Revised NCL/Oceania COVID Guidelines Out Today: Drops Pre-Cruise Testing for the Vaccinated

MEFIowa

9 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

And four shots is?

Those shots may be the difference between ending up in hospital or not. Transmission is no longer the issue - severity is the issue. Vaccination and boosters considerably lessen the chance of a serious outcome. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

And four shots is?

People can't let go of two things we were told about covid:  (1) "It kills 2-4% of everyone who gets it" (March 2020) and (2) "You won't get or spread covid if you get the vaccines."

Neither is true.   We are going to get it multiple times but it is unlikely to kill us unless we have other issues.  Natural immunity does help but is not perfect. Vaccines appear to help but are not perfect.

If you feel that it might kill you, then cruising is not a good idea.  I think that NCL and Oceania should give refunds to people who are worried about the new guidelines not requiring vaccines.  A credit is insufficient.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Those shots may be the difference between ending up in hospital or not. Transmission is no longer the issue - severity is the issue. Vaccination and boosters considerably lessen the chance of a serious outcome. 

But that should be the choice of the person who doesn't want to get the vaccines.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

But that should be the choice of the person who doesn't want to get the vaccines.  

Absolutely, and conversely the choice of the people who do who wish to have the least possible chance of a bad outcome to an infection. 

Bottom Line

30 months - two and a half years - we have complied, been poked with vaccines, wore masks, distanced ourselves from friends and loved-ones.

Now we are ready to accept the risks, in the twilight of our lives, to join the human race, the rest of the world …. And this includes cruise travel.

We are not willing to live locked down for the rest of our lives.

Question to anti-cruisers - - - - When will you come out, leave the basement, take a risk? (Yes we will take precautions)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 8/8/2022 at 8:30 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

At least for O and Regent, this is a MAJOR mistake - particularly the “no vaccine” requirement! 
In any case, the sure-to-increase onboard Covid numbers will eventually reverse that decision. 

I respectfully disagree. The vaccines do not prevent infection, though they are highly advisable to reduce the risk of serious complications Including death. But the current strains are relatively mild and people were constantly getting sick and being quarantined on cruises when everyone was vaccinated.

The real risk is to the unvaccinated passengers themselves. Shouldn’t they be able to make that decision?. 

Edited by JPR
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smj said:

This is very disappointing. I love Oceania but for now we will probably be going on Azamara.  I do worry about other passengers. Most are older and so vulnerable.

They were already getting sick from vaccinated people on cruises! It’s their decision to take the risk or not. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ToxM said:

But that’s the risk to the unvaccinated, not to the vaccinated. Shouldn’t they be able to decide to take that risk?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, JPR said:

But that’s the risk to the unvaccinated, not to the vaccinated. Shouldn’t they be able to decide to take that risk?

See my post in the other thread. Studies underway are very concerning regarding long term effect of Covid (regardless of how mild the symptoms may be).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smj said:

This is very disappointing. I love Oceania but for now we will probably be going on Azamara.  I do worry about other passengers. Most are older and so vulnerable.

While they do not currently allow unvaccinated guests, they no longer require pre-travel covid tests unless a port they are visiting require it.  

1 hour ago, JPR said:

The efficacy for preventing serious illness for those vaccinated (up to date with last shot within 6 months) is about 80-85% with current strains.  So risk of serious illness is not eliminated for those vaccinated even though it has been reduced considerably.  As time increases since last vaccination the efficacy drops further. 

The risk of serious disease increases the longer one goes from their last vaccination.  So for those that are meet the cruise line definition of being vaccinated, but only received the initial series are facing increasing risk with time, compared to those that are current.

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

See my post in the other thread. Studies underway are very concerning regarding long term effect of Covid (regardless of how mild the symptoms may be).

People concerned about this should not cruise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Agree, and unfortunately that might mean I switch to a different mode of travel.

That is probably for the best.  Cruising is the least safe travel method for people concerned about covid.  Those of willing to cruise need to know that there is a risk.  A risk that can't be eliminated no matter how many shots or masks.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

People concerned about this should remind other cruisers to support vax/tests/masks.

Because vaccines, tests and masks prevent cruisers from getting or spreading covid?  I don't see it my place to tell anyone outside my family to do anything.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think it boils down to this: 

Cruising with unvaccinated is only more precarious to the unvaccinated who are more prone to serious outcome with the virus. 

Viral load doesn’t appear to differ very much between vaccinated or unvaccinated - if you are going to catch it from someone it doesn’t make much difference if they are vaccinated or unvaccinated. 

The difference lies in the severity of the illness both groups will experience. 

Voyages may be changed and ports missed due to local health rules. 

There may be changes to ports or an increase in emergency medical evacuation due to unvaccinated people experiencing more severe symptoms. 

If you are going to be upset at a missed port or delay in getting to a port or a delay IN a port due to covid related issues then you need to decide whether cruising at the moment is for you. 

There is one other option if you are vaccinated and do not wish to travel with unvaccinated people - make sure your voyage includes a destination where arriving visitors MUST be vaccinated - unvaccinated passengers will not be allowed to travel. 

• Like 3

Question: Are travel insurers in the US/Can allowed to ask about vaccination status as a part of providing a quote for travel?

If I was a travel insurer I would be revising rates for unvaccinated cruisers due to the increase in risk of serious outcome from a covid infection and the cost of medical services on board cruise ships. 

23 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Question: Are travel insurers in the US/Can allowed to ask about vaccination status as a part of providing a quote for travel?

If I was a travel insurer I would be revising rates for unvaccinated cruisers due to the increase in risk of serious outcome from a covid infection and the cost of medical services on board cruise ships. 

several insurers here do not even cover covid related issues  so vaccinated or unvaccinated  is a moot point where they are concerned

JMO

52 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Voyages may be changed and ports missed due to local health rules. 

There may be changes to ports or an increase in emergency medical evacuation due to unvaccinated people experiencing more severe symptoms. 

If you are going to be upset at a missed port or delay in getting to a port or a delay IN a port due to covid related issues then you need to decide whether cruising at the moment is for you. 

There is one other option if you are vaccinated and do not wish to travel with unvaccinated people - make sure your voyage includes a destination where arriving visitors MUST be vaccinated - unvaccinated passengers will not be allowed to travel. 

That's fine if you haven't booked the cruise yet or are deciding if cruising is right for you.

In my case, final payment was made in July and if we cancel now we're subject to a 50% cancellation penalty. I know that Oceania can change the rules as they go but I, along with many other customers, booked a cruise and made final payment based on the vaccination requirement.

We're not going to cancel but we will be upset if ports are missed. We're going to take extra precautions such as always using the stairs and dining at a 2-top table more than we normally would. On the bright side, I'll probably burn more calories from never using the elevator.

26 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

That's fine if you haven't booked the cruise yet or are deciding if cruising is right for you.

In my case, final payment was made in July and if we cancel now we're subject to a 50% cancellation penalty. I know that Oceania can change the rules as they go but I, along with many other customers, booked a cruise and made final payment based on the vaccination requirement.

We're not going to cancel but we will be upset if ports are missed. We're going to take extra precautions such as always using the stairs and dining at a 2-top table more than we normally would. On the bright side, I'll probably burn more calories from never using the elevator.

My December cruise is almost all waitlisted already so guessing we will mostly if not all be vaccinated. 

It’s an ever changing landscape at the moment for sure. 

• Like 1