Norwegian Bermuda Cruise 4/19/22 on the Getaway-follow up

doctorgbg

Never again, Ever Worst line on the sea.long lines Mass confusion COVID blunders Pathetic food Locked out shows Missed port of call 7 hour late departure out of New York. The passengers on the Titanic had a better ride. Complete waste of time and money. Save your money. Fly to Bermuda or take another line. You’ll be sadly disappointed with this line As a physician I volunteered many hours in the sickest of places during COVID. I really thought I could get some well-deserved rest and maybe have a little fun on this trip. I’ve been to Bermuda before and it’s a lovely lovely place, however Norwegian made the whole trip a nightmare. I cannot stress this enough. As I said save you money I need to fly to Bermuda or take a different cruise line. They offer nothing in return, not even an apology. They could actually offer me a free trip and I still would not travel on this line again

• Haha 3

Just now, graphicguy said:

Well...this is fun.  

A cruise that sailed 4 months ago.  Missed port of call?  There was only one port of call, Bermuda.  Where did you end up?  Why were you late out of NY?

So many questions.......

I agree. I would have vented immediately after the cruise. And all the complaints leaves one with more questions

• Like 2

This was my cruise. If you want to read all about it, here's my review. 🙂

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686418 

Once you've read my review (because it's amazing haha), know that in 20 days my husband and I are setting off on the NCL Getaway to Bermuda for a 5 day follow up to our April cruise.

28 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well...this is fun.  

A cruise that sailed 4 months ago.  Missed port of call?  There was only one port of call, Bermuda.  Where did you end up?  Why were you late out of NY?

So many questions.......

We were supposed to go to Virginia Beach...due to the late sailing we went straight to Bermuda.

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

This was my cruise. If you want to read all about it, here's my review. 🙂

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686418 

Once you've read my review (because it's amazing haha), know that in 20 days my husband and I are setting off on the NCL Getaway to Bermuda for a 5 day follow up to our April cruise.

Thanks.  Context always is helpful.  Every time I read….”I hate traveling…..I hate cruising….I hate the cruise line….I hate you….I hate myself…I hate the wind…..”

I pretty much shut off at that juncture.

• Haha 2

I believe this was the first sailing to Bermuda for the season? The hold ups were due to so many people not having their Bermuda travel authorization completed. We cruised on Getaway in March and did not experience any of the other issues the OP is talking about in regards to food and entertainment. I do not know what they are talking about as far as "Covid blunders" goes. If at any time they were concerned, they could mask up or self isolate. Also, that week was one of the Northeast area school vacation weeks, which may have led to higher capacity causing some issues. 

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We were supposed to go to Virginia Beach...due to the late sailing we went straight to Bermuda.

We go to VB every summer, were just there 2 weekends ago. You didn't miss much. 😉 (It's fine for beach trips but a cruise port of call? Meh...)

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks.  Context always is helpful.  Every time I read….”I hate traveling…..I hate cruising….I hate the cruise line….I hate you….I hate myself…I hate the wind…..”

OMgosh I agree! I almost ignored this, then some were asking questions, so figured they could read a lot of context if they would like to....my guess is this guy finally received word that NCL wouldn't provide a refund, FCC, OBC, etc. for his disastrous cruise, so is taking one last chance to lambast NCL.

I don't disagree with him (you know, my opinion of what his thoughts are which is what I'm going with as he left no information), I do think we should have received some sort of compensation for the crappy embarkation and gigantic crowds...you know, the crowds NCL had pre-COVID. Alas, nothing coming which is why my attitude about NCL is what it is. Great product (when it works), crap customer service, crap leadership. I can't wait to see what I think on my next cruisey cruise! 

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I agree that some people are never happy. I realize that cruising requires packing some patience to deal with embarkation and disembarkation days. I also have adjusted my expectations when dealing with NCL and cruise terminal staff. Some are uninformed about a lot of things. From past experience I knew where to go for the Platinum boarding area in NY and in Boston I had to tell them that I did not belong in the high numbered boarding group they tried to put me in. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I believe this was the first sailing to Bermuda for the season? The hold ups were due to so many people not having their Bermuda travel authorization completed. We cruised on Getaway in March and did not experience any of the other issues the OP is talking about in regards to food and entertainment. I do not know what they are talking about as far as "Covid blunders" goes. If at any time they were concerned, they could mask up or self isolate. Also, that week was one of the Northeast area school vacation weeks, which may have led to higher capacity causing some issues. 

It was the second sailing of the Getaway from NYC to Bermuda. The first sailing was held up by three hours. They changed procedures which led to our ship being held up by eight hours. 

image.png.367ce70b8177212013b5c292abd64b4c.png

Source: http://www.marops.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2022 Cruise Ship Schedule.pdf

There were some fools without the Bermuda Travel Authorization - though my husband jumped in that line (we didn't know what it was) and was approved to board the ship an hour before I was approved. Since it was the Bermuda line, we thought we both would probably have to go through the line I was standing in too. Alas, that was not the case, so we could have boarded way earlier! Point - the Bermuda Travel Authorization questions line was much faster (at 12 PM). Not sure how it was later in the day. 

We were held up in line due to the ineptitude of MCT having enough employees (as I learned after posting my review and being educated), but I still place some blame on NCL. The ship was sailing at 110% capacity per the officers on board, but with 300 fewer staff than were needed. NCL saw lots of money and sailed this ship to capacity which never should have happened. Oh well, I can Monday quarterback it all day long - I still enjoyed myself. 

I'm not aware of COVID blunders, except for the mass herding of us in the MCT with no space to social distance - we wore our masks. A lot of people did get COVID, per the Facebook group, but that's going to happen anywhere 4,000+ people are gathered for a week. 

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We go to VB every summer, were just there 2 weekends ago. You didn't miss much. 😉 (It's fine for beach trips but a cruise port of call? Meh...)

Hahaha I went to college in Virginia. I went to Norfolk and Virginia Beach once. Norfolk is really where the ship docks. It would have been, what, 45 minutes to get to VA Beach from there? No thank you! 

We had an important phone call to take that day, which is why we were mildly upset about missing the beach. Instead, we just got the unlimited streaming internet package and had a great mid-Atlantic Ocean WiFi call with our home inspector.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hahaha I went to college in Virginia. I went to Norfolk and Virginia Beach once. Norfolk is really where the ship docks. It would have been, what, 45 minutes to get to VA Beach from there? No thank you! 

We had an important phone call to take that day, which is why we were mildly upset about missing the beach. Instead, we just got the unlimited streaming internet package and had a great mid-Atlantic Ocean WiFi call with our home inspector.

My wife went to college in VA, too (William & Mary, where we also got married). Yes, Norfolk would have been the actual port, and traffic is hellish between there and VB. Sorry your phone call got messed up due to the missed port, how annoying is that? But at least you were able to complete is using WiFi. We've considered doing a cruise that leaves out of Norfolk, although traveling down I-95 from DC is no picnic. 😂