Giovanni's on Oasis

I have been reading recent posts on Facebook that the food in Giovanni's was not that good. Has anyone recently dined there and had a different experience?. I have the 3 night dining package and am deciding between Giovanni's or Izumi.

We have eaten at Giovanni's seven or eight times and have never had a bad meal, food was delicious and the service was very good.  We have tried Jamie's Italian twice and were disappointed, we won't try it again.  We dined at Izumi's recently on the Mariner, the food and chef show were ok, nothing to write home about.  If you really like the habachi table cooking and rarely do it around your home, then go for it.  If not, Giovanni's, in my opinion, is the better choice.

11 hours ago, woneill63 said:

We have eaten at Giovanni's seven or eight times and have never had a bad meal, food was delicious and the service was very good.  We have tried Jamie's Italian twice and were disappointed, we won't try it again.  We dined at Izumi's recently on the Mariner, the food and chef show were ok, nothing to write home about.  If you really like the habachi table cooking and rarely do it around your home, then go for it.  If not, Giovanni's, in my opinion, is the better choice.

Thanks. We are leaning towards Giovanni's. Any recommendations?

12 hours ago, woneill63 said:

That is very interesting as we prefer Jamie's to Giovanni's.  It may be when you go or just personal preference.  Personally I've had a GREAT meal at Giovanni's and another time I went I didn't enjoy it.  I would agree that the Filet is excellent and was recommended by the staff.  I was surprised thinking that would be best a Chops but will admit it was fabulous at G's.  My recommend, listen to wait staff, they really know what is good and what people are enjoying.

Bottom line to the original poster, you can't go wrong with either.  It really depend on whether you want Italian or Japanese food.  Both are excellent in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frizzo22 said:

Get the filet at Giovanni's, imo...its the best in the fleet.

I've had it before and it is very good.  I seem to recall saying it was better than Shops because of a bit more seasoning. 

17 hours ago, caravellov1 said:

I have been reading recent posts on Facebook that the food in Giovanni's was not that good. Has anyone recently dined there and had a different experience?. I have the 3 night dining package and am deciding between Giovanni's or Izumi.

Some of the previous posts have been full of information and opinions, but they weren't specifically about Giovanni's on the Oasis.  

In all honesty, I have to tell you that I have only had two bad specialty restaurant meals in all of the cruises I have taken on Royal Caribbean.

One of them was Giovanni's on Oasis.

Choose Izumi.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:19 PM, caravellov1 said:

When are you cruising? I have a reservation for Giovanni's on Oasis in 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, AspiringCindy said:

When are you cruising? I have a reservation for Giovanni's on Oasis in 2 weeks.

We leave on August 28th. Since I purchased the 3 night dining package, I can't make advanced reservations.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:19 PM, caravellov1 said:

On Oasis now.  Had read some of the negative Giovannis reviews, but our first night experince was great.  DW had the filet, which was very tasty and soft enough to cut with a fork.  She called it outstanding.  I had the Linguine and clams, which was flavored with herbs and very small hot red peppers which really improved the dish.  Service was outstanding.  Only comment I have is that the tiramisu was okay, but not exceptional.  Should have tried another desert.

By the way, get your Aquatheater reservations in as soon as you board.  Went last night and every seat was taken 30 min before show time.  The show is new and unbelievably good.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Defender1158 said:

On Oasis now.  Had read some of the negative Giovannis reviews, but our first night experince was great.  DW had the filet, which was very tasty and soft enough to cut with a fork.  She called it outstanding.  I had the Linguine and clams, which was flavored with herbs and very small hot red peppers which really improved the dish.  Service was outstanding.  Only comment I have is that the tiramisu was okay, but not exceptional.  Should have tried another desert.

By the way, get your Aquatheater reservations in as soon as you board.  Went last night and every seat was taken 30 min before show time.  The show is new and unbelievably good.

Any appetizer recommendations for the Oasis Giovanni’s?

thanks!

7 minutes ago, psac said:

Any appetizer recommendations for the Oasis Giovanni’s?

thanks!

We always  get the soup of the day,  meat and cheese plank, Heirloom tomato salad, and the pork belly.  Ossobuco for me,  Filet for my wife and always ask for a shared plate of Gnocchi. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We always  get the soup of the day,  meat and cheese plank, Heirloom tomato salad, and the pork belly.  Ossobuco for me,  Filet for my wife and always ask for a shared plate of Gnocchi. 

thanks!   Sounds like good choices!!

Chefs change every few months, and at any of the specialty restaurants the quality of the meal depends on the quality of the chef. We have been in Gio's on a B2B on Oasis where the chef left on TAD, and the new chef prepared everything completely differently. The first week was great, the second very forgettable.

• Like 1