Revised NCL/Oceania COVID Guidelines Out Today: Drops Pre-Cruise Testing for the Vaccinated

MEFIowa

5 minutes ago, msn123 said:

Am I understanding correctly that now if we start in the US and tour and disembark in Canada we do not need to pretest to board? (October NYC to Montreal)   And yes, the Arrivcan app is already on the phone...I know we for sure need that!

I think you still need to pretest  if you are entering Canada

"take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary"

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#boarding-excursions

17 minutes ago, msn123 said:

Am I understanding correctly that now if we start in the US and tour and disembark in Canada we do not need to pretest to board? (October NYC to Montreal)   And yes, the Arrivcan app is already on the phone...I know we for sure need that!

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think you still need to pretest  if you are entering Canada

"take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary"

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#boarding-excursions

One doesn't need a pretest to enter Canada from the US per se , but one does need it to board a cruise ship in Canada. 

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

One doesn't need a pretest to enter Canada from the US per se , but one does need it to board a cruise ship in Canada. 

Maybe it will change by Oct  but as of today according to the Canadian government site

as per the statement in my post above  also pretest required  if the ship stops in Canada  at any point in the cruise

See the link above

48 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe it will change by Oct  but as of today according to the Canadian government site

as per the statement in my post above  also pretest required  if the ship stops in Canada  at any point in the cruise

See the link above

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my answer:  I meant entering Canada by air, train or land, a pretest is not required.  But, yes, if one is arriving in Canada by ship, a pretest is required.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

So, per your earlier post (#184?): How will knowing what others have encountered from September 3 onward help you with September 3 embarkation decision? Actually, no need to answer that nor answer any question about the growing evidence regarding longer term Covid implications despite supposed “recovery” from symptoms.

In any case, hopefully (and expectedly), the O allowance for unvaccinated persons will be dropped before the end of this year.

Sorry 

we will start October 3rd 

On 9/3/2022 at 2:37 PM, LHT28 said:

See the link above

I am confused. This page https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada says

Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

But as others have pointed out, the Canadian government has another page that says a pre-test is required if entering Canada on a cruise. 

anyone on a Canada cruise in September?

9 minutes ago, travelover99 said:

I am confused. This page https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada says

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

But as others have pointed out, the Canadian government has another page that says a pre-test is required if entering Canada on a cruise. 

The page you post is the "general" arrival page. "Water" on this page means private boats, ferries, etc.

Cruise ships are specifically dealt with on the cruise ship page: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise  - they have additional restrictions. Testing is required prior to embarkation if you are boarding in Canada, or stopping at a Canadian port.

It is confusing ...  🍺🥌

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, travelover99 said:

Yes  it is very confusing

ARRIVECAN  as I understand you upload you vaccination status   prior to entry into Canada

the 2 nd part

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Some are suggesting to do a dummy entry for ARRIVECAN to see how it works  ..(you can delete the application)

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

• Like 1

This has been a question on our upcoming Viking Expedition cruise.  We board in Canada, then leave Canada, with port calls only in Canada before sailing to our final destination, New York.

So far, we have had Viking say that, if already in Canada, you need an ArriveCan to board the ship and then that you do not.  The ArriveCan telephone hotline operators say the same thing in different calls: you do and you don't.  The ArriveCan info site say you don't need one if you depart from Canada and don't leave Canadian waters or you are leaving Canada.

Have folks  on Oceania's Alaskan Cruise, departing from Vancouver had any words of wisdom to contribute?

Haven't cruised in Canada lately but did a driving/land visit in July 2022 that required ArriveCan. Very easily replaced initial record with a new record at last minute (changed entry point due to traffic).

The first ArriveCan is VeriFLY level of hassle but any later ones are super easy (or were in July). Passports and vaccine info are saved in your account - even our address while in Canada autofilled. 

If I were in your shoes I would set up an ArriveCan record for the cruise 'just in case'. Even though my guess is you don't need one 🙂

Aside: the Canadian official at the border chuckled when we showed our ArriveCan code on my phone - "just give me your passports" and we were through super quick. 

Edited by babysteps

10 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

This has been a question on our upcoming Viking Expedition cruise.  We board in Canada, then leave Canada, with port calls only in Canada before sailing to our final destination, New York.

So far, we have had Viking say that, if already in Canada, you need an ArriveCan to board the ship and then that you do not.  The ArriveCan telephone hotline operators say the same thing in different calls: you do and you don't.  The ArriveCan info site say you don't need one if you depart from Canada and don't leave Canadian waters or you are leaving Canada.

If the ship is NOT returning to Canada  the ARRIVECAN  is not required  to board the ship

Some cruise lines are confused by the wording of the rules  but they are pretty clear 

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

the ship is NOT returning to Canada  the ARRIVECAN  is not required  to board the ship

Some cruise lines are confused by the wording of the rules  but they are pretty clear 

I admit to not having looked at it but is there any reason not to complete it as a kind of insurance move.

(It is so hated that the new leader of Canada’s opposition party made it a platform to do away with it!)

1 minute ago, Robjame said:

I admit to not having looked at it but is there any reason not to complete it as a kind of insurance move.

I have not  filled one out  but there are several discussions going on at Canada cruises forum on CC

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

They ask the date  you are entering Canada 

well if the ship is not returning  what do you put ??

Some cruise lines are suggesting PAX put the embarkation date  which is lying 

I guess  people either follow the ARRIVECAN rules or  lie as some cruise lines suggest

Let your conscience  be your guide 😉

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If the ship is NOT returning to Canada  the ARRIVECAN  is not required  to board the ship

Thanks Lyn.  That was my reading.  But the worry is how the ship's embarkation folks read it.  Hate to be denied embarkation because someone at the dock thinks it's required.

(PS. Is it Lyn or Lynn?  My memory fails me.)

48 minutes ago, Robjame said:

(It is so hated that the new leader of Canada’s opposition party made it a platform to do away with it!)

Yes, I agree there is no reason to not fill it out.  But I did a mock form, and it asked for embarkation port (Toronto), then it asked for the first port of arrival in Canada.  Would that be Toronto, or Saguenay, or...?

On one the Alaska cruises leaving from Vancouver, a pax filled it out guessing and got a call or email from the Canadian Immigration Folks in the middle of the cruise requiring him to be present for a test as he was in violation.  It took some time to straighten it out.  That's what I want to avoid. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, I agree there is no reason to not fill it out.  But I did a mock form, and it asked for embarkation port (Toronto), then it asked for the first port of arrival in Canada.  Would that be Toronto, or Saguenay, or...?

On one the Alaska cruises leaving from Vancouver, a pax filled it out guessing and got a call or email from the Canadian Immigration Folks in the middle of the cruise requiring him to be present for a test as he was in violation.  It took some time to straighten it out.  That's what I want to avoid. 

Was the cruise leaving Canada & not returning or he did not submit his  test pre boading?

There are so many different  issues   no wonder people  go do lally

I would ask on the Canadian cruisers forum there are much smarter people there LOL

Do you get time in Toronto to explore?

Enjoy

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would ask on the Canadian cruisers forum there are much smarter people there LOL

Do you get time in Toronto to explore?

Enjoy

Yes. 2  full days prior to boarding (assuming the flights go as planned), then 1 full day before departure (i.e. an overnight).

We've been making a list of museums and other places to see.  Do you have any recommendations?  Our joint email is maxwell dot lutz at gmail dot com, if you have suggestions and don't want to take this thread further off topic. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Was the cruise leaving Canada & not returning or he did not submit his  test pre boading?

There are so many different  issues   no wonder people  go do lally

I think it left Vancouver and visited only Us ports afterward, not returning to Canada, but the post was not entirely clear.

11 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think it left Vancouver and visited only Us ports afterward, not returning to Canada, but the post was not entirely clear.

AHH  yes & the cruise lines were apparently telling people to enter Victoria as their port of call 

so I guess Immigration was looking for them  & many others LOL

22 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Have folks  on Oceania's Alaskan Cruise, departing from Vancouver had any words of wisdom to contribute?

Here's the easy part first - you need an ArriveCan entry prior to your flight into Toronto (assuming you are flying in).

Your trip fits under the rules below (from the Cdn gov't site for cruise ships):

Boarding cruises and shore excursions

Some requirements for boarding a cruise, either at the beginning of the cruise or as part of a shore excursion, may be different depending on where you are boarding and which countries your ship will visit.

Mandatory requirements for all travellers, including Canadians, include pre-embarkation testing and can include ArriveCAN if your ship is coming to or returning to Canada.

Choose the scenario below that best fits your cruise plans:

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another countryCruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

Your trip leaves Canada (albeit with some Canadian stops first) so you don't need a second ArriveCan prior to boarding. If you want to do one as security, it will not hurt. Use Toronto for both the embark and first port city. (The reason they can be different is that ArriveCan needs to accommodate pax who board in the US, then arrive in Canada - example: Anchorage as embark, then Vancouver as first Canadian port).

Vancouver-based Alaska cruises are difficult compares, as the ArriveCan rules get very different if you embark in Vancouver, sail to Alaska, and then return to Victoria/Vancouver on the same ship. They fall under the other category in quote above - "starting an international cruise ...".

Just view ArriveCan as being an electronic customs and vax form - equally as confusing as some paper ones we've all encountered😈

Enjoy your Octantis sail! 🍺🥌

11 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Here's the easy part first - you need an ArriveCan entry prior to your flight into Toronto (assuming you are flying in).

Your trip fits under the rules below (from the Cdn gov't site for cruise ships):

Boarding cruises and shore excursions

Some requirements for boarding a cruise, either at the beginning of the cruise or as part of a shore excursion, may be different depending on where you are boarding and which countries your ship will visit.

Mandatory requirements for all travellers, including Canadians, include pre-embarkation testing and can include ArriveCAN if your ship is coming to or returning to Canada.

Choose the scenario below that best fits your cruise plans:

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another countryCruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

Your trip leaves Canada (albeit with some Canadian stops first) so you don't need a second ArriveCan prior to boarding. If you want to do one as security, it will not hurt. Use Toronto for both the embark and first port city. (The reason they can be different is that ArriveCan needs to accommodate pax who board in the US, then arrive in Canada - example: Anchorage as embark, then Vancouver as first Canadian port).

Vancouver-based Alaska cruises are difficult compares, as the ArriveCan rules get very different if you embark in Vancouver, sail to Alaska, and then return to Victoria/Vancouver on the same ship. They fall under the other category in quote above - "starting an international cruise ...".

Just view ArriveCan as being an electronic customs and vax form - equally as confusing as some paper ones we've all encountered😈

Enjoy your Octantis sail! 🍺🥌

Thanks.  We are aware of the ArriveCan requirement for flying into Toronto. While we agree that we shouldn't need a second one for boarding as you pointed out, our concern is that Viking info line says we need one and 3 out of 4 folks on the ArriveCan folks on their help line also say we do.  But if the official folks are confused, what do we do, if the boarding folks say we do need it?

Regardless...yes! Sail away!!!