Britannia speciality restaurants

LLOM

They definitely are. Just got off her on Sun and everything was open. The Glass House only served food a while into the cruise but it too was as normal, and the rest of the restaurants were booking as usual.

It was a foodie delight to go from one of them on one night and then another for another night, before testing around them again most eves!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kfulwell said:

Yay!  Looking forward to sampling them in a couple of weeks!  Have just booked Limelight as well.

Kate

I hope you enjoy. Their speciality restaurants (for foodies at any rate) always make the cruise so much more of an event.

Mind you, we did the MDR on 3 of our 14 evenings and the food was slightly better in there than we recall it being previously - and a black tie meal in the MDR was actually quite impressive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Camberley said:

I hope you enjoy. Their speciality restaurants (for foodies at any rate) always make the cruise so much more of an event.

Mind you, we did the MDR on 3 of our 14 evenings and the food was slightly better in there than we recall it being previously - and a black tie meal in the MDR was actually quite impressive.

We were disappointed with both Epicurean and Sindhu on our June cruise, the food was just about OK, but the service was not up to pre covid standards. However the Beach House ticked both food and service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

We were disappointed with both Epicurean and Sindhu on our June cruise, the food was just about OK, but the service was not up to pre covid standards.

What a shame. Maybe we’ve been fortunate that we’ve never had a below excellent meal in any of them and service has been wonderful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We were disappointed with both Epicurean and Sindhu on our June cruise, the food was just about OK, but the service was not up to pre covid standards. However the Beach House ticked both food and service.

Ah, that's a shame.  Hoping socks are firmly pulled up while we're on board.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 4:03 PM, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

@kfulwell if possible can you please let us know Limelight acts for your cruise.  We are due on Britannia shortly hence interested to know. Thanks.

It's Andy Abraham for the first week at least.  No mention of a different act for week 2 yet.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know I I should Google this, but roughly what are the prices for the Glass House and the Beach (?) House 

Beach house had a surcharge (If I remember right, the other week it was about £7 pp), several free items and some you pay a little extra for. But each time it was a cheapish but very good quality meal (and a huge step up from the standard fayre on board.)

Glass House: about £7 for three small plates (tapas-style) if I remember right. But their larger plates were cheaper than gastro pub prices I think (around £8 each). We normally found 3 small plates each was a great light lunch!

Edited by Camberley

1 hour ago, Camberley said:

Beach house had a surcharge (If I remember right, the other week it was about £7 pp), several free items and some you pay a little extra for. But each time it was a cheapish but very good quality meal (and a huge step up from the standard fayre on board.)

Glass House: about £7 for three small plates (tapas-style) if I remember right. But their larger plates were cheaper than gastro pub prices I think (around £8 each). We normally found 3 small plates each was a great light lunch!

Thanks for the information.

47 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Just watched a vlog on the beach house, he said it was the worst food he as ever had on land or sea, hopefully lots of people see it and we will be able to get a table easily.

Yes I saw several vlogs with similar critiques. Well, vlogs: typically dodgy camera work, naff music overlayed and often inane babble as the vlogger is trying to “get noticed” when all they’re doing is repeating/showing are what others have said/shown previously in a much better way!

And similar criticisms of many of the other venues. But, like my view on a lot of vlogs, it’s each to their own, with our own personal tastes and all that. But we’ve never had a disappointing meal in a Beach House yet….#temptedfate

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've just got off Britannia today.  We didn't get to Beach House, it was fully booked for the days we were interested in.  Items were priced individually, with mains around the £8 mark, I think.  Glass House was £6.95 for 3 tapas, I think, which was excellent value, and I remember £8.50 for an 8 oz ribeye with garlic prawns.  We felt it was really good value.  Only spoke to one person who had been in Beach House, they said it was excellent and huge portions.

• Thanks 1

We have just got off Britannia today and ate twice in the beach house.

It was £7.50 a head and some items had an extra charge .

Prawn starter was £2.99 extra and Lava rock steak was £3.99 extra.

The portions were very big.

We also ate in Sindu which was charged per item.

Edited by Mrs applehead
Posted too early.
  • Thanks 2

I agree with others about Epicurean being a disappointment. I enjoyed Sindhu but the best recommendation I have is that you try The Chef's Table in the Cookery Club. It cost £45 per person but the food was excellent and prepared in front of you. Welcome drinks and three different wines served with dinner were also included. Numbers are limited to 14 guests so it feels really special 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruiser5137 said:

I agree with others about Epicurean being a disappointment. I enjoyed Sindhu but the best recommendation I have is that you try The Chef's Table in the Cookery Club. It cost £45 per person but the food was excellent and prepared in front of you. Welcome drinks and three different wines served with dinner were also included. Numbers are limited to 14 guests so it feels really special 

On another site they said the Epicurean was very good which on our last cruise it was.

17 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

On another site they said the Epicurean was very good which on our last cruise it was.

I thought it was mediocre on Britannia in June, and the service was well below the standard we had enjoyed in the past, and Sindhu was only marginally better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought it was mediocre on Britannia in June, and the service was well below the standard we had enjoyed in the past, and Sindhu was only marginally better.

It is your opinion nobody can say if your right or wrong, but I prefer to go with the people who have recently cruised and gave there opinion.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

It is your opinion nobody can say if your right or wrong, but I prefer to go with the people who have recently cruised and gave there opinion.

I would say that June is pretty recent! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruiser5137 said:

Came off Britannia yesterday and my issue with Epicurean was that the meals I ate there (went twice so I could try both menus) were far too fussy; there were far too many flavours on the plate. 

Unless the menus have changed substantially they always had "flare".  Surely this is a personal thing nothing to do with either the quality or service.

I dislike Indian food but went along to Sindhu with family members for the experience. It was okay, not my taste but I can't blame the restaurant for that!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Unless the menus have changed substantially they always had "flare".  Surely this is a personal thing nothing to do with either the quality or service.

Yes very much a personal thing when it comes to food. I mean. I’d eat there evening when on board to be honest. Ok, possibly vary it with a few of the other speciality venues, but for us it’s a venue to return to again and again 

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2