Covid on Insignia

clalieb1

We were are the Insignia July-12-19 Bermuda cruise. Everything was great while on the cruise,but when arriving home my husband started experiencing Covid symptoms. I soon followed.We both tested positive. The symptoms are relatively mild,being we are vaccinated and twice boosted but was just wondering if anyone other than us brought back Covid. We are still quarantining but both of us are feeling fine. Just FYI.

Edited by clalieb1

Read the board for any cruise line here on Cruise Critic and you'll find passengers reporting the same thing .

I'd be surprised if there has been a cruise ship that has sailed where someone has not come down with COVID.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

The Crazy part is we had cruised on the Breakaway two cruises  October 2021 to Bermuda. The ship was sailing with about 1500 or so passengers,no problems. Not blaming Oceania at all don't get me wrong,just wanted to let people not assume a false sense of security. I tested 4 times before it came up positive,my husband had tested positive at test #3. My brother and sister in law came off a Celebrity cruise the beginning of the month and told me they came back with really bad "colds" I told them it was probably Covid,they took one test and it was negative. Just happy we sailed it was a really good time and we were fine while at sea,glad the germs stayed away until we returned home!

Edited by clalieb1

We were also on the July 12-19 Bermuda cruise. There were 7 of us traveling together. One couple tested positive for Covid after arriving home. The rest of us are fine up til now. Since we’ve been back for a week I think we’re probably ok but who knows with this virus?

Two days after cruise, tested positive. Took paxlovid.  Felt better a day later. While you don’t feel like you are dying, you are sick. Not a memory that you want to bring home from a cruise.  It’s happening often. With full ships, it’s going to happen to some passengers.  

Do not assume that you contracted Covid on ship.  It's very difficult to determine where you contracted Covid since you developed symptoms 2 days after getting home.  It is very possible that you were exposed to Covid upon disembarkation or in a very crowded airport, or in a taxi or UBER.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ruthnlarry said:

Do not assume that you contracted Covid on ship.  It's very difficult to determine where you contracted Covid since you developed symptoms 2 days after getting home.  It is very possible that you were exposed to Covid upon disembarkation or in a very crowded airport, or in a taxi or UBER.

Don’t make assumptions. Disembarked, got in my own car, and drove home. Live close to the port. Never was in an airport, Uber or taxi! Haven’t flown anywhere since March 2020. After we got home, stayed home, did laundry, didn’t see anybody.  No question about it. We got Covid on the cruise!

• Like 1

I agree about not making assumptions.We also had parked at the pier,no taxi,Uber or airport. My husband had symptoms Tuesday evening.We definitely got it on the ship,no question about it. I'm NOT blaming Oceania just wanted to warn everyone that it's still out there raising it's ugly head!

My wife and I were also on the 7/12 sailing of Insignia and also both tested positive for COVID at the end of it. However, since we were doing B2B cruises, we spent from Wednesday 7/20 through midday Monday 7/25 isolated in our cabin, taking Paxlovid. Fortunately we were in one of the Owner’s Suites, so we had plenty of room and a nice, large balcony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiservictor said:

My wife and I were also on the 7/12 sailing of Insignia and also both tested positive for COVID at the end of it. However, since we were doing B2B cruises, we spent from Wednesday 7/20 through midday Monday 7/25 isolated in our cabin, taking Paxlovid. Fortunately we were in one of the Owner’s Suites, so we had plenty of room and a nice, large balcony. 

Did Oceania provide the Paxlovid?

13 hours ago, cruiservictor said:

Thank You for sharing.  I am curious as to the protocol.

Were you under any mask restrictions when released from the 5-day isolation?

Were you tested at the end of the 5-day isolation?

If you had been tested positive, would you have been isolated another 5-days?

THANKS for any insight. 

Just an FYI -- my wife and I mentioned to our regular doctor that we would be cruising the Med this fall and he promptly wrote a prescription for each of us for Paxlovid.  He told us to take it with us just in case.  The prescription was free under out health plan. 

• Like 1

Hi it’s interesting about Paxlovid it’s not given to just anyone in the U.K. only those in high risk groups and those who are seriously ill with COVID and there is absolutely no way any Dr would give out any prescription for anything , “just in case” 

Edited by Rosroz

On 7/28/2022 at 9:34 AM, ruthnlarry said:

Agree +++

9 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

So, you didn't read the response that they drove themselves home from the port, were never on a plane and were not exposed except on the cruise?  

I agree that it was during the cruise, could it have possibly been picked up on land during a tour or while roaming on their own? Honest question.  

Clearly they weren’t the only ones to contract the virus. Again, I’m wondering if it originated on land possibly on a group tour. 

4 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

I agree that it was during the cruise, could it have possibly been picked up on land during a tour or while roaming on their own? Honest question.  

Clearly they weren’t the only ones to contract the virus. Again, I’m wondering if it originated on land possibly on a group tour. 

I think "during the cruise" can reasonably be interpreted as inclusive of activities on and off the ship during the duration of the cruise.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I think "during the cruise" can reasonably be interpreted as inclusive of activities on and off the ship during the duration of the cruise.  

Agreed.  I guess I’m wondering if it was brought on board early on and then slowly spread.  Testing a couple of days before embarkation  doesn’t guarantee that the ship will remain Covid free.   🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

Thank You for sharing.  I am curious as to the protocol.

Were you under any mask restrictions when released from the 5-day isolation?

Were you tested at the end of the 5-day isolation?

If you had been tested positive, would you have been isolated another 5-days?

THANKS for any insight. 

I was kind of surprised when we were released by the infectious disease officer that there was no discussion of restrictions of any kind. My wife and I did wear masks for the rest of the cruise, which was only about 18 hours. 

Our isolation officially ended Monday afternoon. We had been tested Sunday afternoon and again Monday morning - both negative. 

If we had tested positive either time, I had already been assured we would be disembarking the ship Tuesday morning in NY. Perhaps with more restrictions than we had, which was none. 

12 hours ago, cruiservictor said:

I was kind of surprised when we were released by the infectious disease officer that there was no discussion of restrictions of any kind. My wife and I did wear masks for the rest of the cruise, which was only about 18 hours. 

Our isolation officially ended Monday afternoon. We had been tested Sunday afternoon and again Monday morning - both negative. 

If we had tested positive either time, I had already been assured we would be disembarking the ship Tuesday morning in NY. Perhaps with more restrictions than we had, which was none. 

THANKS.  I suppose that if the infection had to happen, it was advantageous to occur at the end of the sailing.  I hope all is well.

• Like 1