Pre-Cruise email question

1 hour ago, cwn said:

I take it to mean if we want Regent to help cover the the cruise loss if we test positive on the mandatory preboarding test, we need proof that we didn’t leave home with Covid,

Right, I see that now  Hmm.  In our case I guess that means we'll test in Clearwater before we drive over to Miami the day before embarkation.  Thanks for clarifying.

Think about it this way....Regent and my insurance company want to make sure I am Covid free BEFORE starting my vacation...so that if I should become sick while ON vacation, their stated policies would kick in. They are not interested in covering my loss from a time period outside of the trip.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

You are absolutely passing incorrect information.  

First, Insurance.... you need to read your policy to get accurate info.  I used Generali for my last cruise.  They will FULLY cover Covid cancellations and there is no requirement to test without symptoms at any time.  It's just another "illness."

https://www.rssc.com/HealthSafetyProtocols

That is true of CSA/Generali. Other insurers have other requirements.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I've read the page you linked...did you?

"If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a refund?
Guests who are quarantined and/or disembarked due to a positive COVID-19 test, immediate travel party or close contact as defined above should submit an insurance claim for trip interruption. Proof of claim denial from insurance carrier, proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider prior to flying to embarkation port, as well as all receipts are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date."

You missed this quote from later down: 

" Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever."   

Here is the protocol from the same page:

"Where tests are required, all guests must provide proof of a negative test result (printed or digital) at embarkation and should travel with a copy of their test result." If tests aren't required, and you don't have one, you have NOT violated the protocol.  

But interpret it anyway you wish.  If you contract Covid on day 10 of a 20 night cruise pretty sure you got it during the cruise. Do you think having a negative test 2 weeks earlier is relevant?   

But in my opinion you're overthinking this.  If you are vaxxed and boosted and get Covid you're likely looking at a few days in a cabin with full room service.  If you are symptom free, and end up testing the day before the cruise for no reason, and end up with a false positive or a non-determined result, then now you're going to miss your cruise for no reason.  

If you are leaving from the U.S., Canada, or Greece, this conversation is moot anyway as you still need a test.   

Honestly, I think this is simply a holdover from when Regent required a test before arriving at the pier AND gave another test prior to boarding.  If you failed to get the one prior to arriving, then tested positive at the pier, they could deny any FCC as you would have violated the protocol. 

Edited by papaflamingo

8 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm trying to parse this sentence but am failing.  What do you mean by "wait"?

You need to test for U.S., Canada, and Greece departures.  If you don't have a test when you show up to the cruise, Regent, for a fee, will provide one at the port.  If you choose to wait until you arrive at the port, then test positive, Regent will deny you boarding and COULD (not saying they will) refuse any FCC.  To be honest, I suspect that a lot of this is a holdover from when Regent demanded a Covid test within 3 days and then another mandatory test when you boarded.  If you failed to get the required one 3 (or was it 2) days earlier, then tested positive at the pier, then you would be in violation of their protocol and they could deny you any FCC. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

That is true of CSA/Generali. Other insurers have other requirements.

Yes.  Just like any other condition or reason to cancel, all policies have their "unique" features.  It's imperative you check your policy to see if Covid is covered. 

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

You missed this quote from later down: 

" Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever."   

Here is the protocol from the same page:

"Where tests are required, all guests must provide proof of a negative test result (printed or digital) at embarkation and should travel with a copy of their test result." If tests aren't required, and you don't have one, you have NOT violated the protocol.  

But interpret it anyway you wish.  If you contract Covid on day 10 of a 20 night cruise pretty sure you got it during the cruise. Do you think having a negative test 2 weeks earlier is relevant?   

But in my opinion you're overthinking this.  If you are vaxxed and boosted and get Covid you're likely looking at a few days in a cabin with full room service.  If you are symptom free, and end up testing the day before the cruise for no reason, and end up with a false positive or a non-determined result, then now you're going to miss your cruise for no reason.  

If you are leaving from the U.S., Canada, or Greece, this conversation is moot anyway as you still need a test.   

Honestly, I think this is simply a holdover from when Regent required a test before arriving at the pier AND gave another test prior to boarding.  If you failed to get the one prior to arriving, then tested positive at the pier, they could deny any FCC as you would have violated the protocol. 

Violating a protocol means to act against it. Getting a Covid test is not a violation of a protocol but not getting one is, as are many other things. In my professional capacity, I inquired of Regent for clarification and the email response I got in reply stated exactly what I am telling you. I also re-confirmed with my contact this week. Same with Allianz insurance. Perhaps the policy has changed or perhaps we are both misunderstanding it...but I would strongly suggest that anyone who is not 100% certain, to call Regent and get a response that is more substantial that this discussion here...there is a lot on the line, too much to assume.

Just now, Pcardad said:

Violating a protocol means to act against it. Getting a Covid test is not a violation of a protocol but not getting one is, as are many other things. In my professional capacity, I inquired of Regent for clarification and the email response I got in reply stated exactly what I am telling you. I also re-confirmed with my contact this week. Same with Allianz insurance. Perhaps the policy has changed or perhaps we are both misunderstanding it...but I would strongly suggest that anyone who is not 100% certain, to call Regent and get a response that is more substantial that this discussion here...there is a lot on the line, too much to assume.

Ok.  By the way, I NEVER said getting a test is "violating protocol."  I said that NOT testing is in keeping with protocol.  

But again, if you're leaving from the U.S., Canada, or Greece, you need a test anyway, so the point is moot.  But if you don't need a test and get one, go for it.  

Where does your cruise depart from?

22 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Ok.  By the way, I NEVER said getting a test is "violating protocol."  I said that NOT testing is in keeping with protocol.  

But again, if you're leaving from the U.S., Canada, or Greece, you need a test anyway, so the point is moot.  But if you don't need a test and get one, go for it.  

Where does your cruise depart from?

I am saying that Regent wants a negative test taking prior to your vacation before they will issue you a FCC no matter what the protocol is in the country you leave from. I am basing this statement on an email from a senior Regent employee. So does Allianz insurance (and Travel guard the last time I checked with them). While it is possible that these policies have change since the email was written, I would err on the side of caution and check with Regent directly rather than take the word of any random person on the internet. 

15 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I am saying that Regent wants a negative test taking prior to your vacation before they will issue you a FCC no matter what the protocol is in the country you leave from. I am basing this statement on an email from a senior Regent employee. So does Allianz insurance (and Travel guard the last time I checked with them). While it is possible that these policies have change since the email was written, I would err on the side of caution and check with Regent directly rather than take the word of any random person on the internet. 

Why does Allianz (my travel insurer) require a covid test before I leave home? If I test positive before leaving home, my covid insurance coverage kicks in, and they owe me all of my insured costs. To Allianz, what is the benefit of testing before my departure from home? [Note: I probably need to review my policy…..]

• Like 1

The last time I spoke with them, it was my understanding that they treated a prior sickness (cancellation) differently than a sickness you got while on the trip itself (interruption). The legalese is beyond me this morning as I just woke but your agent/policy will have the answers.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, Pcardad said:

As I said earlier, if you're cruising from a country that doesn't require a test and you think you need a one to protect coverage then by all means, get one.  If Allianz indeed requires a negative test to prove you weren't sick before you got sick then I would look at another plan.  

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

The last time I spoke with them, it was my understanding that they treated a prior sickness (cancellation) differently than a sickness you got while on the trip itself (interruption). The legalese is beyond me this morning as I just woke but your agent/policy will have the answers.

I'm no expert by any means.  And I'm not saying that what info they gave you was false.  But the whole point of an insurance policy is to cover you for cancellation if you get sick.  So when I purchase a policy I am covered from that day on.  If I purchase it 100 days before I travel, get Covid 6 days before I travel and have to cancel it, are you suggesting that they'll treat that as a "pre-existing condition?"   If so, as I said above, I'd look at a different company. 

2 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I'm no expert by any means.  And I'm not saying that what info they gave you was false.  But the whole point of an insurance policy is to cover you for cancellation if you get sick.  So when I purchase a policy I am covered from that day on.  If I purchase it 100 days before I travel, get Covid 6 days before I travel and have to cancel it, are you suggesting that they'll treat that as a "pre-existing condition?"   If so, as I said above, I'd look at a different company. 

Nah...Allianz is pretty solid. Insurance companies have different rules for cancellations vs. interruptions and that's OK with me. And Regent says, as of Friday, they they want a pre-travel Covid test in order to cover a loss from Covid if you don't have insurance. People, as always, call and verify for yourselves. Don't trust us wackos on the interwebs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1