Allure and Oasis of the Seas azipods

sowhat

There is a video bragging  how Allure of the Seas having  azipods  repaired in submersible dock with cofferdams.

Is there a video  of Oasis of the Seas azipods  beening repaired in the same situation ?

2 minutes ago, sowhat said:

There is a video bragging  how Allure of the Seas having  azipods  repaired in submersible dock with cofferdams.

Is there a video  of Oasis of the Seas azipods  beening repaired in the same situation ?

Oasis broke the cofferdam in Freeport

grand bahamas dry dock oasis crane collapse

From April 2, 2019

Royal Caribbean’s mega-ship Oasis of the Seas was involved in an apparent dry dock failure and a crane accident in the port of Freeport, Bahamas on Monday.

Oasis of the Seas was in the Grand Bahamas shipyard for one week for scheduled repairs to her azipod propellers ahead of her transatlantic crossing for a dry dock in Europe this summer.

Floating dry dock #2 at the Grand Bahama Shipyard is the largest dry dock near the United States and can handle most cruise ships. But Oasis-class ships are too large (According to the Grand Bahamas Shipyard website, floating Dry Dock #2 can accommodate ships up to 985 feet, with a maximum beam of 154 feet and a draught of up to 27 feet. Oasis of the Seas has a length of 1,186 feet, 198 ft. maximum beam and a draught of 30.6 feet.). To be able to repair azipods on Oasis-class ships on this side of the world, the Grand Bahama Shipyard utilizes a system of  cofferdams - or watertight enclosures below the water line - that surround the azipods while the rest of the ship is still floating. This procedure was first conducted in 2014 on Allure of the Seas, the subject of this documentary on YouTube.

The cofferdam procedure had started Sunday, March 31 and was well underway on Monday morning, April 1 as shared on Facebook by Royal Caribbean chief meteorologist James Van Fleet.

• Thanks 1

The crane collapse was a symptom, not the cause.

I'm not sure they ever officially announced the cause, other than an implication that the ship slipped off the supports in the dry dock, which is a risk for all dry dock work, wet or dry

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm not sure they ever officially announced the cause, other than an implication that the ship slipped off the supports in the dry dock, which is a risk for all dry dock work, wet or dry

Eye opening how many cranes collapse.

Like I said, dangerous work

Found this in an article about new Chinese drydocks being built for Freeport. Joint project for Royal and Carnival

Screenshot_20220819-152203_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1261faa96bf6518a3024abec44b03aef.jpg

The one that cracked was likely WW2 surplus. 

Oops, never mind, it was built in 1976 for a Portland shipyard. 

Sold to Freeport in 2001

Apologies

Edited by John&LaLa

In ship yards there  are no accidents, which refers  no one  is to blame.

The submersible  dock was attempting  to lift  a load to big for it, possibly weakened  by lifting over weight  Allure
It started to leak and break up and collapse resulting  in  the ship moving and cranes falling

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It didn't fall off the blocks until the dock collapsed and sank.

34 minutes ago, sowhat said:

In ship yards there  are no accidents, which refers  no one  is to blame.

The submersible  dock was attempting  to lift  a load to big for it, possibly weakened  by lifting over weight  Allure
It started to leak and break up and collapse resulting  in  the ship moving and cranes falling

Well, there had been calculations done, and it was determined that the dock was not going to lift over its capacity, since the forward 1/3 of the ship was still being supported in the water, and the 2/3 being lifted was not lifting the entire aft end out of the water, just enough that the cofferdam walls would be above water.  If I remember, there was still about 10-12' of water inside the dock, around the cofferdams.  So, not all of the weight of the aft end was being carried by the dock.  I think that the failure was caused by the dock being old (I believe it was at least 40 years old), and likely not surveyed as often as ships are.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I think that the failure was caused by the dock being old (I believe it was at least 40 years old), and likely not surveyed as often as ships are.

Ironic that the docks are used to inspect the ships for safety every five years by law, and yet there isn't a similar law to make sure the docks themselves are inspected for safety. 

• Like 1