Occasionally live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

9 hours ago, pppatpc2 said:

Did anybody take the Princess Killarney tour out of Cobh?  Is so, can you tell me which side of the bus was a better view?  Yes, I will be waiting for Mabel to get out of the gift shop.

haha.  I will post your question on our roll call and see if I get a reply.

Bayou Steakhouse / Sabatinis

Bayou and Sabatinis are open alternate evenings so far on this cruise 

We had pre-booked Bayou Steakhouse prior to start of cruise and have been informed that our reservation has now been changed to the following day.

Therefore suggest that anyone who has pre-booked either dining experience check their reservation once onboard.

• Thanks 2

On 8/1/2022 at 4:16 AM, venussuz said:

I'd love to see a Princess Patter or a menu if you find time to post photos. So glad you're having good weather - things got a bit rocky at the end of our cruise. Added some extra motion to those sea days, so not a problem having to grab onto furniture occasionally. :classic_biggrin:  Enjoy your cruise - the itinerary looks fantastic!I

Here is a copy of yesterday's Patter-

Doc 08 02 2022-2.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 8/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Sadly, on the IP there is no Alfredo's (or International Cafe).  We have not yet tried pizza at Slice which is by the pool,

With no international cafe, where can one get a frozen coffee drink and a snack?

On 8/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

One more post from today.  We spent the day in Belfast, our first time visiting.  Our first stop was at Titanic Belfast, one of the nicest museums we have ever experienced.  We easily spent 3 hours there.  Fascinating, interactive and very well done.  Our tickets were purchased in advance online and we were in the early 9 am entry group.  After the museum we purchased an all day "Glider" ticket for the local urban transportation and spent the rest of the day visiting the sites.  No big buses, no waiting for 40 pax to load and unload, no waiting for Mabel who was in the gift shop !  The weather was lovely, sunny and 70s.

t1.jpg

Great tip! We'll be visiting Belfast in a few short weeks via Enchanted Princess and definitely wanted to see this museum. How did you get to the museum from the ship? Is it walking distance?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Here is a copy of yesterday's Patter-

Doc 08 02 2022-2.pdf 1.61 MB · 34 downloads

Thanks for the patter as well as the Crooner's menu. Good to see so much going on during a port day! Also helps to see the plus package will still serve me well for drinks, so no need to go premium. 

Much appreciated, particularly the hassle of converting the menu. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:10 PM, bubbaed said:

Great tip! We'll be visiting Belfast in a few short weeks via Enchanted Princess and definitely wanted to see this museum. How did you get to the museum from the ship? Is it walking distance?

Funny you should ask.  We had a lot of misinformation about the topic of walking to the museum.

It is possible but be advised it is over two miles.  We had a lovely day, so we did it and would do it again.

I posted specific information about this topic in the CC section on British Isles ports. 

Here is the direct link:

Also, when we pre-booked tickets for the Titanic Belfast museum I did have a couple of questions.  I utilized the "Contact Us" part of that website and was pleased that I got a response within a few hours.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, teacherplus said:

Which dining room is better? Thank you!

I am not sure honestly, and would assume they are both pretty similar (?).  Every meal we have had, including embarkation lunch, has been in the Bordeaux dining room and we have been pleased with the food and service.

19 hours ago, venussuz said:

Thanks for the patter as well as the Crooner's menu. Good to see so much going on during a port day! Also helps to see the plus package will still serve me well for drinks, so no need to go premium. 

Much appreciated, particularly the hassle of converting the menu. 

We have not yet run out of drink choices !!

• Haha 2

On 8/4/2022 at 7:48 AM, SargassoPirate said:

With no international cafe, where can one get a frozen coffee drink and a snack?

Sorry, we have not had the opportunity to order any frozen coffee drinks.  But snack availability is everywhere - just order on the medallion app and it is delivered to you.  It has successfully worked for us in our cabin, in lounges, by the pool, etc. 

And we have yet to run out of food to eat considering the buffet is open so many hours and there is pizza, burgers, tacos, sandwiches etc by the pool.

We have ordered food / snacks a few times to our cabin and it was always delivered correctly and at the proper temperatures within 15 minutes (at the most).  We were impressed.  And the chips with the homemade chunky guacamole is a favorite.

I will look into the frozen coffee drinks and get back to you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We like to do some ballroom dancing when possible. The last 2 Princess cruises we were on recently, they have a pre-recorded ballroom music session in one of the lounges every night. Is this venue offered on the Island Princess at all? Do any of the live bands play any ballroom music during their set so we can do an occasional Waltz, Foxtrot, etc? Any more Princess daily activity schedule you can post here is welcome. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

I have seen couples dancing to live music in the Wheelhouse bar when I have been walking past

Thanks for triggering the memory - that's where I remember people dancing, though not so much ballroom dancing as it's a rather small dance floor. I remember a pianist and vocalist but not much more in the way of live music there. I very well could be mistaken as I see drums and a keyboard in my photo.

The wooden floor space in the picture and a small space to the right is the dance floor.

IMG_20220610_220925.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

The shows on this voyage are 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm.  DMW has been working well for us.  The first night the host gave us a choice of a few different tables (we are particular, lol) and we settled on one.  Table for two. Now it is "our table" for the 30 days we are onboard.  Hopefully.  Our server and his assistant are very good.  We have just been walking in and going to that table, no need to check in with the host.

As I mentioned earlier, we have been eating early, earlier than we usually do at home.  That probably helps.  Not sure how well DMW has been working out with the 7pm or later diners...

Which DR?  Did you originally use DMW pre-cruise to make a DR res?  If so, did you book individual nights or the entire voyage (obviously you are on multiple voyages)?  I am glad to read the DR mgmt is setting folks up with same table and waiters like the old TD.  This is what we want - same table and waiters.  We are booked for 6pm in Provence (November).  Also, nice to see you can just head to the table on arrival.  What is your table number, if you don't mind (esp. if in Provence).

ETA:  I see from a later post you are in Bordeaux (Deck 5).  That used to be the AT DR and Provence (Deck 6) was the TD DR.  They will be pretty identical in layout and such.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Bayou Steakhouse.  The service was a touch more attentive at Sabatini's but maybe they spoiled us.

OMG how big the portions were.  Who can eat all of that steak ???

Yes, the food was cooked well and delicious.

Here is the filet (14 ounces?) and the porterhouse (22 ounces).

filet.jpg

14???!!!  It has always been 8oz.  But many I have felt have been a bit heavier if I had a scale.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 7:48 AM, SargassoPirate said:

13 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Sorry, we have not had the opportunity to order any frozen coffee drinks.  But snack availability is everywhere - just order on the medallion app and it is delivered to you.  It has successfully worked for us in our cabin, in lounges, by the pool, etc. 

And we have yet to run out of food to eat considering the buffet is open so many hours and there is pizza, burgers, tacos, sandwiches etc by the pool.

We have ordered food / snacks a few times to our cabin and it was always delivered correctly and at the proper temperatures within 15 minutes (at the most).  We were impressed.  And the chips with the homemade chunky guacamole is a favorite.

The premium coffee stand is on Deck 5 (Patisserie) or also in the Buffet (Lido Forward).

ETA:  When we were on Island, they still had the physical coffee cards and you would use the New Grounds Package.  No doubt, they still do that with the virtual coffee package.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The premium coffee stand is on Deck 5 (Patisserie) or also in the Buffet (Lido Forward).

ETA:  When we were on Island, they still had the physical coffee cards and you would use the New Grounds Package.  No doubt, they still do that with the virtual coffee package.

Thanks, steelers.  I enjoy the frozen mochas in the International Cafe for a nice mid-afternoon treat. 

23 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Glad to hear.  We ordered club sandwiches from room service on the Caribbean Princess in June and one night it took 2 hours.

Also thanks for looking into the coffee situation.  I am always happy with any coffee, even the buffet coffee (ish), but with the plus package I am spoiled with double Americano. 

Very nice of you to look into all of these things for us.  Can't wait to board!

• Like 3

On 8/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, gam888 said:

We like to do some ballroom dancing when possible. The last 2 Princess cruises we were on recently, they have a pre-recorded ballroom music session in one of the lounges every night. Is this venue offered on the Island Princess at all? Do any of the live bands play any ballroom music during their set so we can do an occasional Waltz, Foxtrot, etc? Any more Princess daily activity schedule you can post here is welcome. Thanks in advance. 

I agree with Sarnia, that there are couples dancing in the Wheelhouse Bar to the live entertainment.  Not specifically ballroom dancing.  I looked through some of the Princess Patter's from earlier in this cruise, but did not see any ballroom dance music sessions published.