Hawaii

ROYALBOY

Bring every layer of clothes you have. Last time I went up to Haleakala the temp in my car registered 33 degrees and that was out of the wind (and the wind can be fierce). Not sure what month you are traveling, but it has snowed up there in January the last few years. 

However; it's totally worth a little shivering..........

IMG_1732.jpg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ROYALBOY said:

Does anyone know if Celebrity keeps tenders running all night when they overnight in Maui. We are booked for a Haleakala Sunrise with pickup at 2:30AM. Many thanks.

Are you doing the one with the bike ride back down the mountain?  We did this and it is one of my favorite excursions ever.  Watching the sunrise while you are above the clouds is truly a unique experience and the 26 mile bike ride down to the coast was really nice--we removed layers as we would stop at different scenic views on the way down.

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Bring every layer of clothes have with you. Last time I went up to Haleakala the temp in my car registered 33 degrees and that was out of the wind (and the wind can be fierce). Not sure what month you are traveling, but it has snowed up there in January the last few years. 

However; it's totally worth a little shivering..........

IMG_1732.jpg

If it’s a Celebrity ship, it’s either April, May or September.

8 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

Are you doing the one with the bike ride back down the mountain?  We did this and it is one of my favorite excursions ever.  Watching the sunrise while you are above the clouds is truly a unique experience and the 26 mile bike ride down to the coast was really nice--we removed layers as we would stop at different scenic views on the way down.

No just a tour ride up and ride down

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

No snow those months, but it will still be frigid. And if it's windy, it will be freezing (literally lol). Pack up the layers. You won't be disappointed you brought them. 

May

9 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

Just know that there is currently a move on Maui to ban the bike ride down (or change the way it is handled). I don't want to be a debbie downer, but you should know what you are getting into if you sign up for this particular experience. Most locals in the area are very much against this tour. There is a discussion about this on the Hawaii forum you may want to read before signing up for the ride down. 

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just know that there is currently a move on Maui to ban the bike ride down (or change the way it is handled). I don't want to be a debbie downer, but you should know what you are getting into if you sign up for this particular experience. Most locals in the area are very much against this tour. There is a discussion about this on the Hawaii forum you may want to read before signing up for the ride down. 

I will need to go read this.....kind of curious as to why they have a problem with it.

• Like 1

Bike tours are banned from starting up at Haleakala National Park.  They have been for years.  Guided tours clog up the roads, while groups are traveling a two-lane road.  Many people who have not ridden in ages don't understand it is downhill braking the whole way!  Then when they leave the park road, making their way down to Makawao, they create a hazard.  The ride can be dangerous.  

Many on the unguided tour, have no respect for others, and there have been accidents.  It is not just the safety, but the few owner's $$$ impacting those that live on Maui.  Pick something else.

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Too many accidents, I believe.

Many years ago we were on a rental car shuttle back to the airport.  There was some poor soul on that bus with 2 broken limbs and road rash everywhere.  They forgot to tighten the front tire on his bike prior to the ride down.  Oops  

On 8/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, CruisnDeb said:

I will need to go read this.....kind of curious as to why they have a problem with it.

100% a safety issue.  The roads are not very wide.  We were driving up and as someone else said…so many unskilled riders! We frequently came around curves to find people all over the road and several times children in our lane.  It’s all downhill and they lose control of their bikes.  It was very scary as a driver even going so slow. The speed limit is low but with the blind curves and drop offs it would be near impossible to avoid an accident in some cases.  We even saw people getting way too close to the edges.  We aren’t locals and even we were surprised they were allowed to ride down.