Older smartphones not working in US because of 5G changes?

Maplemoose

I received an email a few months ago from my provider saying that due to 5G changes in the US, that my android model would not function across the border for making calls. Has anybody experienced this issue? Most important will it still work for data and internal messaging on NCL's wi-fi. Anyone? 

WiFi will still work.

If voice doesn't work, data likely won't. 

Various US carriers have scheduled shutoff of 3G and 4G services. As far as I know the cellular at sea services have not scheduled any 3 or 4 gen shutoffs.

The only 4G network being shut down is Sprint, and that is only because they are now owned by T-Mobile...4G is still available nation wide on all the major carriers and likely will be for 10 years or more.

3G would be a problem but you must have a pretty old phone if it doesn't have 4G LTE access.

@Maplemoose, what model phone do you have? If it is new enough to have Android 9 (or higher) which you need for NCL's app, it should have 4G LTE...

Edited by Brian V
NCL app mention

19 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

I received an email a few months ago from my provider saying that due to 5G changes in the US, that my android model would not function across the border for making calls. Has anybody experienced this issue? Most important will it still work for data and internal messaging on NCL's wi-fi. Anyone? 

NCL claims their ships support 3G and 4G.  LTE is technology between 3G and 4G.   That is not surprising as  1G and 2G is very old and has been turned off in most of the world.   5G selling features is high speed data that would be difficult to sustain on ship satellite connection.  

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/about/staying-connected-sea-cellular-phone-service-texting

The US carriers are turning off 3G.  The Canadian carriers have a smaller customer base so they are less constrained by spectrum, they can leave 3G on for a few more year but most have plans to turn off 3G to free up spectrum space for newer services.   

When you go from 3G to 4G you need to move the cell towers closer together.  In Canada in less populated areas keeping 3G around as long as possible does make sense.   The good thing is a new phone can usually operate on the older protocols when the newer ones are not available in a given area so there no technical reason not to upgrade to a new phone.

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

They not going be turning off 4g anytime soon

Iphone 12 was the first IPhone to start using 5g , 

also 5 g is not allowed by airports , as it interferes with the plane systems 

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-statements-5g

Agreed,  4G is going to be around for years to come.    

The issue with 5G near airports is a unique problem in the US.  The US sold part of the radio spectrum to their phone operators that is very close to the frequency spectrum used by aviation equipment. 

Europe, Canada  (and likely most of the rest of world) are keeping the two well separated to avoid this problem.     

• Like 2