Cabin cough

rtdiva

Have yet to catch cruise cough or noro on any cruise.

Some of my background is in public health and even pre-pandemic there were certain practices that She Who Must Be Obeyed and I followed.  Without sounding like a lecture or dissertation, here are a few things that have kept us safe and healthy while traveling worldwide and 50-some cruises.

1.  We take every vaccine available for travel and keep our shot cards up to date.

2.  On airplanes we whip out a couple of sanitizing wipes and wipe down every hard surface we are likely to touch, and pre-covid this used to get some sidelong glances from other passengers.

3.  When we enter a new hotel room, out come a couple of more wipes and we wipes down every hard surface we are likely to touch - including the remote - the most germ laden device in the room.

4.  We never, ever eat food from street vendors.

5.  If we do end up eating in an establishment that may be questionable, we only eat hot food and stay away from salads.

6.  In any food establishment, we are always on the lookout for staff wearing plastic gloves.  If you see them, watch and see how many surfaces those gloves touch other than food.  Plastic gloves only serve to keep the wearer's hands clean. They are not magic sanitizing gloves.

7.  When cruising, after we are seated in the MDR or buffet, we sanitize our hands.  Think about it.  Sure, you maybe sanitized your hands on the way in, or did "washy washy" if handwashing sinks are available at the entrance, but between there and the table how many things did you touch?  Serving ladles or tongs? The underside of the chair as you were seated?  The menu?  The condiment containers?  Think about that before you pick up and butter a roll to pop into your mouth

I'm sure I left something out, but these practices have kept us safe and illness/disease free while traveling domestically, internationally, and even the local BBQ joint.

Safe and healthful travels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it was mold and Lysol wipes on the vent in the cabin usually helped .  The new ventilation systems are a real plus.  Didn’t have any allergy issues last few sailings.  Saline nasal spray may help keep you moisturized and clean. 

Set the cabin temperature at the lowest heat setting at night, so you are not sleeping under the cold air from the air conditioning unit over the bed.   Have been doing this for years, greatly reduced nasal and sinus problems, plus colds symptoms for us. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 5:57 AM, John Bull said:

Air-con is almost-always the culprit - it dries the air.

When I came home with "cabin cough," i also suspected it was because of the Air-Con and the position of the bed. I could actively feel it blowing right onto me throughout the night (I was solo in the cabin, if that matters to anyone) and came home with a nasty cough for about 6 weeks post-cruising. I finally had to call my PCP's office and get something for it (and continued to do precautionary covid testing which was also negative).