My take on cruise Internet

rideev

I know I will get flamed, but that's ok.  After reading about Internet at sea for so long, I have to put in my opinion.  It is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Too many people don't understand bandwidth.  Then they get upset when they can't live stream or facetime.  There is only so much bandwidth.  Some things take up a lot more than others.  When people utilize, or try to utilize, things on the Internet that take up lots of bandwidth, then there is a problem.  

A cruise is not the place to go to do zoom calls, etc.  Yes, it would be ideal, but it ain't happening.

If all would just use it to check emails to stay in touch,  browse the internet, etc, everyone would be happy.

Utilize the ship phone system for emergencies.  If it's really an emergency, it won't matter the cost of the call.  We as a society have decided that we need to constantly be on the phone, and that every thing is an emergency.  Trust me, it will still be there waiting on you when you get back   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rideev said:

Utilize the ship phone system for emergencies.  If it's really an emergency, it won't matter the cost of the call.  We as a society have decided that we need to constantly be on the phone, and that every thing is an emergency.  Trust me, it will still be there waiting on you when you get back   

Most cell phones under normal contracts with established carriers are capable of calling using WiFi. In fact, the quality of calls made over WiFi is normally better than calls made through cell phone towers.  So if you've put your phone in airplane mode and you get a call, don't freak out (like I did.)  So in most cases you'll still be able to use your phone (and get those calls about the extended warranty on your car 🤣)  You'll also be able to text using your regular number.  Alternatively, you can also use a WiFi number like one from Google Voice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rideev said:

If it's really an emergency, it won't matter the cost of the call.  We as a society have decided that we need to constantly be on the phone, and that every thing is an emergency.  Trust me, it will still be there waiting on you when you get back   

Too many people have forgotten how to take a vacation.

• Like 5

Princess Cruises advertises they have the fastest internet at sea. That it is like working at home. The talk about MEO and GEO and how it will be a little slower in northern latitudes. Seeing download speeds between .1 and 1.0 Mbps on a TA, Western Europe and Southampton R/T to Norway/Iceland just doesn’t come close to the hype.

• Like 3

As long as I can send and receive emails, I’m good.  I have two senior dogs that are cared for at home by family, but I need to know how they’re doing and my family needs to be able to reach us in case of emergency.  I don’t need movies, or FaceTime or streaming, so I guess I’ll be just fine with Princess wifi.  

• Like 2

When a company promises one thing and then fails to deliver a great deal of the time, then they deserve criticism. The reality is that some people do actually need (not just want) the internet they were told they could get. Telling people to just get over themselves and settle for poor service is not going to correct the problem. Perhaps Princess should simply remove these false promises. Then no one would have any reason to make a complaint. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I've got no dog in this race. I only check my emails every few days. But not everyone has the same requirements. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

As long as I can send and receive emails, I’m good.  I have two senior dogs that are cared for at home by family, but I need to know how they’re doing and my family needs to be able to reach us in case of emergency.  I don’t need movies, or FaceTime or streaming, so I guess I’ll be just fine with Princess wifi.  

Your family can always call the ship phone system, if it's an emergency.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mom says said:

When a company promises one thing and then fails to deliver a great deal of the time, then they deserve criticism. The reality is that some people do actually need (not just want) the internet they were told they could get. Telling people to just get over themselves and settle for poor service is not going to correct the problem. Perhaps Princess should simply remove these false promises. Then no one would have any reason to make a complaint. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I've got no dog in this race. I only check my emails every few days. But not everyone has the same requirements. 

This is exactly the point.  Don't advertise the fastest internet at sea and it's like being at home and then unable to deliver.  Don't advertise you can still have TD in the DR's and then be unable to deliver.  In Canada (and the US for that matter), there are laws about false advertising, but I imagine the cruise lines just slip away from that nuisance.

• Like 3