Maui 7am to 5pm

flcraigs5

Looking around the board would be very informative. The first thing you would see is that there are two places to come ashore on Maui...docking at Kahalui, or tendering at Lahaina. Where you are coming ashore would affect our advice considerably.

1 hour ago, flcraigs5 said:

thats a great question. How does one find out which port the ship is arriving at? We are on the NCL Spirit.

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/12-day-south-pacific-from-honolulu-to-papeete-kauai-maui-and-moorea-SPIRIT12HNLNWKITOOGGRAIMOZPPT?destinations=4294960042&ships=4294960203&numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=SPIRIT12HNLNWKITOOGGRAIMOZPPT

The ship docks in Kahului. That is not a tender port.

It might be too soon for whale watching. Maybe go up to Haleakala or spend the day in Lahaina.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

That appears to be a cruise in September,  not October,  and the stop in Kahalui is only 7 to 2, where the OP said 7 to 5.

In either case, September or October, far too early for whale watching. 

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

That appears to be a cruise in September,  not October,  and the stop in Kahalui is only 7 to 2, where the OP said 7 to 5. In either case, September or October, far too early for whale watching. 

You are right, I clicked on the wrong one. The Spirit Oct. does stop in Lahaina.

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/12-day-south-pacific-from-honolulu-to-papeete-bora-bora-kauai-and-maui-SPIRIT12HNLITONWKLHNRAIBRBMOZPPT?destinations=4294960042&ships=4294960203&numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=SPIRIT12HNLITONWKLHNRAIBRBMOZPPT

7AM-4PM. I'd still either do a Haleakala trip or just bum around Lahaina.

Thank you for the infromation. Is there a beach that is walkable from the port?

17 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

Not really in Lahaina proper-- the city literally goes right up to the water in places. Take an Uber about 5 minutes north of town to a place called Whaler's Village. That will put you in the middle of the Kaanapali resort beach which is one of the nicest on the island. There are also plenty of options to eat/drink. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

I agree with Bruce and Princeton123, take an Uber to Ka'anapali or Napili Bay (my favorite place in Maui).

There are also public buses to Napili and Ka'anapali. Check the West Maui Islander and Ka'anapali Islander.

https://www.mauicounty.gov/1310/Maui-Bus-Route-Maps

31 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Not really in Lahaina proper-- the city literally goes right up to the water in places. Take an Uber about 5 minutes north of town to a place called Whaler's Village. That will put you in the middle of the Kaanapali resort beach which is one of the nicest on the island. There are also plenty of options to eat/drink. 

Thanks Princeton 12321. Any idea how long the uber ride is and cost? Have never been to Maui before so I am clueless LOL

52 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

Thanks Princeton 12321. Any idea how long the uber ride is and cost? Have never been to Maui before so I am clueless LOL

Taxi Fare Finder says a cab is $17 before tip and Uber is $15. The trip is 12-13 minutes. It is less than 4 miles from the Banyan Tree (where the dock is) to Whalers Village.

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Maui-HI&from=Banyan+Tree+Deli+&to=Whalers+Village%2C+2435+Kaanapali+Pkwy%2C+Lahaina%2C+Hawaii%2C+96761%2C+United+States+of+America&fromCoord=20.871421,-156.677038&toCoord=20.921399,-156.694257

Napili Bay would be $35 for a taxi, $27 for Uber and 22 minutes away.

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Maui-HI&from=Banyan+Tree+Deli+&to=Napili+Kai+Beach+Resort%2C+5900+Honoapiilani+Rd%2C+Lahaina%2C+Hawaii%2C+96761%2C+United+States+of+America&fromCoord=20.871421,-156.677038&toCoord=20.996883,-156.66584

I'd still opt for the quieter Napili over Ka'anapali.

I'd still opt for the quieter Napili over Ka'anapali.

Which I would agree with if they didn't have such limited time. I think the more centralized amenities at Kaanapali, especially Whaler's Village, will make things easier. Plus when you factor in the drive time and the fact an Uber will show up faster to Whaler's than along Napili they could potentially get 30ish minutes longer doing beach stuff. They are both great beaches. 

• Like 2

I'm going to vote for Kaanapali and Whalers Village. 

Whalers will offer everything for a brief stop in Maui. Great places for drinks (get a mai -tai at Monkeypod, best Mai-tai on the island IMO) .Whalers also offers some Maui Shopping to pick up souvaneers (there is even an ABC store in Whalers). Live entertainment along the beach. Long boardwalk for strolling.  Napili you will just get the beach (and Seahouse) and will need to bring beach chairs as there is no place to rent them in Napili (although you can rent next door at Kapalua).

The biggest reason for me suggesting Kaanapali over Napili is that getting an Uber from Napili can be VERY challenging. Getting transportation from Whalers will be a breeze. 

Enjoy!!

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

get a mai -tai at Monkeypod, best Mai-tai on the island IMO)

Now I agree with you on Monkeypod, but when Dale was slinging them at that little run down tiki hut at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel up until covid that would have been my favorite. What it lacked in fancy foam it made up for in its significant potency. And of course spending time with the character that was making it. 

Even though my heart is still with Dale and the little rundown shack he called an office back in the day, the new restaurant at Kaanapali Beach Hotel, Huihui, is quite good and well worth the OP taking a look at for lunch or at least a drink. 

• Like 2