Tell me about Apex Hidden Gems

Mimiya11

After trying all the other class of Celebrity ships (including 3 on the Reflection which we love), it is time for a change.  

So we are booked in a SS on the Apex.  And while our cruise is a long way off (Fall 2023), am looking for tips (restaurants, places to hang out, best bars) from previous Apex cruisers as this is our first ship of this class.   

Thank you in advance.    I like to plan early 🙂

We spent 4 weeks on the Apex.  2 in AQ and 2 in a SS.  There isn’t anything hidden.   It is all in the open.  You just have to explore the ship and look at everything.    We learned a long time ago not to chase after what others do because it mostly turned into a dud.  

After exploring you will find what areas you like the best.   We spent a lot of time in Eden and on our Balcony.   The Retreat Lounge and area was OK but for us nothing special.   Eden Bar was like the World Class Bar but offered more.    There were views of the wake and sometimes during the day the performers would be practicing.  

They had great chocolate cookies and brownies in the Eden Cafe.   The cookies were different than those in Cafe al Bacio.   There is a outside dining area for the Eden Cafe but for us it was too sunny and windy.  Many were determined to enjoy it as they fought the elements blowing their food away.  I guess that was their way of dieting.  

If they still have the art class with Micheal be sure to attend.   It is a lot of fun and you end up with a nice piece of art that you actually did.    They also served wine during class.  We drew a seahorse and he made it very simple to do 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅l

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree that nothing is ‘hidden’. But there maybe less emphasized places that we enjoyed. The Eden cafe which when we were aboard Edge and Apex was open Breakfast and lunch. Its next to the Eden Lounge area. Loved the Lounge and the Cafe.

And the ramp that wraps around the stern, around the Eden area is neat. We had a few seating areas that we’d use to socializing and playing cards.

The 4 MDRs are well appointed and its really a good idea to try all of them, not just for the menus, but to experience the atmosphere of each. You can do that whether you choose a set dining time or select dining. 

Although you’ll get a ton of ‘it’s just a window that opens’, we love the Infinite Veranda. 

many positives to find as you go wandering on a beautiful ship. We chose to try the Retreat on our upcoming Oct TA on the Edge….never done one and thought a TA with lots of sea days would be neat time to try it. On the Apex next year doing the Amsterdam-Iceland-Ireland cruise. So we ‘do’ Edge Class when we can.

We love each of the 3 Celebrity Classes - each has unique special venues we enjoy and the Edge Class is just fantastic. 

Den

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not new to cruising but new to Celebrity.  I'm a bit confused about Eden.  I believe I saw posts about it being a restaurant you pay extra for.  Is there a charge for the cookies and brownies if you're not paying to dine there?

Just now, Graymare2 said:

Not new to cruising but new to Celebrity.  I'm a bit confused about Eden.  I believe I saw posts about it being a restaurant you pay extra for.  Is there a charge for the cookies and brownies if you're not paying to dine there?

There are 2 dining venues in Eden.  Eden Restaurant is a specialty dining restaurant, which is only open for dinner.  It is located on the lowest floor of Eden, which actually has space on 3 decks.  Eden Cafe is located on the main level of Eden, basically adjacent to the bar.  It is complimentary and is only open for limited hours during breakfast and lunch times on at sea days.

• Like 4

We were on apex for 1 week in June. There is so much art work on board that are hidden gems. I agree with others that the free dining in Eden is also a hidden gem. 

Enjoy it all.

• Like 2

Just now, Mimiya11 said:

Thanks all.    If we were not getting a specialty dining package, can we book Eden in advance of the cruise?  If so, how far out? 

Yes, you should be able to book it as soon as you book your cruise.  I booked our dinner for this October last October.  We were on Apex and loved our dinner in Eden.  Booked Eden dinner on Beyond (cruise had been booked for a few months) right then!

We always walk the ship, deck by deck, as you never know what you are going to find, along with where it is located.  We are on the b2b/TA this fall; that is always on plan no matter what ship.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Just got off the Apex (cruised the Norwegian Fjiords). the ship is magnificent.  the retreat lounge if you are in a suite is not to be missed.  Our favorite bar is the martini bar which on this ship is in the centrum, and there is live entertainment in the evenings.  The theater is wonderful as well, and the shows were a bit better than on our previous celebrity cruises.  

18 hours ago, MAtravelbug said:

Just got off the Apex (cruised the Norwegian Fjiords). the ship is magnificent.  the retreat lounge if you are in a suite is not to be missed.  Our favorite bar is the martini bar which on this ship is in the centrum, and there is live entertainment in the evenings.  The theater is wonderful as well, and the shows were a bit better than on our previous celebrity cruises.  

Thank you.  We are in a suite.   Were Luminae and the lounge busy?  Did you go to any specialty restaurants?       

2 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

Thank you.  We are in a suite.   Were Luminae and the lounge busy?  Did you go to any specialty restaurants?       

2 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

On our cruise there was never a wait to get into Luminae, in fact the ship had 1000 fewer passengers than it can hold at full capacity.  We did not go to any specialty restaurants, we prefer Blu to all of those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MAtravelbug said:

On our cruise there was never a wait to get into Luminae, in fact the ship had 1000 fewer passengers than it can hold at full capacity.  We did not go to any specialty restaurants, we prefer Blu to all of those.

the lounge was never full either! In fact we spent most of our on board time in the retreat lounge and sundeck.

• Like 1