Pre-Cruise email question

I just got the email with the Covid protocols for a cruise I'll be boarding in Stockholm in a couple of weeks. I embark the ship on a Monday. I have an included hotel night, so will arrive in Stockholm on Sunday and will depart from the U.S. on Saturday for the redeye across the pond.

The email states "Please note: Regent Seven Seas Cruises will only assist with compensation for trip interruption due to a positive COVID-19 test resulting in on-board quarantine, that is not covered by their travel insurance, if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a registered test provider taken within 3 days of embarkation travel date."

So, the question is, what is meant by "embarkation travel date"?  I am taking it to mean the date I travel from my home (i.e., Saturday) in order to eventually embark the ship, and not the date I travel from the hotel to the ship to embark. But I'm not 100% certain on that. Does anyone have solid info re what this means?

I read this as within 3 days of setting foot on the ship -- embarkation. This was how it was on our cruise (with Silversea, but still -- embark in Reykjavik on Monday, but leaving US on Friday afternoon. We took our tests Friday morning). So, if you take an antigen test on Friday, you'll have your results within that 3 day window. If your redeye is late Saturday night, not early Saturday morning, you can take your test on Saturday, too.

9 hours ago, RELS said:

I read this as within 3 days of setting foot on the ship -- embarkation. This was how it was on our cruise (with Silversea, but still -- embark in Reykjavik on Monday, but leaving US on Friday afternoon. We took our tests Friday morning). So, if you take an antigen test on Friday, you'll have your results within that 3 day window. If your redeye is late Saturday night, not early Saturday morning, you can take your test on Saturday, too.

That was the rule when the tests were required to board. Now they are only requiring them to get compensation if you get sick. The language in the notices when it was required said “prior to embarkation” rather than what it now says—“embarkation travel date.” I’m thinking that the “travel date” language changes the meaning.

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

Would it matter when the insurance policy was purchased? If testing was the rule at purchase, is it still necessary? I would ask the insurance agent/company for clarification. In writing!

You can barely get the insurance companies on the phone anymore. And they won't put anything in writing. I've carefully read the policy, and much about this is left (deliberately in all likelihood) vague. I'll just do the test--it's a good idea anyway. I just want to figure out the timing so that I have the results before I leave.

• Like 2

We are testing pre-cruise as well, after receiving the email from Regent.

Please note: Regent Seven Seas Cruises will only assist with travel-related expenses related to any mandatory quarantine, that are not covered by their travel insurance, if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a registered test provider taken within 72-hours of embarkation travel date.

Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result taken within 72-hours of embarkation date must show guest name, guest date of birth, name of test provider, test provider’s contact details, test result and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

9 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

No, but it’s recommended in case you get covid onboard and need to file an insurance claim. It’s safest to be able to prove you didn’’t have it at the time you boarded.

My suggestion is not to worry about it.  If you are vaccinated then likely IF you get Covid you'll only be quarantined for 5 days or so.   I assume you're vaccinated?  We just finished 40 nights on Navigator.  Sure some people got Covid, but they were simply isolated until they tested negative.  I think the policy you are referring to is from when Regent tested at the pier before boarding. They no longer do that.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:37 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

I just got the email with the Covid protocols for a cruise I'll be boarding in Stockholm in a couple of weeks. I embark the ship on a Monday. I have an included hotel night, so will arrive in Stockholm on Sunday and will depart from the U.S. on Saturday for the redeye across the pond.

The email states "Please note: Regent Seven Seas Cruises will only assist with compensation for trip interruption due to a positive COVID-19 test resulting in on-board quarantine, that is not covered by their travel insurance, if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a registered test provider taken within 3 days of embarkation travel date."

So, the question is, what is meant by "embarkation travel date"?  I am taking it to mean the date I travel from my home (i.e., Saturday) in order to eventually embark the ship, and not the date I travel from the hotel to the ship to embark. But I'm not 100% certain on that. Does anyone have solid info re what this means?

I interpreted it the same way you did. Your “embarkation travel” starts when you head for the airport. For our Copenhagen to Stockholm cruise in July we flew to Copenhagen several days early, arriving three days before embarkation. We tested three days before leaving home to meet the requirement you are asking about then did a proctored test in Copenhagen to meet the pre-boarding test requirement in force in July. 

For purposes of Covid "coverage" by Regent (or by your insurance), you need to establish that you do NOT have Covid prior to starting your trip. Starting your trip is the day you fly, the day you stay in a hotel (if driving) or the day you get on the ship (if you drive directly there).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I wanted to hear this from the horse’s mouth (or the mouth of an employee of the horse), so called Regent.  The paragraph the uses the language “embarkation travel date” means date of embarkation on the ship, BUT refers to whatever compensation Regent might provide if you get Covid while aboard and HAVE NO INSURANCE. 

If you have insurance, you should still get tested before the trip, because the insurance company will want proof that you were negative before you left. And apparently 3 days is the standard for insurance as well. But, most of us get insurance that kicks in when we leave home—i.e., when we get on our flights. So, three days before leaving is the relevant period there. 

2 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

If you have insurance, you should still get tested before the trip, because the insurance company will want proof that you were negative before you left. And apparently 3 days is the standard for insurance as well. But, most of us get insurance that kicks in when we leave home—i.e., when we get on our flights. So, three days before leaving is the relevant period there. 

I have to question this.  Insurance covers cancellation for any covered reason from the tine you purchase the policy.  So if I purchase the policy 1 year before I sail, and have to cancel 3 weeks prior to leaving, my policy will reimburse me for any non-reimbursable expenses.  If my policy covers Covid, then it would reimburse me for Covid cancellation.  

The "test before arriving at the port" portion is really a holdover from when you got tested at the port prior to boarding.  Now, you don't get that.  Either you're required to test within 48 hours or not required to test at all.  If you aren't required to test at all, and get Covid on day 2, unless you are very sick, you merely get quarantined until you test negative.  If you are sick enough to be evacuated then your insurance kicks in.  There really is no need to test prior to boarding unless required (i.e. sailing to or from Canada).  If you have no symptoms, there's no reason to suspect you have Covid. 

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I have to question this.  Insurance covers cancellation for any covered reason from the tine you purchase the policy.  So if I purchase the policy 1 year before I sail, and have to cancel 3 weeks prior to leaving, my policy will reimburse me for any non-reimbursable expenses.  If my policy covers Covid, then it would reimburse me for Covid cancellation.  

The "test before arriving at the port" portion is really a holdover from when you got tested at the port prior to boarding.  Now, you don't get that.  Either you're required to test within 48 hours or not required to test at all.  If you aren't required to test at all, and get Covid on day 2, unless you are very sick, you merely get quarantined until you test negative.  If you are sick enough to be evacuated then your insurance kicks in.  There really is no need to test prior to boarding unless required (i.e. sailing to or from Canada).  If you have no symptoms, there's no reason to suspect you have Covid. 

It goes to the issue of the trip interruption provisions of most travel insurance policies, which generally include provisions for having been quarantined. If you have to spend, say, 5 days of your cruise in quarantine, insurance should reimburse you for the per diem for those 5 days, plus any out of pocket expenses.   Apparently, they are wanting to see proof that you didn't have covid when you set out on the journey. 

6 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

It goes to the issue of the trip interruption provisions of most travel insurance policies, which generally include provisions for having been quarantined. If you have to spend, say, 5 days of your cruise in quarantine, insurance should reimburse you for the per diem for those 5 days, plus any out of pocket expenses.   Apparently, they are wanting to see proof that you didn't have covid when you set out on the journey. 

Oh.  Seems like are overthinking this too much.  To be honest, I'm not going to test before a cruise if I don't have to and I don't have symptoms.  

• Like 1

We are currently on the Splendor.  Both of us got Covid while on the trip.  I will be turning in a claim when we get home (at least for the medication).  I will report back on how our insurance pays out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Am I correct that if you embark in Miami, a pre-test is still required?  (I'm not sailing until January but suspect things won't change that much until then.)

It's a bit confusing, but From the Regent website:

"For cruises sailing from ports in the United States all guests are required to complete a COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test from a lab or pharmacy within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal."

It seems this is for ALL passengers, but keep a close look on the website as it may change (yet again) at a moments notice.

https://www.rssc.com/HealthSafetyProtocols

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Oh.  Seems like are overthinking this too much.  To be honest, I'm not going to test before a cruise if I don't have to and I don't have symptoms.  

If you do not, your insurance will not cover you nor will Regent's Covid loss policy.

21 hours ago, Pcardad said:

If you do not, your insurance will not cover you nor will Regent's Covid loss policy.

You are absolutely passing incorrect information.  

First, Insurance.... you need to read your policy to get accurate info.  I used Generali for my last cruise.  They will FULLY cover Covid cancellations and there is no requirement to test without symptoms at any time.  It's just another "illness." 

Second, if there is no requirement to test to board the ship then there's no requirement to test before you board the ship.  If you board the ship and are later diagnosed with Covid, you'll be isolated for a few days or evacuated if medically required.  Reimbursement is NOT based on pre-cruise testing.  The only time failure to test pre-cruise comes into play is if you WAIT to take a mandatory test AT THE PORT.  

You should read the entire page on Regent's Website.  Be sure to read the General Health and Safety section under Frequently Asked Questions.  As long as you comply with their Health and Safety Protocol, you're covered.  If no test is required, then no test is required.  If a test IS required, i.e. boarding in the U.S., Canada, or Greece, then you'll be getting a pre-cruise test and this discussion is moot. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

You are absolutely passing incorrect information.  

First, Insurance.... you need to read your policy to get accurate info.  I used Generali for my last cruise.  They will FULLY cover Covid cancellations and there is no requirement to test without symptoms at any time.  It's just another "illness." 

Second, if there is no requirement to test to board the ship then there's no requirement to test before you board the ship.  If you board the ship and are later diagnosed with Covid, you'll be isolated for a few days or evacuated if medically required.  Reimbursement is NOT based on pre-cruise testing.  The only time failure to test pre-cruise comes into play is if you WAIT to take a mandatory test AT THE PORT.  

You should read the entire page on Regent's Website.  Be sure to read the General Health and Safety section under Frequently Asked Questions.  As long as you comply with their Health and Safety Protocol, you're covered.  If no test is required, then no test is required.  If a test IS required, i.e. boarding in the U.S., Canada, or Greece, then you'll be getting a pre-cruise test and this discussion is moot. 

I've read the page you linked...did you?

"If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a refund?
Guests who are quarantined and/or disembarked due to a positive COVID-19 test, immediate travel party or close contact as defined above should submit an insurance claim for trip interruption. Proof of claim denial from insurance carrier, proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider prior to flying to embarkation port, as well as all receipts are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date."

Wendy, This issue is driving me crazy when I think about it, but it doesn’t come into play for us until we board the Splendor on the 3rd Dec.so we are just wait to see the pre cruise information for our cruise.

I take it to mean if we want Regent to help cover the the cruise loss if we test positive on the mandatory preboarding test, we need proof that we didn’t leave home with Covid, we didn’t get sick until after the 48 hour preboarding count down started.. If we wait and only test at the pier and are positive We will get no consideration for our cruise loss  from Regent because we can’t prove we were healthy when we left home for the trip. For shorter trips like this we don’t by insurance.

For us we will drive from TX. We will allow 4 days. At this point we will test  before we leave home and then within the 48 period and hopefully be negative. At this point our Walgreens is providing test that have fast results and we can use an on line test while traveling. 

This can all change in 3 months and we have at home tests as a back up to see where we stand. But I will be glad when they drop the test requirement. We are around people daily and almost nobody wears a mask here anymore.

Edited by cwn