Occasionally live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

Two more questions:

a) Are soaps bars available for the cabin or only the liquid soaps?

b) Are they offering the Pub Lunch during your cruise (may have to wait until later in the cruise to answer this one)?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, caribill said:

b) Are they offering the Pub Lunch during your cruise (may have to wait until later in the cruise to answer this one)?

only liquid soap in our cabin

no pub lunch yet…….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm looking forward to your posts about Iceland on the 2nd leg of your b2b as that was the best part of our TA May to June. Also great to hear positive reports about the Island Princess, a beautiful ship with crew who were nothing but a pleasure to deal with. Down the hall from the Bayou and Sabatini's, we thoroughly enjoyed the old world charm of the Wheelhouse bar. 

I'd love to see a Princess Patter or a menu if you find time to post photos. So glad you're having good weather - things got a bit rocky at the end of our cruise. Added some extra motion to those sea days, so not a problem having to grab onto furniture occasionally. :classic_biggrin:  Enjoy your cruise - the itinerary looks fantastic!

I definitely recommend Fish of the West Fjords excursion from Isafjordur if you haven't booked anything yet. It was a lovely stroll through the village of Sudureyri while learning about and sampling some of the local fish. Beautiful scenery on the bus ride there and back, as well as a crossroads in a tunnel through the mountain - fantastic engineering!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Two more questions:

No answer yet on the Pub lunch.

But, our cabin had both liquid and bar soap in the bathroom.  And, this morning I asked our lovely cabin steward Karina for some more bar soap and she was happy to provide it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We have been eating early by choice for this cruise, as I said it is port intensive.  So early dinner, early show, a couple of drinks in a lounge and early to bed for early rising.

We have attended all three early (7:30pm) shows in the Princess Theater.  Never really very crowded and easy to get seats - even pretty socially isolated if you pleased - up to 5 or 10 minutes before showtime.  In addition to the Encore production show described earlier, there was an Irish comedian (PG with a rare PG-13 joke),  and a violinist accompanied by the show band. 

We are glass half-full, go with the flow people.  So even if anything was not our favorite in the world, we would give it a try.  As an amateur musician I can understand the hours of practice performers must spend to hone their craft and offer their talents.  So unless something is really, really horrible you won't find any criticisms from me.  (But, if it is really, really horrible - well then I will definitely let you know!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Additional information on the Encore production show.

A fellow passenger, Vegas Vixen, posted this on another roll call we follow.  We have not yet run into VV on this cruise, but her description is worth reposting:

For those passengers who were enquiring about the onboard production shows, here's my take on last night's "Encore" performance.  Excellent stage design (replica of a beautiful Montecito Garden) and ballgowns/tuxedos for the 12-member performers who delivered a selection of pop, opera and musical theater renditions in English and Italian.  The lead soprano was incredible - her voice soaring to the rooftops, pure and clear.  The Island Princess onstage orchestra is impressive and from the audience reaction, it's a hit. Apparently, word of this show has spread with the theatre having only a few empty seats and yes, masks are required thru-out the entire performance.  I wouldn't sit thru it again (I'm onboard for a total of 44 nights) but it is definitely worth seeing once.  Hope this helps.....cheers, Linda

• Like 4

Re: our travels to Southampton port

We flew direct from Tampa to London Gatwick on BA using EZAir.  When we checked prices before booking, EZAir saved us about $1000.  Service was lovely on BA, and I even slept.  Well ok, maybe four or five hours.

Our original plan was to fly in the day before (of course!) and then take the train directly to Southampton.  We have done that before and it is very easy.  Overnight in Southampton and then head to the port.

However, a day or so before we left we were advised that due to strikes our train was cancelled.  We had purchased our tickets well in advance for a highly discounted rate of only a few pounds.  Now if we took the next available train it would cost about 10 times more - over 60 pounds each!  So, plan B.  Always be flexible!  Instead we booked a room at the Premier Inn at Gatwick Airport and purchased more reasonable train tickets for the next day. (We got a full refund on our original tickets).  The Premier Inn was great and we were impressed at the size of the room - pretty huge by European standards.  The only down side was there is not much to do by the airport and we were tired and decided not to head into London.  The airport did have some restaurants - we liked Giraffe - and there was on onsite restaurant and very good Costa Coffee shop.

The next day we took an early 8:09 train which should have gone directly to Southampton.  However, mid trip announcements were made of cancelled trains and service.  What should have been a straightforward run turned into 3 changes of trains, but really not much wait for the next train. 

We kept smiling and enjoyed the scenery of the English countryside and eventually made it to the port.

As mentioned earlier, check in at Southampton was easy peasy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your review. We’re on the Island Princess for the November Mediterranean/Transatlantic cruise, and I’m glad to know that everyone is masking up. We took a cruise on the Sky Princess last October when masks were required, and we had no problems. It’s in Princess’ best interest to keep the masking protocol in place to help prevent any covid outbreaks that can spread throughout the ship.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Additional information on the Encore production show.

A fellow passenger, Vegas Vixen, posted this on another roll call we follow.  We have not yet run into VV on this cruise, but her description is worth reposting:

For those passengers who were enquiring about the onboard production shows, here's my take on last night's "Encore" performance.  Excellent stage design (replica of a beautiful Montecito Garden) and ballgowns/tuxedos for the 12-member performers who delivered a selection of pop, opera and musical theater renditions in English and Italian.  The lead soprano was incredible - her voice soaring to the rooftops, pure and clear.  The Island Princess onstage orchestra is impressive and from the audience reaction, it's a hit. Apparently, word of this show has spread with the theatre having only a few empty seats and yes, masks are required thru-out the entire performance.  I wouldn't sit thru it again (I'm onboard for a total of 44 nights) but it is definitely worth seeing once.  Hope this helps.....cheers, Linda

Best production show we ever saw on Princess was "On The Bayou" on Island Princess - in the Universe Lounge with the rotating stage, of which there is no more Universe Lounge after the changes to Island.

Just wondering if they are doing the show in another venue or Princess Theatre?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Thank you for your review. We’re on the Island Princess for the November Mediterranean/Transatlantic cruise, and I’m glad to know that everyone is masking up. We took a cruise on the Sky Princess last October when masks were required, and we had no problems. It’s in Princess’ best interest to keep the masking protocol in place to help prevent any covid outbreaks that can spread throughout the ship.    

Looks to me like masks are optional.  It's up to each person to determine their level of comfort regarding masks.  I'm vaxxed and double boosted and wear a mask when required, but not when it's optional.  

"Masks are recommended, but not required, in the majority of our sailings, though you may be required in select venues or certain situations depended on COVID levels. Guests will be notified of any mask guidance and this will be clearly designated through signage and onboard communications.

We recommend guests choose a good quality mask and wash or replace their mask daily. Masks should have two or more layers, completely cover the nose and mouth, fit snuggly against the sides of the face and have a nose wire. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Well, we had a drink in the Bayou Cafe - which is attached to the steakhouse - the other night and enjoyed a guitarist / vocalist.  This evening, based on your query, I went over and asked the restaurant manager your question.  He replied that although they have had jazz in that space in the past there were complaints that it was too noisy.  The restaurant is not that big.  He didn't say "never" but also didn't seem too optimistic that a jazz band was in the near future.

Thank you for the effort, it is appreciated!  Thought a little jazz trio would be fun. 

I used to be a people person, but people ruined it for me.

• Haha 1

Continued thanks for the "live reports."

Two more questions:

What times are the evening shows in the theater?

How is Dining My Way working out? If you have a reservation are you being seated when you arrive at the reserved time or do you have to wait a while?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:12 AM, phabric said:

On other ships there is Alfredo’s Pizzeria or another name  beside the pizza place poolside on Lido deck.

Is there another pizzeria place beside the poolside one?

Sadly, on the IP there is no Alfredo's (or International Cafe).  We have not yet tried pizza at Slice which is by the pool,

On 8/1/2022 at 9:18 AM, voljeep said:

Best production show we ever saw on Princess was "On The Bayou" on Island Princess - in the Universe Lounge with the rotating stage, of which there is no more Universe Lounge after the changes to Island.

Just wondering if they are doing the show in another venue or Princess Theatre?

"On the Bayou" is listed on our tv as an upcoming entertainment choice.  I will keep you informed when and if that happens!

• Like 3

On 8/1/2022 at 1:52 PM, caribill said:

Continued thanks for the "live reports."

Two more questions:

What times are the evening shows in the theater?

How is Dining My Way working out? If you have a reservation are you being seated when you arrive at the reserved time or do you have to wait a while?

Thanks

The shows on this voyage are 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm.  DMW has been working well for us.  The first night the host gave us a choice of a few different tables (we are particular, lol) and we settled on one.  Table for two. Now it is "our table" for the 30 days we are onboard.  Hopefully.  Our server and his assistant are very good.  We have just been walking in and going to that table, no need to check in with the host.

As I mentioned earlier, we have been eating early, earlier than we usually do at home.  That probably helps.  Not sure how well DMW has been working out with the 7pm or later diners...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sabatini's.  Prompt attentive service.  There was a little mixup with our reservation but it was handled quickly and professionally.  We loved the food, but too much of it !!  Our server picked up on the fact that I wasn't thrilled with the sole piccata, whisked it away before I even said anything and then brought me the menu back for another choice.

Here's a pic of the burrata.  Yummy.

Burrata.jpg

• Like 4

Bayou Steakhouse.  The service was a touch more attentive at Sabatini's but maybe they spoiled us.

OMG how big the portions were.  Who can eat all of that steak ???

Yes, the food was cooked well and delicious.

Here is the filet (14 ounces?) and the porterhouse (22 ounces).

filet.jpg

ph.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One more post from today.  We spent the day in Belfast, our first time visiting.  Our first stop was at Titanic Belfast, one of the nicest museums we have ever experienced.  We easily spent 3 hours there.  Fascinating, interactive and very well done.  Our tickets were purchased in advance online and we were in the early 9 am entry group.  After the museum we purchased an all day "Glider" ticket for the local urban transportation and spent the rest of the day visiting the sites.  No big buses, no waiting for 40 pax to load and unload, no waiting for Mabel who was in the gift shop !  The weather was lovely, sunny and 70s.

t1.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit
  • Like 6

On 8/1/2022 at 4:16 AM, venussuz said:

I'm looking forward to your posts about Iceland on the 2nd leg of your b2b as that was the best part of our TA May to June. Also great to hear positive reports about the Island Princess, a beautiful ship with crew who were nothing but a pleasure to deal with. Down the hall from the Bayou and Sabatini's, we thoroughly enjoyed the old world charm of the Wheelhouse bar. 

I'd love to see a Princess Patter or a menu if you find time to post photos. So glad you're having good weather - things got a bit rocky at the end of our cruise. Added some extra motion to those sea days, so not a problem having to grab onto furniture occasionally. :classic_biggrin:  Enjoy your cruise - the itinerary looks fantastic!

I definitely recommend Fish of the West Fjords excursion from Isafjordur if you haven't booked anything yet. It was a lovely stroll through the village of Sudureyri while learning about and sampling some of the local fish. Beautiful scenery on the bus ride there and back, as well as a crossroads in a tunnel through the mountain - fantastic engineering!

Sorry, I must have missed this post !  Yes, will try to post a Patter. 

We are looking forward to Iceland and Greenland.  Will look into the West Fjords excursion, as we do not yet have a firm commitment for an excursion in Isafjordur.  Thank you for the recommendation.

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit
  • Like 1