Cruise Critic headed out on Marina on Aug. 7 -- any questions?

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

As noted, we had dinner in La Reserve that night. We had the Odyssey menu; I was among the lucky media members to preview the Dom Perignon menu in Miami when it debuted a few years ago. 

Our table consisted of three couples from southern California- two from the same town, Long Beach - so it was a spirited evening. All had cruised Oceania before.

All in all, I did like the meal and the wines, although I might have enjoyed the French menu a bit more, upon reflection. (What i learned on this trip after eating it twice is that Wellingtons are not my favorite!) The pours and portions are generous - we were all quite happy and full when we left. Everyone agreed that it's an outstanding value for $95. 

Menu and photos below. 

2B51833A-D557-40EC-8592-31370FC394E6.jpeg

5E8C17AA-A80A-42AB-85BE-0A75350F8D84.jpeg

267A157B-A783-4C69-AE23-86DFE74CA5FC.jpeg

44B9947C-3E18-454C-A576-F0A6C674B9FA.jpeg

56BFDDC6-1F4A-4799-A997-04BB771DF6FA.jpeg

E302973C-E8E7-4DB7-B1DE-57873382194B.jpeg

5C4932FA-3FC5-46F6-B523-578F1A114082.jpeg

07BE93F5-8CEE-4DB1-A67B-AA8F1CEAD8FE.jpeg

674C7DA9-2D85-4067-98A8-F6F8193B02C0.jpeg

326CB703-7909-48A4-9B5F-46A30D503754.jpeg

DC9D89A2-40F2-4931-9D70-9B3842CA5E79.jpeg

5DE11074-6DF5-4CFA-82F2-3AA31C8547C1.jpeg

78222B4E-C24D-43C9-B525-72BF953A5592.jpeg

58248EE8-AB4E-4503-B237-495B6BDA7527.jpeg

• Members

Our last port was Stockholm, the end of the cruise. I woke up to find us sailing through a gorgeous landscape of small Swedish islands, dotted with fancy summer homes. The scenic sailing went on for several hours. This ranks among the most scenic port approaches I've had - comparable to Kotor. 

I had signed up for a tour that was in a category I had been told was new - Go Local. It turns out it is not a new program; Oceania has had it since 2019. And....it wasn't led by a local. Our guide was very nice but she was Italian and had not actually been in Stockholm all that long. This all made me a bit cranky, especially as it was my first visit to Stockholm. 

in any case, our group was small, only six people, and that was nice. We took the Metro to see the art in the stations, and then visited the Ostermalm market. A huge contrast to the Riga market! this one is was quite gourmet.

We received a small snack and had time on our own. A Swedish friend of mine told me to try Princess cake and that was delicious. 

I had to go back to the ship to work but the tour continued back on the Metro and went to a local supermarket. My husband stayed on the tour - he was also cranky to spend his one day in Stockholm this way so I have promised him that we'll come back. (I saw friends posting pictures from the ABBA Museum and that looked so much more fun!) 

I'm back to saying that I love the idea of alternate tours but I think they need some tweaking to have more interest. This one fell flat on a lot of fronts. 

DFD34C35-74FA-4B00-965D-C968495C4B52.jpeg

0A91F925-C6E3-4763-896E-80AB6E74D08C.jpeg

97C2DB64-B608-4C45-A1E8-6AC847BF31AC.jpeg

133FC224-A277-4A76-866C-C70342F4F47F.jpeg

03CB98FA-71E6-4242-A112-178C535B4FAF.jpeg

9BA6A854-3593-4261-9C6E-D170FC7B9A20.jpeg

2DC6DE45-9AD6-4B7F-8EDC-A41329200625.jpeg

08421C4C-A868-4D91-8769-A16E115B1913.jpeg

D0588981-FA86-40E4-AB0D-A2857A027587.jpeg

9ACA6D86-DB7C-4334-B152-AA419BE4254C.jpeg

D365A424-45F3-4458-AA22-AA3DCE96CC1F.jpeg

74607DF9-42B2-4BD7-8D40-4844832B68B9.jpeg

635BFFD0-4ECC-4515-9A22-4982F6A5AABB.jpeg

• Members

And that's a wrap! on my home now. Airport transfer on the bus was easy, no issues at the Stockholm airport. We are on IcelandAir, connecting through Reykjavik. Tomorrow I go to the dentist immediately to fix that tooth! 

I still have some stories to write and I will post the links here. If you have any questions, let me know! 

• Thanks 3

Chris, as avid cruiser’s who have sailed many of the top cruise lines, including some who have since disappeared, we thought your postings from this Oceania cruise were both helpful and insightful. I suspect most avid cruisers eventually settle on what cruise line they prefer and tend to become somewhat loyal because it fits their personalities and their personal travel goals…not to mention, their personal budget. We have settled on Oceania and will complete our 40th with them on the new Vista inaugural cruise next Spring.

In cruising, plus some non cruise travel, we’ve visited 152 countries in the last 25 years. Oceania’s focus on traveling virtually the whole world accessible by sea just works for us. Second, Oceania tends to attract experienced travelers who are also interesting people and that appeals. Of course the excellent service, smaller comfortable ships and focus on food excellence also appeals.

We live in the far north of NW Montana and many of our friends have second homes in warmer climates. Our second home is jumping an Oceania cruise where we explore the would and are pampered. We have discover in talking to our friends with second homes that our costs and theirs tend to balance out.

Most importantly, we have made friends with people we have sailed with from all over the world. So in the summers when we are not sailing we love to have many of them visit as we take them to Glacier National Park near us and out on Flathead Lake, the largest Lake west of the Mississippi where we live.

Thankfully we started cruising while we were both still working and are healthy enough that we still love the active exploring that s essential to really appreciate port intensive cruising.

We look forward to your promised future postings…

Bruce

• Like 3

Loved all your comments, Chris.  Your insight into the conundrum regarding tours to meet both the older O veterans and the younger cruisers (who must eventually replace the older ones) is well taken. Interesting that, on a cruise designed to impress the media, O would not have done their homework to be certain that the guide was capable of delivering what was promised (and was Swedish).  We had the opportunity to do the Baltic on O a few years ago, embarking in Stockholm.  It was a wonderful place to spend a few days pre-embarkation.  We stayed at  the Clarion Wellington, a boutique hotel recommended by Rick Steves - spartan, but hospitable, with a lovely buffet breakfast.  Actually, there was a Steves' group staying there to start a tour. 

When you and your husband go back, consider the Wasa Museum.  It's amazing!!!

1 hour ago, Sny said:

Loved all your comments, Chris.  Your insight into the conundrum regarding tours to meet both the older O veterans and the younger cruisers (who must eventually replace the older ones) is well taken. Interesting that, on a cruise designed to impress the media, O would not have done their homework to be certain that the guide was capable of delivering what was promised (and was Swedish).  We had the opportunity to do the Baltic on O a few years ago, embarking in Stockholm.  It was a wonderful place to spend a few days pre-embarkation.  We stayed at  the Clarion Wellington, a boutique hotel recommended by Rick Steves - spartan, but hospitable, with a lovely buffet breakfast.  Actually, there was a Steves' group staying there to start a tour. 

When you and your husband go back, consider the Wasa Museum.  It's amazing!!!

Wondering if Go Local has more to do with sights visited as opposed to local tour guides. Sorry to hear she was new to Sweden but that has more to do with tour operator. Even Tours by Locals are from people who have moved to the country they lead tours in. Often it's their enthusiasm and desire to live their that comes through. Yes I find excursions are hit and miss. 

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I wish Oceania would stop serving veal.  It is inhumanely raised, just gross.  

Are you a vegan?

Many animals are raised inhumanely  so just do not eat what  suits your PC morals

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Are you a vegan?

Many animals are raised inhumanely  so just do not eat what  suits your morals

No, I'm not a vegan, but I also don't think we should treat animals cruelly.  As a farmer and a human I think we need to stop these inhumane practices.  I also don't eat foie gras.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

No, I'm not a vegan, but I also don't think we should treat animals cruelly.  As a farmer and a human I think we need to stop these inhumane practices.  I also don't eat foie gras.  

I agree

The trouble is   people do not know where their food is from or how it was raised  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I agree

The trouble is   people do not know where their food is from or how it was raised  

You mean it doesn't come in Styrofoam trays wrapped in plastic?  😉  

I also raise chickens for eggs.  They free range and live very comfortable lives.  In return they have a retirement plan that doesn't include a stew pot. 

And my sheep (I'm a shepherd, really) are the same.  They give me wool and keep my fields beautifully trimmed, and they live until a ripe old age.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Others consider it to be a delicatesse.

Yeah, some people eat endangered species, some people eat foods derived from cruel methods, some people eat foods from non-sustainable sources and some people are simply oblivious to the consequences of their actions.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

Yeah, some people eat endangered species, some people eat foods derived from cruel methods, some people eat foods from non-sustainable sources and some people are simply oblivious to the consequences of their actions.   

it is pretty hard to keep up with the way things are grown/raised etc

• Like 1

Just now, LHT28 said:

it is pretty hard to keep up with the way things are grown/raised etc

Eat manufactured food  & hope you survive all the chemicals

Happily, I can grow or buy locally from trusted sources most of what I eat at home.  Processed foods are a small part of my diet.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Gee & Gee said:

Hello Chris! I disembarked Marina in CPH the day you boarded. I was just down a few doors, in 11028. Jude was our butler — I can’t tell if that’s him in your photo but he was a very pleasant guy. 

Last week we had very good dinners in Red Ginger and Polo Grill. However, we had dreadful food and service in Toscana and the main dining room (just 1 night apiece in those venues). Service in both seemed totally disorganized and hot dishes weren’t even warm. My ‘shrimp cocktail’ in the main dining room were the 3 tiniest, limpest, room temperature shrimp I’ve ever been served. All I’ve heard is that food is top notch on Oceania so we were pretty surprised to have such slow, poor meals. I’m curious to hear if you have similar experiences. We were also unimpressed by the same dry, bland goodies day after day in the floor 11 Executive Lounge. (As you know, right by our room and yours so we kept going back but found it lacking). 

We are still considering giving Vista a try next year because it looks lovely. But our 2 cruises prior to this were on Seabourn and we found those to be much better in terms of food and personal attention. I was expecting Oceania to be comparable but it just wasn’t. With the bigwigs and press on your cruise, I will be curious to hear whether Marina steps it up from one week to the next. 

Gee & Gee: We will be in 11028 for a month this Dec-Jan. Is the suite door exactly opposite the door into the Executive Lounge or is there some spacing. In other words, was there any noise or issue with the 11028 position?

Thank you

We were on board Marina in May with 5 couples and were in 11024 to 11034 and no one ever had any noise issues being across from the Executive Lounge.  We have been by the Concierge Lounge as well and it has not been an issue.  We will be back aboard Jan. 18 in Buenos Aires but on Deck 10, 10024 for this cruise and looking forward to it. 
Enjoy, Mauibabes 

23 hours ago, mauibabes said:

We were on board Marina in May with 5 couples and were in 11024 to 11034 and no one ever had any noise issues being across from the Executive Lounge.  We have been by the Concierge Lounge as well and it has not been an issue.  We will be back aboard Jan. 18 in Buenos Aires but on Deck 10, 10024 for this cruise and looking forward to it. 
Enjoy, Mauibabes 

Thank  you.  Really like not having to go far for my early morning first cup of Jo! Maybe read the paper.