Chichen Itza: Is it worth seeing?

PittsburghNative

Myself and DH went to Chichen Itza on our honeymoon a zillion years ago back when you could actually climb up the main pyramid! We have also been to Tulum, which is beautiful being right there on the cliff above the water. I think Chichen Itza is definitely worth seeing but only on a ship excursion so they'll get you back to the ship. It is a long way.

• Like 1

I agree with #2, if you love Mexico enough to return for a longer visit, save Chichen Itza and other amazing sights for that. 
We loved it here so much after 20+ years of visiting we built a retirement home in the Riviera Maya. Highly recommend a longer visit here!

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PittsburghNative said:

Thanks for the replies! Yes, distance is the main factor on why I’m debating going. If it was an hour or so away, then it’s a definite yes. I would just hope being on the bus a majority of the day would still make it worth seeing.

It's 8 hours RT ferry and bus.  There are airplane flights that reduce the time significantly if you grab their tour.  But as previous poster said, you can't climb the temples anymore so basically a lot of walking around just looking up at things.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on a Carnival excursion to Chichen Itza from the port at Progresso, after taking the ferry ride to the mainland from Cozumel into account that'll take about an hour less each way.

And I'll say yes, it was definitely worth seeing (we had also visited Tulum several years ago).

• 2 months later...

We did the Chichén Itza tour on our last cruise.  The site is absolutely amazing.  Much more impressive than any other Mayan site.  But, as others have said, you spend more time in the ferry and the bus than you do at the site.

our guide handed us headphones when we got off the bus, started talking the moment we entered the park, and didn’t stop for a moment.  No bathroom break (he talked while we visited the ladies room), no chance to stop and buy souvenirs,  he just kept talking and showing the sites from the moment we arrived until the moment he led us back to the bus.

We did a cruise excursion to Chichen Itza and we are very glad we did.  During the ride our guide gave us a great talk about the history of the area, the animals in the area, local customs, etc.  It was not boring at all.  At the site we had tablets that showed what the ruins originally looked like but it would be just as good without the tablet.  

We had a little bit of time to visit the vendors and there was some nice stuff to buy if you wanted to.

We really love history and even though it took a full day we thought, when are we ever going to see things like this if we don't do it now?  

• 4 weeks later...

If you have taken this tour from an NCL or other line, how much time did you actually get to walk around at the ruins?

Oceania offers a 9 hour tour to Chichen Itza, warning that "Approximate time at the ruins is 45 to 60 minutes. Travel time is approximately 3.5 hours each way (45 minutes ferry transfer to Playa Del Carmen and 2.5 hours bus ride to Mayan Ruins." I'm wondering how accurate this is. Also how comfortable the buses are that Oceania uses.

We've seen a good number of Mayan ruins. This will be our only chance to see Chichen Itza; we'll never come back by land.

P.S.: If you comment on a tour you've taken, it would help to know the cruise line. Different lines use different equipment.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We have reservations in April from the Cozumel port to Chichen Itza.  Long day on a bus, I understand.

Q:  Is there an opportunity to get food (ferry, local vendors) on this excursion?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 5:58 PM, Yukonjake said:

We have reservations in April from the Cozumel port to Chichen Itza.  Long day on a bus, I understand.

Q:  Is there an opportunity to get food (ferry, local vendors) on this excursion?

I’d suggest a more personal experience with a respected driver. Our favorite trusted taxi/excursion driver just took 3 girls from Cozumel to the Tulum ruins and other spots for their day in the Riviera Maya. And others to Chichen Itza. 
I wouldn’t want to do that on a shared bus…