Revised NCL/Oceania COVID Guidelines Out Today: Drops Pre-Cruise Testing for the Vaccinated

MEFIowa

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Question: Are travel insurers in the US/Can allowed to ask about vaccination status as a part of providing a quote for travel?

If I was a travel insurer I would be revising rates for unvaccinated cruisers due to the increase in risk of serious outcome from a covid infection and the cost of medical services on board cruise ships. 

No, they don't ask about COVID vaccination status, nor any other vaccination, nor any disease or illness you may have or have had in the past.

Past diseases or conditions will come into play when you file a claim as policies typically have a pre existing condition exclusion. That exclusion usually can be waived by purchasing the insurance within a specified time limit after booking the cruise or other travel. There are some policies that will waive the exclusion as long as you purchase coverage shortly after making final payment, but they're typically more expensive.

You're only asked about the nonrefundable cost of the trip, the trip starting and ending dates, your age and your residence state.

The insurance companies aren't concerned about what is called adverse selection for this type of policy. Adverse selection comes about when insurance is more likely to be purchased by those who have a higher probability of making a claim than the insurable population as a whole. An example of a condition that could cause adverse selection for life or health insurance is if you are a smoker.

Edited by njhorseman

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

See my post in the other thread. Studies underway are very concerning regarding long term effect of Covid (regardless of how mild the symptoms may be).

Not understanding your point or the other hysteria resulting from Oceania’s quite reasonable decision.

Covid can be contracted from vaccinated or unvaccinated people. Vaccination is prudent because it makes Covid milder and saves lives, but we now know it does not reduce the risk of getting or transmitting Covid.

Therefore, for those who are concerned about eliminating or significantly reducing the risk of getting Covid, even a fully vaccinated ship won’t protect you. The thousands of stories of fully vaccinated people who have contracted Covid as disclosed by mandatory testing (almost always mild and often asymptomatic) on fully vaccinated cruise ships this summer (read about Viking alone!) prove that fact. Best to just stay at home or outdoors if the risk is unacceptable to you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Simple question.

under the new system, if on day three you test positive and are quarantined for the next 6 days, is Oceania still giving a FCC for the missed days?

if they are not, many people will not being positive and continue to move around the ship.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No, they don't ask about COVID vaccination status, nor any other vaccination, nor any disease or illness you may have or have had in the past.

Past diseases or conditions will come into play when you file a claim as policies typically have a pre existing condition exclusion. That exclusion usually can be waived by purchasing the insurance within a specified time limit after booking the cruise or other travel. There are some policies that will waive the exclusion as long as you purchase coverage shortly after making final payment, but they're typically more expensive.

You're only asked about the nonrefundable cost of the trip, the trip starting and ending dates, your age and your residence state.

The insurance companies aren't concerned about what is called adverse selection for this type of policy. Adverse selection comes about when insurance is more likely to be purchased by those who have a higher probability of making a claim than the insurable population as a whole. An example of a condition that could cause adverse selection for life or health insurance is if you are a smoker.

Interesting … here in the UK travel insurance screens for health conditions and changes the price of the cover accordingly, as it will cover medical costs. 

According to the CDC today, if you test positive or have covid you don't need to quarantine at all anymore. You should wear a mask for 5 days, if you test negative you can carry on with your life. 

There will be no more locked in your cabin on cruise ships anymore. Yay.  No more covid protocols.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

several insurers here do not even cover covid related issues  so vaccinated or unvaccinated  is a moot point where they are concerned

JMO

This has not been our experience in getting quotes and obtaining insurance in Canada as it is considered a known event. They asked if you were vaccinated along with the regular medical questions regarding medical history, medications, etc.  Different from last year, when many insurers would not cover Covid (either medical, trip cancellation or trip interruption) however, this year it has changed.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, susiesan said:

According to the CDC today, if you test positive or have covid you don't need to quarantine at all anymore. You should wear a mask for 5 days, if you test negative you can carry on with your life. 

There will be no more locked in your cabin on cruise ships anymore. Yay.  No more covid protocols.

That's not true. The CDC guidelines issued today clearly state that if you test positive you should stay at home for 5 days and isolate yourself from others in your home.

The change is that if you are exposed to someone with COVID you no longer need to quarantine. You should wear a mask for 10 days and get tested at 5 days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

That's not true. The CDC guidelines issued today clearly state that if you test positive you should stay at home for 5 days and isolate yourself from others in your home

I am currently at the tail end of having covid. I think I had it 3 weeks ago when I thought I had a mild summer cold. Did a home test, it was negative so I went about living my life normally. I never got officially tested until 2 weeks into it when I went to see a doctor about the lingering cough and tested positive. My doctor said no need to stay home or wear a mask as I was past the infectious stage. You can test positive for months after you have had covid. I will not be doing anymore testing.

People will not isolate just because they test positive if they have no symptoms. That's what is happening now. Very few people are still testing themselves unless they have symptoms. Most people are adopting the attitude of our Congress: no test, no tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ToxM said:

Question: Are travel insurers in the US/Can allowed to ask about vaccination status as a part of providing a quote for travel?

If I was a travel insurer I would be revising rates for unvaccinated cruisers due to the increase in risk of serious outcome from a covid infection and the cost of medical services on board cruise ships. 

Yes. At least one major underwriter in Canada limits their coverage to $1M for non-vaccinated travelers, while vaccinated ones get up to $5M.

The same carrier will not cover unvaccinated cruisers at all, while they will cover cruise pax who are vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I am currently at the tail end of having covid. I think I had it 3 weeks ago when I thought I had a mild summer cold. Did a home test, it was negative so I went about living my life normally. I never got officially tested until 2 weeks into it when I went to see a doctor about the lingering cough and tested positive. My doctor said no need to stay home or wear a mask as I was past the infectious stage. You can test positive for months after you have had covid. I will not be doing anymore testing.

People will not isolate just because they test positive if they have no symptoms. That's what is happening now. Very few people are still testing themselves unless they have symptoms. Most people are adopting the attitude of our Congress: no test, no tell.

I won't comment on your personal physician's advice.

You're wrong about testing positive for months. That is only true for NAAT (most common type being PCR) tests. Antigen tests, which are what we have in our homes to do self-testing do not produce positive tests for an extended time.

In any even none of what you said in your latest post changes the fact that a minimum of 5 days of isolation is still recommended for those testing positive, which is contrary to what you previously stated. If you don't believe me, read today's press release from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/p0811-covid-guidance.html

• Recommending that if you test positive for COVID-19, you stay home for at least 5 days and isolate from others in your home.  You are likely most infectious during these first 5 days. Wear a high-quality mask when you must be around others at home and in public.
    • If after 5 days you are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of medication, and your symptoms are improving, or you never had symptoms, you may end isolation after day 5.
    • Regardless of when you end isolation, avoid being around people who are more likely to get very sick from COVID-19 until at least day 11.
    • You should wear a high-quality mask through day 10.

7 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

This has not been our experience in getting quotes and obtaining insurance in Canada as it is considered a known event. They asked if you were vaccinated along with the regular medical questions regarding medical history, medications, etc.  Different from last year, when many insurers would not cover Covid (either medical, trip cancellation or trip interruption) however, this year it has changed.

In Canada, Manulife sells trip interuption that includes Covid. Other cruiselines - Silversea for example - say that if one cruises before end of March and one gets Covid, one can get FCC or refund.  As well, if they cancel the cruise one can get a refund. What I like is their refund/FCC policies don't change based on Company policies and are based on the policy in effect for the dates when one travels when one books.  For me, makes more sense.

Edited by Nuka
  • Like 1

Does anyone have any record of covid related medical costs from a trip where they tested positive on a voyage? 

I wonder what the cost related to a more severe infection would be. 

Seeing as CC Chris just got a bill for 600+ bucks for a busted lip and some plasters…

16 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Yes, that is the bottom line.  If it scares you that much, don't cruise.  

I am not scared of contracting covid, but I am concerned that I could be passing it on to someone more vulnerable than I.  Looking out for the common good is surely beneficial to society and to all cruisers’ well-being.  The virus does not discriminate.

55 minutes ago, escrick said:

I am not scared of contracting covid, but I am concerned that I could be passing it on to someone more vulnerable than I.  Looking out for the common good is surely beneficial to society and to all cruisers’ well-being.  The virus does not discriminate.

If that's the case then maybe you shouldn't be cruising on Oceania. The majority of O pax fall into the "vulnerable" category based on age and health demographics as evidenced by half the regular O posters/cruisers here on CC. If you get it and you are like me, had no idea I had covid, you would be inadvertently spreading it to all of your fellow vulnerable passengers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

Does anyone have any record of covid related medical costs from a trip where they tested positive on a voyage? 

Seeing as CC Chris just got a bill for 600+ bucks for a busted lip and some plasters…

Only $600???

If you’re in the US, read the EOBs you get after medical visits. The billed costs will knock your socks off. Straightforward outpatient procedures (e.g., CT guided nerve block for that chronic back issue?) will hit you for $ thousands - just for the labs/drugs/rooms. Then add the neuro-radiologist who does the procedure. 

Of course, if you pick the right healthcare providers (e.g., university hospitals/practices) and have the right insurance (e.g., for us geezers, Medicare and an excellent supplement), your net cost will be zero.

BTW, it’s always worth reminding folks that Medicare is useless outside of the US and it’s immediate borders. And choice of the right supplement should always include conversion to regular coverage when you leave the US.

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

My husband and I contracted Covid on the Nautica in April of this year.  We were quarantined on the ship for six days.  We were seen by the medical staff each day and given meds (not Paxlovid).  All medical care was free.  We received a refund for the days we were quarantined.

Terri

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Only $600???

If you’re in the US, read the EOBs you get after medical visits. The billed costs will knock your socks off. Straightforward outpatient procedures (e.g., CT guided nerve block for that chronic back issue?) will hit you for $ thousands - just for the labs/drugs/rooms. Then add the neuro-radiologist who does the procedure. 

Of course, if you pick the right healthcare providers (e.g., university hospitals/practices) and have the right insurance (e.g., for us geezers, Medicare and an excellent supplement), your net cost will be zero.

BTW, it’s always worth reminding folks that Medicare is useless outside of the US and it’s immediate borders. And choice of the right supplement should always include conversion to regular coverage when you leave the US.

Not COVID...but I came down with pneumonia on an NCL cruise a couple of years ago. Between blood tests, chest x rays and antibiotics (including IV antibiotics for the first couple of days) my bill was over $9,000 .

Obviously it was charged to the credit card we were using for the onboard charges.

As I'm on Medicare I always buy insurance that will cover any international medical expenses. I filed a claim with our travel insurer and was reimbursed in full.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Only $600???

I am not in the US. The cost of healthcare in some parts of the world is rather eye watering. 

My point being that unless your insurance (travel or medical) covers you very thoroughly unvaccinated persons should maybe think very carefully about travelling. 

I would imagine insurance for unvaccinated persons may well be significantly higher. 

As a Brit I wouldn’t dream of travelling anywhere without good insurance, whilst we do pay for medical care in the UK, the method of payment is part of our taxation at source, and as most are aware the NHS is a mammoth beast which all things considered works rather well. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

My husband and I contracted Covid on the Nautica in April of this year.  We were quarantined on the ship for six days.  We were seen by the medical staff each day and given meds (not Paxlovid).  All medical care was free.  We received a refund for the days we were quarantined.

Terri

45 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Will the costs still be covered under the new setup?

48 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

That is excellent … I wonder if that coverage exists after September. 

11 hours ago, Nuka said:

In Canada, Manulife sells trip interuption that includes Covid.

Do you know what other insurance companies in Canada sell Trip cancellation/interuption  ins  that cover Covid??

Medjet seem to cover medical only  at least  from what I found

The SailSafe FAQ for cruises after September 3rd contradicts their current general Onboard FAQ which states Oceania will cover medical costs and FCC etc. - Oceania will need to update: https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404725304083--If-I-test-positive-for-COVID-19-during-a-cruise-and-have-to-quarantine-will-I-receive-a-full-refund-

NEW as of September 3: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2022-08/sail-safe-new-program.pdf. Included two key items:

If a guest tests positive for COVID-19 while on board, what costs are covered?

Guests should travel with adequate insurance coverage for costs incurred for COVID-19 relates illness and treatment.

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a credit or refund?
Guests should travel with adequate insurance coverage for costs incurred for COVID-19 relates illness and treatment.

p.s. SailSafe is no longer on the home page oceaniacruises.com / you can find on Plan Your Cruise.