MSC Relaxes Testing Requirements for US Cruises

JT1962

11 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Discussed a few comments up. It isn't clear that Carnival has a basis for that for the Bahamas.

Still, odd that MSC doesn't really say "except where required by destination protocols". Clearly Canada is such a destination right now (although MSC doesn't have an cruises there in the next 12 months I don't think).

Sorry, I don't see another thread. 

Yes, they say nothing about "except this or that"?

Edited by Native Floridian 26

53 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Sorry, I don't see another thread. 

Yes, they say nothing about "except this or that"?

In this thread. I posted a comment above based on what two of the cruise vloggers have published in the last few days, as well as the Carnival policy. It has since been pointed out that with respect to Bahamas, Carnival may have no basis for what they are saying. I haven't researched Bermuda and Grand Cayman, but I do know Canada still requires it.

These things tend to get clarified over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it looks like MSC has changed the plan on Covid Testing. We leave on the MSC Divina on the 14th and we just got this email.

CURRENT COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS UNTIL AUGUST 28, 2022:
(For U.S. and Puerto Rico residents departing on cruises from U.S. ports)

• All fully COVID-19 vaccinated guests are required to show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal. MSC Cruises may provide additional testing, if necessary, at the terminal during embarkation or on board to protect our guests and crew.
  • All guests not fully vaccinated (based on the above vaccination requirements) are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to ship embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal. These guests may undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age.

UPDATED POLICY BEGINNING AUGUST 29, 2022 (Pending destination requirements):

• For fully vaccinated guests sailing 5 nights or less from U.S. ports, COVID-19 testing within 3 days of embarkation is recommended, but not required.
  • Fully vaccinated guests sailing 6 nights or longer from U.S. ports must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation. MSC Cruises recommends vaccinated guests to test within 1 day of embarkation, when possible.
  • Unvaccinated guests 2-11years must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation for all cruises from U.S. ports. MSC Cruises recommends unvaccinated guests to test within 1 day of departure, when possible. These guests may undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age.

MSC Cruises’ current vaccination requirements will remain in place for sailings from U.S. ports. All guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. MSC Cruises recommends that fully vaccinated guests receive booster doses when eligible to do so, per CDC recommendations. MSC Cruises crew are fully vaccinated and regularly tested.

You can sail with confidence knowing that MSC Cruises will operate under its industry-leading health and safety protocols, enabling safe and enjoyable cruising.

22 minutes ago, AnA4ever said:

Well it looks like MSC has changed the plan on Covid Testing. We leave on the MSC Divina on the 14th and we just got this email.

• All fully COVID-19 vaccinated guests are required to show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal. MSC Cruises may provide additional testing, if necessary, at the terminal during embarkation or on board to protect our guests and crew.
  • All guests not fully vaccinated (based on the above vaccination requirements) are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to ship embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal. These guests may undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age.

• For fully vaccinated guests sailing 5 nights or less from U.S. ports, COVID-19 testing within 3 days of embarkation is recommended, but not required.
  • Fully vaccinated guests sailing 6 nights or longer from U.S. ports must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation. MSC Cruises recommends vaccinated guests to test within 1 day of embarkation, when possible.
  • Unvaccinated guests 2-11years must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation for all cruises from U.S. ports. MSC Cruises recommends unvaccinated guests to test within 1 day of departure, when possible. These guests may undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age.

MSC Cruises’ current vaccination requirements will remain in place for sailings from U.S. ports. All guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. MSC Cruises recommends that fully vaccinated guests receive booster doses when eligible to do so, per CDC recommendations. MSC Cruises crew are fully vaccinated and regularly tested.

You can sail with confidence knowing that MSC Cruises will operate under its industry-leading health and safety protocols, enabling safe and enjoyable cruising.

This is absolutely ridiculous!  Carnival just changed their policy today and confirmed no testing required after August 8th. So why is MSC now waiting until August 28th? Ugh. 

21 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

This is absolutely ridiculous!  Carnival just changed their policy today and confirmed no testing required after August 8th. So why is MSC now waiting until August 28th? Ugh. 

I also just realized the Covid testing at Walgreens and CVS is no longer free. Walgreens wants over $180!!! I think I found 1 private test center here in Osceola County but it is still $79 for a Rapid Antigen.  What crap!

1 minute ago, AnA4ever said:

I also just realized the Covid testing at Walgreens and CVS is no longer free. Walgreens wants over $180!!! I think I found 1 private test center here in Osceola County but it is still $79 for a Rapid Antigen.  What crap!

I literally have no idea what MSC is thinking.... wouldn't surprise me if they reverse this next week but who knows.  The August 29th date is completely arbitrary.  

1 hour ago, AnA4ever said:

Testing is harder to find, unless you use eMed and its $70ea, I'm hoping to have a back-up plan somewhere in Orlando during our travel over from Pensacola. Maybe it will change but I'm not counting on it.

8 hours ago, wdowns9 said:

Testing is harder to find, unless you use eMed and its $70ea,

The Abbott BinaxNOW kits with eMed proctoring are about $30-$35 each including shipping purchased through Optum.com. The problem with buying the test kit and proctoring together like this is that you really need one or two extra kits on hand should the test come back invalid, or you drop the card on the floor.

A somewhat cheaper option is to pay $15-$25 for proctoring by itself which can use any FDA approved test kit like the ones you can get through USPS. I got four kits from the grocery store pharmacy. This solves the problem of having a spare, although having never used this approach, I can't personally recommend it or not.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, glentally said:

So help me understand, everyone has to show their cards and test results when you get on the ship AND as you get off in the Bahamas? Private Islands? Isn't there long lines?

The Bahamas don't require anything of vaccinated passengers at this time. What you need to board the ship depends on when your cruise is, and what ports of call it has.

7 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

The Bahamas don't require anything of vaccinated passengers at this time. What you need to board the ship depends on when your cruise is, and what ports of call it has.

Thanks for the quick response.  I get more confused on each question and answer since there is no universal answers. 9 (Which Cruise line/Country/Or what day it is).  Flying to Portugal and Norway the next 4 weeks and they don't have restrictions about vaccinations or tests. I'll spend my money where it is appreciated and I am STILL dying to get on that first cruise after more than 2 years!

1 hour ago, glentally said:

Thanks for the quick response.  I get more confused on each question and answer since there is no universal answers. 9 (Which Cruise line/Country/Or what day it is).  Flying to Portugal and Norway the next 4 weeks and they don't have restrictions about vaccinations or tests. I'll spend my money where it is appreciated and I am STILL dying to get on that first cruise after more than 2 years!

Ive been on 5 cruises this year using my vax card along with negative test 3 days prior. When they changed the policy to no testing under 6 days I snagged another 5 day because testing wasnt required until I go notice it is and the new date is after Aug29th. When my wife was in the UK she just needed to show her vax card for entry and the US policy was to test 24hrs before heading back to the US then it changed to not required. Testing either at the airports or in town aboard is getting harder to find. Policy is fluid and will change almost everyday.

15 hours ago, AnA4ever said:

Greetings - Correct, Walgreens now charges for a COVID test if the patient has NO COVID symptoms. If the patient has ANY possible COVID symptom's such as a headache cough, etc. then the COVID test is covered by your major medical insurance.  

4 hours ago, glentally said:

So help me understand, everyone has to show their cards and test results when you get on the ship AND as you get off in the Bahamas? Private Islands? Isn't there long lines?

No need to show test results,  that is for ship only.  Nothing needed for private island.

For vaccination cards, We did not need it for Bahamas.  For Curaçao  and Bonaire , we did have to show it when walking off and entering end of dock  and tour buses. Not a big deal.  

Totally depends on Country, port and what is required when you sail. It is constantly changing.

Norwegian Cruise Line is dropping testing requirements for vaccinated passengers for all cruises and allowing unvaccinated passengers after Sept 2. Certain itineraries may still require testing and / or vaccines, based on the requirements of the ports visited. 

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-drops-covid-19-vaccine-requirements-welcomes-everyone-to-sail/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Norwegian Cruise Line is dropping testing requirements for vaccinated passengers for all cruises and allowing unvaccinated passengers after Sept 2. Certain itineraries may still require testing and / or vaccines, based on the requirements of the ports visited. 

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-drops-covid-19-vaccine-requirements-welcomes-everyone-to-sail/

Come on MSC!  

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 11:43 PM, AnA4ever said:

I am leaving on the 27th on Seashore and got the same email

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Come on MSC!  

MSC is basically doing the same but remember the destination Islands make there own rules.  i am leaving on the 27th on Seashore and we are going to Grand Cayman and as of the last time I looked they still require testing prior to entering the country.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:28 AM, publicpersona said:

The Abbott BinaxNOW kits with eMed proctoring are about $30-$35 each including shipping purchased through Optum.com. The problem with buying the test kit and proctoring together like this is that you really need one or two extra kits on hand should the test come back invalid, or you drop the card on the floor.

A somewhat cheaper option is to pay $15-$25 for proctoring by itself which can use any FDA approved test kit like the ones you can get through USPS. I got four kits from the grocery store pharmacy. This solves the problem of having a spare, although having never used this approach, I can't personally recommend it or not.

I have a question about this. Doesn't the statement "must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation" negate using a self-administered but proctored Covid test? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfan0073 said:

MSC is basically doing the same but remember the destination Islands make there own rules.  i am leaving on the 27th on Seashore and we are going to Grand Cayman and as of the last time I looked they still require testing prior to entering the country.

I need for MSC to do away with the testing on  7 night Med cruises or at least give you 3 days to take it. Due to travel time and 6 hour time difference, it makes it very difficult to fly to Europe for a cruise after taking the test.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I have a question about this. Doesn't the statement "must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation" negate using a self-administered but proctored Covid test? 

It seems that they aren’t accepting the at home proctored tests anymore.

I don’t see anything about it on their website. It was always clearly listed as an acceptable test.

We used the at home proctored tests for our last 2 cruises. 

This would be very inconvenient if they’re no longer allowing us to use them. ugh!