Europe's Drought Could Signal the Death of River Cruising

gnome12

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Rafting in the rest of Europe, ‘Breasting up’ in the U.K. look on it as an opportunity to make friends with your opposite numbers and if it’s a different company have a sneaky peak at their cabin an visa versa. It’s only happened to us a few times in over ten years of cruising but have nearly lost a wine glass or two a couple of times.

Is it any wonder that 'Breasting Up' is a more pleasant experience experience than rafting?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

There were overnight passenger cruises in the Rhein in 1972. My parents took a river cruise (KD?) Köln to Aschaffenburg. I don’t recall the itinerary, only that it was several nights; perhaps it also cruised the Mosel. 

It will most likely have been KD on that stretch. There were few other companies. I have not looked into other older companies much but I know that CroisiEurope was only founded in 1976 (which is an "old" company compared to the North American lines). Ship sizes used to vary enormously by the way. I mentioned the MS Belvedere, but many other ships also did not have the 110m or 135m size.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

There were overnight passenger cruises in the Rhein in 1972. My parents took a river cruise (KD?) Köln to Aschaffenburg. I don’t recall the itinerary, only that it was several nights; perhaps it also cruised the Mosel. 

KD (Köln-Düsseldorfer) was the frist cruise line ever offering overnight river cruises in 1960. They stopped in 1995 and sold their ships to Viking (including some sort of contract that they never can operate river cruise ships). KD concentrated on excursion boats and finally won the case against Viking regarding river cruises. Anyway KD has sister companies which are connected with river cruises but does not operate own river cruise ships under the KD brand anymore.

steamboats

Our first river cruise was with Croise and we had a wonderful time.  They are not fancy, but the staff were wonderful and it was very clean.  With nothing to compare, we were quite happy.  By the time we were rafted next to a Tauck ship, all I could think of when we walked thru was "wow, shiny!"  LOL. Much more brass, glass, marble, etc.

I did appreciate that second, come and go dining option on our Avalon cruise.  And the larger menu options.  I'd rate that Croise's biggest weakness - limited dining/food options beyond the one entree offered at the - long- sit down meal.  I think I could live with that, though, if it meant I could stay on the boat.

Edited by ljandgb

Yes, good, you destroy that negative stuff from CNN. Death of river cruising, my foot!!

As far as I know, things are running smoothly on the Seine and the Rhone, and also the canals of the Netherlands still have enough water. If needs be people can still sail the Mittelland Canal.

Phoenix Reisen is sending another ship right now from Serbia to the Netherlands to be launched in 2023.

notamermaid