QM2 Ships Tour - What is included?

techteach

4 hours ago, techteach said:

If you book the QM2 ships tour do you get to see the engine room and good places like that? I’ve been in professional kitchens, so I don’t need that. I want the engineering.

Engine control area but engine room.

I don’t know if they started these again but my husband took one on the QM2 a few years ago and loved it.  As I recall it wasn’t cheap.

You don’t visit the engine room but you do visit other areas of the ship and meet with the senior officers from the departments, including engineering.  They went backstage at the theater and got to see how those quick costume changes are made possible for example.

At the end of the tour they met with the Captain in an informal setting.  He loved it.

I did the Queen Elizabeth tour pre-Covid. I didn't keep notes but from memory it included theatre backstage, medical unit, bow anchor chain space, control room, print shop, stores, refuse disposal, galley and bridge. It cost around $150. Note that no photos are allowed, also they book up quickly.

46 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

No photos are allowed on the tour - but a photographer accompanies the group, and took photos on the Bridge.

If I remember correctly, one photo taken on stage in the theatre with some of the singers and dancers was free, while the photos taken on the bridge, eg. with the captain and "steering" the ship, were sold for dear money.

Edited by carlmm

2 minutes ago, carlmm said:

If I remember correctly, one photo taken on stage in the theatre with some of the singers and dancers was free, while the photos taken on the bridge, eg. with the captain and "steering" the ship, were sold for dear money.

Ours were included in the tour price, but that was a while ago. It may have changed.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a better memory (our tour was around 2012). The tour was the first or second day of a crossing. And I think it was about 4 hours, including a stop for champagne and hors d'oeuvres.

But note: we had to go straight to the excursion desk to book, practically as soon as we boarded. I think there were about 15 on the tour. In a subsequent trip we suggested that a friend take the tour. She missed the first group, but there must have been sufficient demand that she was included in a second group.

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 1

DH and I have done this type of tour twice on Carnival, and our son just finished a rotation as Chief Engineer on a US destroyer. I think the Engine Control Room is a much better tour than the engine room itself; the control room shows you not only engine operations but also things like fire control and HVAC, whereas the engine room is just a noisy space with - engines and generators.