Help me pick an obstr balcony

h-sar

Transatlantic on Regal from Southampton, early Oct, 2023. Yes, finally thinking ahead to my retirement gift to myself!! 
Have the opportunity to book M101, L103, E110, or E403.  The first 3 have the metal partial  ‘walls’ and I assume a shorter female like myself would not be able to see any water if sitting down? Also worried about wind in the two forward facing cabins. E403 is the typical very narrow balcony, but the obstruction of some equipment (not a lifeboat) is on the left part of balcony only and doesn’t prevent one from seeing the water. There are multiple sea days and the thought of having all that space for two people on the first three balconies seems ideal, but if I can’t see the water unless I stand, is there any point? We would be doing a lot of reading on the balcony.

For those with first hand experience with the categories of cabins above, what are your thoughts? PS…budget precludes unobstr cabins, so please don’t suggest that.

Thank you 

20 minutes ago, h-sar said:

Transatlantic on Regal from Southampton, early Oct, 2023. Yes, finally thinking ahead to my retirement gift to myself!! 
Have the opportunity to book M101, L103, E110, or E403.  The first 3 have the metal partial  ‘walls’ and I assume a shorter female like myself would not be able to see any water if sitting down? Also worried about wind in the two forward facing cabins. E403 is the typical very narrow balcony, but the obstruction of some equipment (not a lifeboat) is on the left part of balcony only and doesn’t prevent one from seeing the water. There are multiple sea days and the thought of having all that space for two people on the first three balconies seems ideal, but if I can’t see the water unless I stand, is there any point? We would be doing a lot of reading on the balcony.

For those with first hand experience with the categories of cabins above, what are your thoughts? PS…budget precludes unobstr cabins, so please don’t suggest that.

Thank you 

I'd go with the E403.  Or, can you get one slightly more aft?  The 403 is slightly larger than normal balcony.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, h-sar said:

Thank you 

Hi,

We have sailed in Emerald 429,433, 437 many times.  These are mid ship by the lifts.  We love these cabin.  Very good view with larger balcony.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I'd go with the E403.  Or, can you get one slightly more aft?  The 403 is slightly larger than normal balcony.

Unfortunately, the mid aft available ones seem to all have lifeboats in front of them.

16 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Hi,

We have sailed in Emerald 429,433, 437 many times.  These are mid ship by the lifts.  We love these cabin.  Very good view with larger balcony.

Was hoping for one of those, but all unavailable. 403 was the only one left and its larger size is pretty negligible compared to the ones you mentioned.

Edited by h-sar
  • Like 1

There used to be a great website with lots of pictures.  The link below is sort of what it was like.  Maybe someone will  post.  Don't know if it will open but you can find it.  All the cabins are deluxe balcony which is great as you will have the small loveseat. I know where you are coming from in terms of needing to limit to obstructed view.  Try googling room numbers and You Tube.  

An early Happy Retirement.  You will love it.

Regal Princess Obstructed Stateroom View (cruisedeckplans.com)

• Like 2

From the ones you find available, I would go with E403.

I have been in E405 right next to it.  And loved the even bigger balcony.

You will be close that first forward lifeboat, which will be slightly below the line of vision from your balcony.  But, other than that, no obstruction, just overlooking that deck area below.

NOTE:  there are lights on the railing of that deck area which might shine up towards your balcony at a night.  Wish Princess would adjust that, but doubt that they have.

This cabin, unlike the ones on Port side above Crooner's, will have no sound/noise from below.

Also, if you book a cabin, such as this one, and another cabin in that same category comes available....  Then you can move.  For example, if cabin E405 or another one with a bigger balcony opens up because of cancellation or upgrade,  then you can switch over to that cabin.  As long as it is the same category.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

NOTE:  there are lights on the railing of that deck area which might shine up towards your balcony at a night.

We were in Discovery’s E409 and this is what the lights shining down from the Skywalk looked for us. In the first photo it’s illuminating to shades over the outdoor dining area of Gigi’s Pizzeria. As visible is the new composite material railing which replaced the previous varnished wooden railing that required regular varnishing.

B60907A9-9089-4B4A-A9C1-F9A3DBEA1015.jpeg

37436617-27B2-4F9A-82F1-810D0F235989.jpeg

292E7E15-3905-4B03-90FA-4FFD3D00207B.jpeg

5D283501-87E4-497F-90E5-66AF045974DD.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

I'd take a guarantee in the obstructed view balcony category for the lowest price and then take my chances at an upgrade to a non obstructed balcony.  Doing that on a short repo next month.  

Effective 9/6/22 free upgrades will become rare, or even nonexistent with their new Bidding for Upgrades program after already becoming less likely with paid upsells.

11 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Effective 9/6/22 free upgrades will become rare, or even nonexistent with their new Bidding for Upgrades program after already becoming less likely with paid upsells.

OK, but if you're booking what Princess would consider the worst category what's the harm in booking a guarantee?  Also, other lines have been doing this bidding for a whole now and not much has changed.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

OK, but if you're booking what Princess would consider the worst category what's the harm in booking a guarantee?

The harm for my wife’s motion sickness tendency is being moved from the lowest balcony categories (Emerald deck midship BW/DW) to be upgraded to a balcony on an upper deck forward cabin. That’s why we mark our midship obstructed view balconies as no upgrade & even though that’s just a request we’ve never been moved from those cabins.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

I was quite sad to see this as also thought that some of the upsell and upgrades will no longer be offered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

My question is, why are you only looking at cabins on the starboard side, or is that all that is available?  That time of year, sailing east to west, the sun will be on the port side…EM

Good catch 😄.

My best friend, who will be joining me as DH will be working, can’t handle the sun - I was lucky to be born with a natural tan 😁so can handle it; she has Scottish/Irish blood and burns within seconds, and she would be the one who would really use the balcony well.

Another CC member offered me hint for shorter people (like me). She said to stack the two balcony chairs on which to sit and then you can see the view! I have not tried that yet, but we loved our huge forward balcony on the Regal! We could use it at any time, but needed to take care to close the curtains at night so lights did not bother the Bridge.

• Like 1

Asked TA to book E403. Will keep my eyes open for one of the larger balconies a few cabins up from there. The huuuuge balconies toward the front, at the same price, were really tempting, but the big metal half wall would have been ok for a Caribbean cruise with a couple of sea days, but not with 9. Thank you for all your advice and input, everyone! Can always count on CC friends to come though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, h-sar said:

Asked TA to book E403. Will keep my eyes open for one of the larger balconies a few cabins up from there. The huuuuge balconies toward the front, at the same price, were really tempting, but the big metal half wall would have been ok for a Caribbean cruise with a couple of sea days, but not with 9. Thank you for all your advice and input, everyone! Can always count on CC friends to come though.

You made a great decision. I’ve also dismissed those forward balconies as I’m also short and don’t see the point of a balcony, if I can’t see the ocean while seated. We love the obstructed view cabins.  We lucked out and got E425 for our next cruise. 

16 hours ago, h-sar said:

Thank you 

L103 all day long 😁 But sssh don’t tell everyone 🤫 Our go to balcony from now on 👌 Don’t be put off by any negative comments, if you get the benefits of this cabin then all well and good, if you don’t, ah well 😎

1 minute ago, devonuk said:

L103 all day long 😁 But sssh don’t tell everyone 🤫 Our go to balcony from now on 👌 Don’t be put off by any negative comments, if you get the benefits of this cabin then all well and good, if you don’t, ah well 😎

That was ours on the Regal!!! So great.............

• Like 1