Enrichment Program for St. Thomas and St. Maarten

Learningtocruise1

We will be on our 2nd Princess cruise in November.  We LOVED the Enrichment Program lectures when we went to Alaska in 2019 on our first Princess cruise.  Other than Princess Cays, should we anticipate any Enrichment Program lectures for the other two ports of call (St. Thomas and St. Maarten), or not?  

They'll most likely have a talk about the ports in the show lounge but unlike many years ago where it was actual information about the port, it's turned into a sales pitch for which shops you should be shopping at. 🤑

A complete waste of time for many people. 

• Like 1

Enrichment talks are generally on longer cruises with lots of sea days or cruises like Alaska where there are lots of natural sites. Caribbean cruises really do not have enrichment talks. Caribbean cruises are different animals than an Alaska cruise. They might have some port talks that focus on shopping, and maybe one that focuses on sites in the islands. 

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Alaska is it's own animal with regards to enrichment lectures.

For the Caribbean, the best you will get is the port and shopping talk, which I would recommend skipping.

Agreed.

Alaska and the Panama canal usually have nationalists  brought on board the ships which can give a lot of information about the country.

Not so in the Caribbean.

The only "enrichment lecture" is probably going to be a talk about the shops that pay the cruise line to push them. 

"Diamonds International is reputable, has great prices and a wonderful warranty.  Here is a map.  If you show your Medallion, they will give you absolutely free a cheap trinket.  And you can charge any purchases to your cabin account and get some kind of credit on your purchase!  Did I mention the free margarita?  And free entries to the PRIZES."  Unstated is that they pay the ship for this endorsement.

• Like 1

We were on that cruise last December and there was a lovely British lady who gave a lecture about the history of the islands, stories about the pirates and general tourism highlights.  It was only about an hour and was not very well attended. 

3 hours ago, Asquare said:

We were on that cruise last December and there was a lovely British lady who gave a lecture about the history of the islands, stories about the pirates and general tourism highlights.  It was only about an hour and was not very well attended. 

I wish the passengers had some way to know that the lecture by that lovely British lady was more than the usual "shopping with our advertisers" talk.  If people knew, it might have been well attended.

35 years ago, I loved port talks, but now I don't bother (Caribbean and Mexican).

• Like 1