, I'm going to forgo the travel insurance because my upcoming cruise if leaving N.Y. and I'm from N.Y. I feel that travel insurance is more for people that have to fly to and from embark and disembark locations. I'm vaccinated, but if I tested + on embark day and could not board, and had no travel insurance what would my situation be, and is there a exact plan I can buy to cover such a thing? TYIA      

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

Here is the refund policy for COVID. You’ll be refunded in FCC. 

If you’d rather have cash, most third-party travel policies cover COVID as any other illness. You’d have to submit a documented test result and likely a doctor’s confirmation of diagnosis with the claim.

A professional like one of the agents at tripinsurancestore.com can help you find something to fit your needs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This.  Covid isn't a life sentence.

CDC guidance at this point is to quarantine for 5 days.  If you have a mild case and test negative 1-2 days before then you should be cleared to board (NCL would gladly have you as you’d carry basically zero covid risk for them while on board).  That said I’ve definitely seen people take longer to recover so, probably best to cancel and reschedule.  Even if you’re “better” you might have lingering fatigue or lacking your sense of smell which would just make for an awful trip.

I'm so sorry.  I tested positive two days before I was to fly down to Miami for my Regent cruise in January, in the midst of the Omicron surge.  I called my TA (was on hold for awhile).  Turns out, my TA was on vacation.  I ended up having to deal with a manager at the agency, but he called the cruise line, and they dealt with the situation.  It was all resolved within a few hours.

Bottom line: whether you are dealing with your TA or a cruise line, make sure you talk to a person. It will get resolved. 

11 hours ago, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

Travel insurance is NOT just for those needing to travel to the embarkation port!

17 hours ago, NauticalOtter said:

CDC guidance at this point is to quarantine for 5 days.  If you have a mild case and test negative 1-2 days before then you should be cleared to board (NCL would gladly have you as you’d carry basically zero covid risk for them while on board).  That said I’ve definitely seen people take longer to recover so, probably best to cancel and reschedule.  Even if you’re “better” you might have lingering fatigue or lacking your sense of smell which would just make for an awful trip.

Current CDC guidance goes beyond quarantining for 5 days. From the CDC website:

Recommendations for People with COVID-19

Have you tested positive for COVID-19 or have mild symptoms and are waiting for test results?

Here’s What To Do:

Isolate. Stay at home for at least 5 days.*

To keep others safe in your home, wear a mask, stay in a separate room and use a separate bathroom if you can.

Do not travel for 10 days.

If you can’t wear a mask, stay home and away from other people for 10 days.

To calculate the recommended time frames, day 0 is the day you were tested if you don’t have symptoms, or the date your symptoms started.

Contact your healthcare provider to discuss your test results and available treatment options. Watch for symptoms, especially fever. If you have an emergency warning sign, such as trouble breathing or persistent chest pain or pressure, seek emergency medical care immediately.

Day 6: Do a self-check. How are you feeling?

You could have loss of taste or smell for weeks or months after you feel better. These symptoms should not delay the end of isolation.

No symptoms or symptoms improving.

No fever without fever-reducing medication for 24 hours: You can leave isolation. Keep wearing a mask around other people at home and in public for 5 more days (days 6-10).

Symptoms not improving and/or still have fever: Continue to stay home until 24 hours after your fever stops without using fever-reducing medication and your symptoms have improved.

After you feel completely better, keep wearing a mask around other people at home and in public through day 10.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation-infographics.html

On 7/23/2022 at 5:53 PM, Ltm6 said:

We had to cancel our cruise after I tested positive at work ~1 week prior. Agree with the above, I submitted the online form like you did, but also spoke to a rep as well to follow up to make sure everything was complete. I've found it's helpful to call around as different reps offer differing levels of perceived helpfulness. Ended up getting a full refund (minus the cost of insurance) within a week . I think you'll be fine! Sorry for your luck . 

Thank you for the advice. I called again today and the agent did actually cancel the reservation. I received email confirmation of the cancellation and it had a note that it was cancelled due to positive covid test. She said to go to the online form and complete again now that it was cancelled. She didn’t seem to really know how the process worked but that was her suggestion. Not a ton of faith here but I guess at least step 1 is that it’s cancelled and now we just figure out how to go about confirmation of FCC. Did they send you anything upon your cancellation about owed FCC? Thanks! 

On 7/23/2022 at 2:57 PM, rhapsodybluezz said:

Thank you. I called again today, spoke to an NCL agent and the agent did actually cancel the reservation. I received email confirmation of the cancellation and it had a note that it was cancelled due to positive covid test. She said to go to the online form and complete again now that it was cancelled. She didn’t seem to really know how the process worked but that was her suggestion. Not a ton of faith here but I guess at least step 1 is that it’s cancelled and now we just figure out how to go about confirmation of FCC. Did they send you anything in addition to confirmation of cancellation about owed FCC or just the cancel email then FCC later on? Did you need to do anything else aside from calling to cancel plus the online form submission? Thank you! 

18 hours ago, NauticalOtter said:

Even if you’re “better” you might have lingering fatigue or lacking your sense of smell which would just make for an awful trip.

I would never cancel a fantastic vacation because I couldn't "smell" those around me.  Sounds more like a gain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jennsails said:

Thank you. I called again today, spoke to an NCL agent and the agent did actually cancel the reservation. I received email confirmation of the cancellation and it had a note that it was cancelled due to positive covid test. She said to go to the online form and complete again now that it was cancelled. She didn’t seem to really know how the process worked but that was her suggestion. Not a ton of faith here but I guess at least step 1 is that it’s cancelled and now we just figure out how to go about confirmation of FCC. Did they send you anything in addition to confirmation of cancellation about owed FCC or just the cancel email then FCC later on? Did you need to do anything else aside from calling to cancel plus the online form submission? Thank you! 

I received an email from NCL one week after I cancelled with confirmation of the FCC and the refund of all extra charges we paid.  Our FCC appeared online the next day and by Monday our credit cards were refunded the additional fees. I did not do anything else after cancelling and submitting the case.