Unlimited WiFi with Princess Plus

Traderboy

On 7/28/2022 at 2:40 AM, Traderboy said:

I think we do have WiFi included as Platinum members.  Can this be used as well?

I'd like to point out to OP and all that connecting to the wireless network on the ships is completely 100% free.  All this is doing is connecting your device to a provider, similar to what you might have at home, or when at a retail store or restaurant or in a hotel. 

In the case of Princess ships, making the wireless connection with your smartphone (or other compatible device) gives you free access to the MedallionClass App (MC App) and its functionality while on board the ship and it is completely free.

As for the Internet (badged as MedallionNet on Princess ships), that is an extra step requiring a login on your device in browser in order to access WorldWideWeb (WWW) content off the ship.  It is this Internet access that guests pay for - either directly or via booking the PLUS or PREMIER fare classes.

Another way the Internet might be accessed is via a wired connection which some folks may have at home or is an option in some hotels and offices is a key place where this is seen.  Wifi is simply a wireless connectivity solution to a gateway access point and is not the Internet itself.

I realize these terms get mixed and used for one another by some folks and usually understood, but sometimes I think it also causes confusion when the wrong term is used.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 5:45 PM, ClassyApplePie said:

I have Google Fi as phone carrier on Android and can send & receive text & phone calls over the ship wifi (INTERner) I cannot do the same to someone on board the ship unless he/she also have similar set up on phone.

If you use the WhatsApp app and both of you have it, there's no problem. I tested my friend at home during my last cruise and it worked like a charm.

I suppose I could have also called using the same app without being charged.

With my android phone Zoom also worked with any problems during the day for one of my meetings.

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If you use the WhatsApp app and both of you have it, there's no problem. I tested my friend at home during my last cruise and it worked like a charm.

I suppose I could have also called using the same app without being charged.

With my android phone Zoom also worked with any problems during the day for one of my meetings.

Thank you. Will give it a try.

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2022 at 2:30 PM, Billish said:

Correct, unlimited wifi with PP, one device per person at any one time. You can switch between devices of course.

I am happy with this but exactly  how do I go about switching between devices?

1 hour ago, Traderboy said:

I am happy with this but exactly  how do I go about switching between devices?

Log off on one device and log on with another one.

From memory, I think if you attempt to log on with a second device, you will be asked if you wish to be logged off from your other device. 

• Like 1

We are elite and just purchased the internet for the 2 of us on an 8 day Cruise. Medallion net for the 2 of us for an eight day cruise. Charged 79.92 for "Medallion-net 1 device WiFi". The 2nd charge is for 80.00 for "MedallionNet Device upgrade". Does this sound right? Thought elite was given the 1/2 off charge. No additional credits reflected in our "Travel summary".

Thanks for your input. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Log off on one device and log on with another one.

From memory, I think if you attempt to log on with a second device, you will be asked if you wish to be logged off from your other device. 

You don't even have to log off of the first device.  The system is fairly smart (obviously NOT written by the same people that wrote the Medallion App!) and it senses that you are still logged on at the first device and asks you if you want to log it off to use the new device.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You don't even have to log off of the first device.  The system is fairly smart (obviously NOT written by the same people that wrote the Medallion App!) and it senses that you are still logged on at the first device and asks you if you want to log it off to use the new device.

Thanks for explaing it better than I could !

So I am clear both of us have the plus package with internet. My husband watches you tube videos and plans to use the lap top for this in our cabin mainly in the afternoons. I plan to use my tablet as we both have plus can we use these at the same time under our own user names?

Thanks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

So I am clear both of us have the plus package with internet. My husband watches you tube videos and plans to use the lap top for this in our cabin mainly in the afternoons. I plan to use my tablet as we both have plus can we use these at the same time under our own user names?

Thanks

Yes, each person has their own logon so each person can utilize the internet for different functions at the same time. 

8 hours ago, cdrmer said:

We are elite and just purchased the internet for the 2 of us on an 8 day Cruise. Medallion net for the 2 of us for an eight day cruise. Charged 79.92 for "Medallion-net 1 device WiFi". The 2nd charge is for 80.00 for "MedallionNet Device upgrade". Does this sound right? Thought elite was given the 1/2 off charge. No additional credits reflected in our "Travel summary".

Thanks for your input. Any suggestions?

Looks odd.  Are you booked with the PLUS fare plan or not?  The device upgrade is typically where one person on the PLUS will upgrade to the 4-device plan which is an extra $10/day, but again, you should have 50% off if Platinum/Elite. 

The MC App discount feature has just been fixed sometime today and is now offering the correct pricing at 50% off.  Perhaps you bought earlier?  Or, have you checked that the App recognizes your CC Member Level correctly?  Tap on your photo at top left and out slides a menu, again with your photo.  Pasted on top of the photo to the side is a Sea Witch logo in the color of your Member Level.

Great thread.   It brings up a question I have...

Instead of purchasing 2 single device internet packages for $10/person for my wife and I ($20/day), would it work if one of us purchased the 4 device package ($20/day) and we both shared it, thereby getting to use 2 devices each for the same cost?

Trvlngnrs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trvlngnrs said:

Great thread.   It brings up a question I have...

Instead of purchasing 2 single device internet packages for $10/person for my wife and I ($20/day), would it work if one of us purchased the 4 device package ($20/day) and we both shared it, thereby getting to use 2 devices each for the same cost?

Trvlngnrs

If you don't book using Princess Plus and intend to buy internet as an add-on then yes, that would be the way to go.  The system makes no distinction as to who actually purchases or is using with a multi-device plan.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

If you don't book using Princess Plus and intend to buy internet as an add-on then yes, that would be the way to go.  The system makes no distinction as to who actually purchases or is using with a multi-device plan.

Thank you for confirming this.

ANDROID:

I am an android user.  I know the OP is iPhone, but wanted to post for others reading this.  The Android world is slowly moving to Google Messages as the default app for text messages.  Samsung and some of the other phone manufacturers have begun loading Google Messages as the default text messaging app on new phones.

That being said, Google Messages will work like iMessage.  It works over the INTERnet to send SMS and MMS (text and picture messages).  If your android phone is using a different default app, it is easy to download Google Messages from the Play Store.

• Thanks 1