Price=OMG

deliver42

9 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Could be...that is a nice guess, but why not just let post #10 in the thread stand instead of speculating?

Good point!!

I do think it's worth noting for anyone considering Prima. At this time, NCL is pricing Prima in line with luxury lines. If you are currently looking at booking Prima and are willing to spend that $$$; you may want to take a look at some of the REAL luxury lines and compare amenities. Prima looks great, but the amenities offered don't warrant Silverseas pricing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I highly doubt it's "OMG I can't afford that" as much as it is "OMG I can sail on a true luxury line for those prices".  

We booked a 7 night balcony on the Beyond this December for alot less than the OPs quote on the Prima.  Celebrity straddles the threshold for luxary line.

We have 4 cruise next certs and i have been trying so hard to find a sailing to use them on, but we keep going with other lines because their prices are much lower.

I keep seeing Azamara and Oceana cruises that seem like great deals and have been itching to try them.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SeaShark said:

OMG as in "what an unbelievable bargain" or OMG as in "I can't afford THAT"?

OMG as in let's overreact and claim to be "shocked" that something that a lot of people want has an expensive asking price.  What a "shocker." 🤣  Such thought processes often lead to further hyperbole such as:

19 hours ago, deliver42 said:

almost fell over

👀

13 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Call me crazy, but that sounds like a reasonable price to me for a brand spanking new ship. OP also failed to mention how many days the cruise is for, or where it's sailing as all of that greatly impacts the cost. 

I agree.  Beautiful ship. Would love to sail on it.  Trying to compete with the higher end cruising instead of the party ships.  It would be my preference.  I would much rather pay more and have the luxury experience than pack on like sardines onto a 6000 passenger mega ship booze cruise.

• Like 1

Yes that's high, but that's been the trend with new ships. Let it die down for a year, and book on the Escape, Encore, Bliss or Joy instead for much cheaper in the meantime.

I remember when I was just getting back into cruising and the Gem was the newest ship, and the other Jewel-class ships were also pretty high. I couldn't afford her, so I sailed on the Spirit, Sky, Star and Dawn until I got a raise and I could splurge a little more on the newer ships. By then we were on to the -away class ships!

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Don't they offer the free booze package on the Prima?  Which NCL ship sails with 6000 passengers?

They do.  So did Royal, Princess, HAL and Carnival when I sailed on them.  I found that more people who go on the "Mega ships" are there for the party, the go carts, the ice skating, the on board shopping malls and the other out there experiences, all the while 24 hour drinking.  In my experience (just my opinion), I saw that the smaller ships (which offer less of the glitzy attractions), tend to be calmer.  Yes, with the "free booze" package, there are always those who over indulge.  I would rather have a more genteel cruise experience, relaxing, good food, a nice environment, some nice destinations and, yes - a few drinks. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, scooter6139 said:

None that I can think of.  Must be referring to those RCL Monsters.

Unfortunately, yes.  Never again.  Will try to keep my sailings on ships around 2000 passengers or less from now on.  From someone with crowd anxiety, it was a terrible experience.  I had thought based on ship size alone, it would compensate for the amount of passengers - I was wrong. 
Next sailing is on the NCL Dawn - at full capacity - 2200 ish but it is looking like they will not be close to full. Yay!

Of course you're going to pay more for one of the earlier sailings on a brand new ship. Wait a bit and there will be deals offered for the Prima. Supply and demand. Also as we all know prices vary greatly on different dates depending on demand. 

• Like 3

On 8/17/2022 at 6:08 PM, deliver42 said:

OMG as in I'm not paying that. Nothing to do with affording.

I agree.  If I were paying that price to be on-board, it would be on-board a luxury all-inclusive ship.  

It remains to be seen if Norwegian can fill its mainstream vessels while charging luxury rates.  My guess is that if you wait 2 years to book, you’ll get the same lovely balcony at a third of the price.