Do a cruise excursion, third party excursion, my own thing or stay on ship?

trafaelwyr

Hey everyone. Trying to decide on what to do in Costa Maya.   There aren't many ship excursions left and I've already done ruins in Cozumel and Belize back in 2015 and 2018.  There is an excursion in Costa Maya to some ruins, but it's 2 hours each way from / to the ship...that's a lot of time being eaten up.  Is there a reputable third party company that does excursions?  Could I forego the ship / third party company excursions and do something on my own?  Should I just skip this destination and just hang about on the ship?

46 minutes ago, trafaelwyr said:

Hey everyone. Trying to decide on what to do in Costa Maya.   There aren't many ship excursions left and I've already done ruins in Cozumel and Belize back in 2015 and 2018.  There is an excursion in Costa Maya to some ruins, but it's 2 hours each way from / to the ship...that's a lot of time being eaten up.  Is there a reputable third party company that does excursions?  Could I forego the ship / third party company excursions and do something on my own?  Should I just skip this destination and just hang about on the ship?

I haven’t done the ruins from this port but Native Choice have been an independent tour operator which have been highly recommended on this board for years. Also in that area are various excursions to Bacalar Lagoon if you are looking for a more active excursion.

Costa maya has had a difficult time re-opening after cruising shut down. I don’t think the water park has re-opened yet. Other excursions revolve around beach days at various bars along the malecon (AI or PAYG) in the near- by town of Mahahual, or various AI small locations out of town, fishing or snorkeling.

Get off the ship and at least walk around the beautiful port.  If you are feeling like a beach day, take one of the shuttle/taxis over to the malecon beach area.  Tons of beach clubs and tons of food options.  We loved it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trafaelwyr said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I've got an excursion for Roatan and Belize booked....I'll probably skip doing an excursion on Costa Maya, but still looking for something of interest in Cozumel.

For Cozumel - Look into the bar hop excursion - A lot of people mentioned it.

1 hour ago, trafaelwyr said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I've got an excursion for Roatan and Belize booked....I'll probably skip doing an excursion on Costa Maya, but still looking for something of interest in Cozumel.

Lots of options in Cozumel, most but not all by any means centered on water, but it would help if you would indicate what you are interested in.

22 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Lots of options in Cozumel, most but not all by any means centered on water, but it would help if you would indicate what you are interested in.

you know, I don't really know.  The last time I was in Cozumel, I did this visit to the downtown area combined with a beach break.  It was an ok excursion, but I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do in Cozumel.  One thing I'd ideally like to do is see if there are any independent vinyl record stores near the port.  If not...then maybe some sort of visit to a beach.  The excursion I previously mentioned, the beach was kinda...meh.  

12 minutes ago, trafaelwyr said:

you know, I don't really know.  The last time I was in Cozumel, I did this visit to the downtown area combined with a beach break.  It was an ok excursion, but I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do in Cozumel.  One thing I'd ideally like to do is see if there are any independent vinyl record stores near the port.  If not...then maybe some sort of visit to a beach.  The excursion I previously mentioned, the beach was kinda...meh.  

OK, not really interested in, or noticed any vinyl record stores so I am afraid I can’t really help there. You may have more luck asking on one of the local Cozumel forums or the local TA Cozumel forum, where there are several local expats that would have more knowledge about availability.

As I said difficult to make suggestions without knowing your mobility or interests but as general recommendations I would second the above bar hop excursion suggestion, which includes tour of the island. Also various food tours, Cooking with Josefina, photo tour, various  beaches - quiet/active, sandy/snorkeling, AI/PAYG, watersports. Diving, snorkeling, helmet diving, electric bikes. Browsing shops off main drag - coffee shops, taco/truck stops. Private driver for multiple out of town locations - beaches, pueblo de maiz, chocolate factory, tequila, if you want to move around. Chankanaab or Punta Sur. 

hopefully if you check out some of these general ideas you will find something of interest, or something specific you can ask about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trafaelwyr said:

Beaches in Cozumel arer much, much better than the best beach in Costa maya, so if you are thinking about a beach day between the two, definitely choose Cozumel. (I can't imagine what beach you went to in  Cozumel that was meh? We found Nachi Cocum on our first trip to Cozumel and have never thought about going anywhere else. I will admit the waters on other islands are much prettier Grand Cayman, Bimini,, St. Martin, etc. But Cozumel has the best varities of beaches for any taste)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bguppies said:

Beaches in Cozumel arer much, much better than the best beach in Costa maya, so if you are thinking about a beach day between the two, definitely choose Cozumel. (I can't imagine what beach you went to in  Cozumel that was meh? We found Nachi Cocum on our first trip to Cozumel and have never thought about going anywhere else. I will admit the waters on other islands are much prettier Grand Cayman, Bimini,, St. Martin, etc. But Cozumel has the best varities of beaches for any taste)

The excursion I did in 2018 was a downtown Cozumel & beach break.  The beach was all the way on the other side of the island - the location was Playa Chen Rio.  While the beach area and all that was nice, I wasn't too impressed with the water.  The seas were a bit rough, even though it was a very nice day.  Are the beaches on the side of the island where the ship docks nicer?  By that, I mean is the water calmer and clear?  As for Nachi Cocum, was this excursion there by a third party?  I don't see that location offered by RCL.  Two excursions that they have on the island that look interesting are:  Jimny Adventure to Jade Cavern, Snorkeling and Playa Mia Beach Break and the Playa Mia Grand Beach Break.  

The East side of the island is rougher waves and shores.

Most of the beach clubs you hear about in here are all on the West side (facing the mainland)

Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos, Nachi Cocum, etc.

All are on the same stretch of sand on the west side, but each has a slightly different vibe.

The west side has less trouble with seaweed, than the east side, but MUCH less trouble than all the beaches in Costa Maya. (Costa Maya's flag should have a huge clump of seaweed on it)

Also booked Nachi Coucm through their website and took a cab from the pier there and back. Easy peasy.

Nachi Cocum is a quieter, relaxed experience with nice facilities, but it is AI, with all you can drink alcohol and a fantastic 4 course meal included.

Mr. Sanchos is right down the beach but a little more of a party atmosphere.I know they used to have AI and pay as you go options before the shutdown.

Playa Mia is just down the road and is more geared to kids with waterslides and lots of kiddie activites.

Paradise Beach is the closest to the piers on the same stretch of beach and is kind of in between Nachi and Sanchos and I think has both AI  and Pay as you go options.

I'm pretty sure cab fare is the same to all 4 clubs. (since they are all on the same stretch of beach)

Hope that helps.

Like I said a beach for every kind of beach day.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, trafaelwyr said:

The excursion I did in 2018 was a downtown Cozumel & beach break.  The beach was all the way on the other side of the island - the location was Playa Chen Rio.  While the beach area and all that was nice, I wasn't too impressed with the water.  The seas were a bit rough, even though it was a very nice day.  Are the beaches on the side of the island where the ship docks nicer?  By that, I mean is the water calmer and clear?  As for Nachi Cocum, was this excursion there by a third party?  I don't see that location offered by RCL.  Two excursions that they have on the island that look interesting are:  Jimny Adventure to Jade Cavern, Snorkeling and Playa Mia Beach Break and the Playa Mia Grand Beach Break.  

Chen Rio is on the east side of the island which is renowned for rough water, rip currents and undertow. That said Chen Rio itself does have some sheltered protected coves. The Bar Hop visits several bars on the east side. The east side is much more wild, photo ops, natural but is not so good if it is sargassum season. No electricity and cash required.

Sand and beaches are subjective,  like food. What one person finds great is not appreciated by another. The “sand” on the east side is actually better. Many “beaches” on the popular west side are actually ironshore “very rocky” and better for snorkeling but some beach bars will have created “sandy areas”. Some, at the south end of the west side, do have reasonably sandy beaches - like Nachi,  Allegra/Occidental (hotels with day passes but Allegra just suffered a massive fire and is closed), Palancar, Punta Sur, and probably Playa Mia but I have never been. Others are sandy, with some rocks - Paradise Beach, Uvas. I always wear water shoes anyway. The sandy beaches are subject to storm damage and so the depth and height of beach is variable. Not sure how long it has been since PP was at Nachi but certainly Occidental beach is much reduced currently according to reports. Beach at Nachi can shelve down into ocean which some people find difficult. As much as I enjoy Cozumel for land and sea visits I don’t find the beaches particularly attractive but I do enjoy the different “vibes” at many locations depending on the type of day I want. Water quality depends on the weather and will be murky, especially at the sandy beaches, if there has been recent storms or sand stirred up by swimmers or boat activity. Although I enjoy listening to and looking at the ocean I much prefer to swim in a pool so water quality doesn’t affect me too much.

For the most part there is absolutely no need to take a ship excursion on Cozumel. taxis are plentiful and prices posted at the pier to the popular southern and northern beach clubs, bars, resorts. Anything on the east side requires you to have a driver who stays with you, especially on a ship day, as it is much more difficult to get a return taxi unless pre-arranged.

Nachi Cocom is booked independently. It is usually a more relaxed resort - no organized activities or watersports, AI drinks, choice of 4 food items from the menu. Swimming pool with bar. Probably better for solos, couples, older people - not much for kids to do. Nachi has always had a big fan base amongst cruisers,  with many who return time after time. We visit occasionally but lots of other options for us.

Playa Mia is much more kid oriented with water park, water sports, salsa and cooking classes. It can be booked through  the cruise line or independently with different package levels. Paradise Beach and Mr Sanchos are two other popular beach club which can be booked independently and offer lots of activities and pools

16 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Beach at Nachi can shelve down into ocean which some people find difficult. 

Out of all my trips to Nachi, twice there had been storms the week before we arrived and the "shelving" a few feet from shore was noticible.

Would be dodgy for small children and mobility impaired folks. 

Good point.

@trafaelwyr

If I may piggyback on this thread, we have a similar situation with respect to an upcoming Carnival cruise with Costa Maya as a port of call but with only a 6 1/2 hour window.  In your OP you did not note how much time you will have in Costa Maya - are you facing a similarly small window of time?

We have never cruised before and while there seems to be no end of choices for things to do in Costa Maya, the fact this is such a small window of time has me thinking it would be best NOT do any excursion while in Costa Maya.  Is getting off the ship and walking around the area surrounding the port safe and does it offer things like shops, bars, restaurants, etc near the port?   We would prefer to avoid taxis and we don't mind a good amount of walking.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

3 hours ago, bbodb1 said:

@trafaelwyr

If I may piggyback on this thread, we have a similar situation with respect to an upcoming Carnival cruise with Costa Maya as a port of call but with only a 6 1/2 hour window.  In your OP you did not note how much time you will have in Costa Maya - are you facing a similarly small window of time?

We have never cruised before and while there seems to be no end of choices for things to do in Costa Maya, the fact this is such a small window of time has me thinking it would be best NOT do any excursion while in Costa Maya.  Is getting off the ship and walking around the area surrounding the port safe and does it offer things like shops, bars, restaurants, etc near the port?   We would prefer to avoid taxis and we don't mind a good amount of walking.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Unfortunately  this thread has gone sadly offtrack and has developed into a Cozumel forum thread. 

So assuming you are actually going to Costa Maya you will find there really aren’t many excursion - basically port, nearby town of Mahaual (with multiple beach bars of various loudness/standards), one or two independent AI beach clubs out of the town. The “town”, think small rural Mexico, is a 5-10 taxi ride away - other beach clubs within 30 minutes. 

“Excursions” would be to ruins, or Bacalar Lagoon, either through the cruise ship or independent vendor.

The “port area” is a large, man-made port with shops, restaurants, bars, pools, entertainment. It is perfectly safe but more expensive than local  vendors outside the enclave. 

6 - 7 hours is typical of port stops in Costa Maya for my sailings - more important would be what time of day the hours cover and how the ship hours relate to local time. Quintana Roo is on EST year round. Be sure to note all-aboard time for your sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, c-leg5 said:

Unfortunately  this thread has gone sadly offtrack and has developed into a Cozumel forum thread. 

So assuming you are actually going to Costa Maya you will find there really aren’t many excursion - basically port, nearby town of Mahaual (with multiple beach bars of various loudness/standards), one or two independent AI beach clubs out of the town. The “town”, think small rural Mexico, is a 5-10 taxi ride away - other beach clubs within 30 minutes. 

“Excursions” would be to ruins, or Bacalar Lagoon, either through the cruise ship or independent vendor.

The “port area” is a large, man-made port with shops, restaurants, bars, pools, entertainment. It is perfectly safe but more expensive than local  vendors outside the enclave. 

6 - 7 hours is typical of port stops in Costa Maya for my sailings - more important would be what time of day the hours cover and how the ship hours relate to local time. Quintana Roo is on EST year round. Be sure to note all-aboard time for your sailing.

yes, the RCL ship I'm on will be visiting Costa Maya.  My ship will actually be hitting 4 ports:  Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.  So, it seems like I should probably just visit the port we dock in and then utilize the rest of the time on ship since we dock at 11a and then depart at 7pm.  I've already got 2 out of 4 excursions booked, so I'll give Costa Maya a pass on an excursion and then try to find out if there's anything in Cozumel that strikes my interest.

• 3 weeks later...

hello to all, still undecided what to do in costa maya, our RC cruise departs on 09/17... I would favor some kind of photography tour, with a beach/lunch break, but reports on beaches there seem not encouraging! any suggestion? thank you!

I haven’t read this whole thread so forgive me if I’m repeating something.  You might consider contacting Native Choice for a tour of the Mayan Ruins.  I’m sure there would be lots of photo opportunities and I think there would be time for food too.   Good luck with whatever you decide.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have been to Costa Maya around 12 times.  1 time we went to the ruins, 2  time to went to the beach in the little town down from the port, 1 time we made it into the port and turned around.  That means 8 times we never go off the boat.  Costa Maya is not a favorite port of ours.  We have cruised 60 times and some ports get off every time but not there.  That is just us.