Is Diamond Princess Medallionclass and International Cafe?

funcky

Website said it is Medallion.  I look up Youtube video of crew member recently staying in passenger room in 2022 and see him use card vs medallion to open door.

Video said they get to stay in passenger room because no passenger until Sep 2022.

I went to princess website and it said there is International Cafe on one page, then on other there is no mention of it.  Deck plans do not show it.

This kinda make me doubt info especially just come out of pandemic.

If anyone know for sure, please advise.

Thanks,

🙂

10 minutes ago, funcky said:

Website said it is Medallion.  I look up Youtube video of crew member recently staying in passenger room in 2022 and see him use card vs medallion to open door.

Video said they get to stay in passenger room because no passenger until Sep 2022.

I went to princess website and it said there is International Cafe on one page, then on other there is no mention of it.  Deck plans do not show it.

This kinda make me doubt info especially just come out of pandemic.

If anyone know for sure, please advise.

Thanks,

🙂

By now all ships should be medallion class I would think. Maybe crew didn't need the medallions, I don't know if the cabin stewards still use cards to enter the cabin while they work, but they did on our last medallion cruise in 2019. I also checked the deck plans for Diamond and see it on deck 5 starboard side.

Diamond Princess does not have an International Cafe. That's the Internet Cafe on deck 5.

Diamond was reconfigured for the Japanese and Asian market and several things are quite different - no IC, Izumi baths (segregated by gender), etc. 

Yes, it's MedallionClass.. all Princess ships are, or will be by the time they sail.. 

There was no international cafe the last time we sailed on her about 7 years ago, a long time ago now.

It did have a pastry tray from which you served yourself cookies or small snacks down in the atrium where you got your coffee. The tray was just left out on the bar with a clear plastic cover over it and a pair of tongs and some napkins.

The Diamond was a lovely ship to sail on but we did miss the international cafe.

1 hour ago, funcky said:

I work remotely and so far Princess Medallion internet is crucial that work for my configuration.

The MedallionNet performance varies by ship and also by position in the world.

9 hours ago, funcky said:

Thank you everyone for your info.

I work remotely and so far Princess Medallion internet is crucial that work for my configuration.

regards,

🙂

Medallion Class and use of the medallion for identification and other everyday activities is totally different than MedallionNet - Internet @ sea which is a connection between your smart device and the satellite internet. Princess advertises a very fast internet. Actual upload/download speeds vary by ship and by the ship's location. For sailings from San Diego the ship sails at latitudes where internet connections should be fairly fast. When the ship sails in September you can ask about the speeds then.

Regarding the actual medallion disk.  Crew probably using crew ID cards for ship access, opening doors, and other on board crew access and activities. Makes sense as these ID cards have their photos on them and can last for their entire contract time on board vs a medallion disk which has a limited battery life.

I notice speed is good when it port.  When at sea, most of time it take approx 1-2 seconds before character type on keyboard appears.  It is a bit painful but at least I can still connect.

I use VPN then Remote Desktop and this really limit as what cruise line I can go on.

As of right now Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, and MSC are ok for my work configuration.

I have layoff my other favorites NCL and Carnival as I cannot even connect.   I heard Carnival will update their connection and RCCL is testing with good result with Starlink on Freedom of the Seas.

Hopefully in future all cruiseline internet will be as good as on land.

Once again thank you for all info.

🙂

2 hours ago, funcky said:

I notice speed is good when it port.  When at sea, most of time it take approx 1-2 seconds before character type on keyboard appears.  It is a bit painful but at least I can still connect.

When you're in port a good number of passengers are off the ship exploring the area. As such they aren't using the ship's bandwidth which leaves more for you.