Restrictions still in December??

dis2cruise

Impossible to answer, sorry.  That would totally depend on when you cruise, and those island's restrictions at that time.  It is an ever-changing situation, not necessarily regulated by the cruiselines.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dis2cruise said:

We are considering a cruise…finally!! One of the couples were thinking of going with is not vaccinated.  So, before

we start the booking process…can they get off the ship in Saint Kitts and San Juan??

thanks a bunch😊

Currently yes they can get off the ship as neither ports require a negative covid test. 

There are some cruise lines that are already pushing the limits.  We just learned we don't have to test (vaccinated) on our Princess cruise in October and it's 14 days.  So far Royal and Celebrity have only relaxed things on some cruises fewer than 6 days, but it wouldn't surprise me if they extend it... depending on how it works out for Carnival and Princess.

I totally don't get the reason why unvaccinated guests need to be tested, but vaccinated ones don't.  It's not like you can't be contagious if your vaccinated (it may be less likely).  It's also way easier to not know you you have COVID when you're vaccinated since you may not even have symptoms.

We'll see where it all goes...  I think it will be really hard on the cruise industry if there's a big break out for unvaccinated guests on a cruise.

What makes the issue more complicated is what type of test does one need.  Antigen, NAAT, PCR.  Also when should the test be obtained, at times of board, 24 hrs before, 72 hrs before.  

In the case of Antigen tests there are numerous cases of individuals testing negative, then becomming positive 24 hrs later.  In the case of the PCR there are numerous false positives.

In addition, despite all the testing, there is a fairly high number of individual who board the ship test negative, then leave the ship positive or convert to positive within 1-2 days.

Perhaps the cruise industry should treat Covid as they do Influenza which doesn't require testing.  I do feel that more emphasis should be to encourage individuals who are at risk to have a course of both Paxlovid and Tamiflu to take with them before they cruise.