Lisbon to New York, that's a lot of days at sea

The TA sailing on Epic in Dec 2022 is 9 days with only 2 single day port stops.  Great price, for obvious reasons, and we generally enjoy the sea days.  But that is a lot of time on board, especially in December with added risk of the Ponta Delgada stop being cancelled because of weather.  Just wondering how others have found these itineraries?  I didn't look to closely at the schedule when we booked because we are still in the cancellation window and only just realized that the Bermuda stop is only one day.  We are used to the 2-3 day Bermuda stays on the NY-Bermuda cruises.  Any tips or thoughts appreciated.  

The most amount of sea days I've done is 2.5 and that was coming back from the Southern Caribbean to NYC in the winter. The first half day was great, the last two days we spent in dam near a gale. First full day was very windy, but Noon almost all outside decks were closed. The last day everything outside was closed. I can't imagine 4,5,6,7 sea days in a row Lol

Am also considering taking my first transatlantic cruise in Dec.

Would appreciate some advice as to how many hours after disembarkation to book the flight home?  I've never sailed into NYC before.

Thank you in advance!

I’d look at how many of those sea days (if any) will be in warm weather.  We have sailed out of NY & Boston in the late winter and the first couple of days are too cold to enjoy sitting on the balcony, eating outside, etc.  Keep that in mind if being outside on sea days matters to you.  

We love a TA with lots of sea days.  DH and I were on the Encore inaugural TA from Southampton to NY in November 2019.  It was all sea days (I think a total of seven sea days on a nine day cruise, so other than embarkation and disembarkation, we were at sea).  We set sail in a storm, making for some rough seas the first few days and nights out, but it was fun nonetheless: lots of days and nights playing board games and trivia and getting to know our fellow passengers; sitting in the Observation Lounge as the waves hit us; sleeping in late in the morning and enjoying a leisurely breakfast; getting together with fellow passengers for various pre-planned as well as impromptu activities; exploring the ship; spending time in the spa; hanging out in our balcony when the weather grew warm enough and just reading or journaling.  It was a wonderful cruise and we both agreed that it was not long enough.  

We have since booked three more TAs (one one NCL, two on Regent) going forward.  Two of the three have a more traditional cruise format before becoming a TA voyage.  I think for us, it is becoming a habit.

I’ve done two transatlantics, a 7 day and a 10 day and neither of them had a port stop, so one was 9 consecutive sea days.

I would have appreciated a stop, especially on the 10 day, and the next transatlantic I book will probably have a couple, but both of those were a lot of fun. You get yourself in a bit more of a routine than is usual on a cruise, and I certainly drank more than usual, but they were both great fun.

If anyone is looking for an unusually port-heavy transatlantic itinerary then check out the NCL Sun to Lisbon.  It embarks from Miami October 31, 2022, or you can join the cruise in New York on November 3rd.  We are "port people" and would normally not book a transatlantic but signed on for this one because it is nicely paced with only 4 consecutive sea days.  There is also the added bonus of avoiding the airlines.

Edited by Travelling2Some

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

If anyone is looking for an unusually port-heavy transatlantic itinerary then check out the NCL Sun to Lisbon.  It embarks from Miami October 31, 2022, or you can join the cruise in New York on November 3rd.  We are "port people" and would normally not book a transatlantic but signed on for this one because it is nicely paced with only 4 consecutive sea days.  There is also the added bonus of avoiding the airlines.

i so wish i would have spotted this cruise prior to purchasing one way tickets from detroit to lisbon.

like you said, the itinerary looked amazing. sun over epic back..... oh well.

20 hours ago, cruzercruiser said:

The TA sailing on Epic in Dec 2022 is 9 days with only 2 single day port stops.  Great price, for obvious reasons, and we generally enjoy the sea days.  But that is a lot of time on board, especially in December with added risk of the Ponta Delgada stop being cancelled because of weather.  Just wondering how others have found these itineraries?  I didn't look to closely at the schedule when we booked because we are still in the cancellation window and only just realized that the Bermuda stop is only one day.  We are used to the 2-3 day Bermuda stays on the NY-Bermuda cruises.  Any tips or thoughts appreciated.  

Sea days best days.

(i am booked for this cruise)

Edited by MSUjohn
  • Like 1

First transatlantic with plenty of sea days was on the NCL Epic when it was the only large NCL ship. Loved it! Favorite trips are transatlantic cruises. NCLH offers plenty “to do” on the seas days. Since our Epic adventure, we have enjoyed a transatlantic cruise each fall (except 2020) and have bookings for 2022, 2023, & 2024. Still loving NCL but have moved to Oceania (smaller ships) for most future bookings.