Arrive Can

DShier1a

My husband and I are from Vancouver, cruising to Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver.

Am I understanding correct that I just need arrive can for when the ship returns to Vancouver when we disembark?

( I already have our passport and vaccine info saved in app)

While you will need to use the app because of your departure from and subsequent arrival in Canada at Vancouver, you will need to make your ArriveCAN submission and have your receipt prior to embarkation in Vancouver at the start of the cruise. You can either use the app or the online version of ArriveCAN.

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While you will need to use the app because of your departure from and subsequent arrival in Canada at Vancouver, you will need to make your ArriveCAN submission and have your receipt prior to embarkation in Vancouver at the start of the cruise. You can either use the app or the online version of ArriveCAN.

Question if you dont mind, 

can i use the older version ( 7 ) as i cant access the newer version ( 9 ) on my 

xr iphone or my wifes 12 iphone. 

People at the Apple store said the app isnt available yet on the app store.

22 minutes ago, loman said:

Question if you dont mind, 

can i use the older version ( 7 ) as i cant access the newer version ( 9 ) on my 

xr iphone or my wifes 12 iphone. 

People at the Apple store said the app isnt available yet on the app store.

The current iPhone version is 3.0.7

The iPhone and Android versions don’t update in sync, as they frequently have different bugs. 

• Thanks 1

A little confused but who isn’t with ArriveCan ! Leaving Vancouver for a 15 Princess to Hawaii, so we need to fill in prior even though not stopping at a CDN port? I assumed only on our return but reading above sounds like before. Do we do a second one for the return? Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, Texascruiser2008 said:

A little confused but who isn’t with ArriveCan ! Leaving Vancouver for a 15 Princess to Hawaii, so we need to fill in prior even though not stopping at a CDN port? I assumed only on our return but reading above sounds like before. Do we do a second one for the return? Thanks! 

If the cruise is Vancouver round trip then you will have to complete an ArriveCAN submission sometime in the 72 hours prior to boarding. Only that one submission is required.

If the cruise departs Vancouver and doesn't return to Canada, an ArriveCAN submission is not required.

38 minutes ago, broberts said:

If the cruise is Vancouver round trip then you will have to complete an ArriveCAN submission sometime in the 72 hours prior to boarding. Only that one submission is required.

If the cruise departs Vancouver and doesn't return to Canada, an ArriveCAN submission is not required.

I'm just sounding off.  Why would one need to complete the ArriveCan prior to getting on a ship leaving from a Canadian port?????  I hate this crap.

5 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I'm just sounding off.  Why would one need to complete the ArriveCan prior to getting on a ship leaving from a Canadian port?????  I hate this crap.

You only need ArriveCan if the ship is leaving Canada and then returning to Canada. If it is leaving Canada and you are disembarking outside Canada you don't need ArriveCan for that cruise. You will, however, need it to return to Canada, whether by land or air. (If you don't leave Canada on the cruise you also don't need ArriveCan.)

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You only need ArriveCan if the ship is leaving Canada and then returning to Canada. If it is leaving Canada and you are disembarking outside Canada you don't need ArriveCan for that cruise. You will, however, need it to return to Canada, whether by land or air. (If you don't leave Canada on the cruise you also don't need ArepartiriveCan.)

And yet I've read on numerous threads that some cruiselines like Royal are requiring it just to board regardless. We are on a Royal leaving Vancouver ending in Hawaii and live in Vancouver so not ARRIVING in Canada until we fly home after the cruise and I've read we all have to have it filled out before we board!

23 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

And yet I've read on numerous threads that some cruiselines like Royal are requiring it just to board regardless. We are on a Royal leaving Vancouver ending in Hawaii and live in Vancouver so not ARRIVING in Canada until we fly home after the cruise and I've read we all have to have it filled out before we board!

Maybe they are just using the  rules for the Alaska cruise  & have not changed the rules for those leaving Canada

Or  they are just confused  also 😉

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they are just using the  rules for the Alaska cruise  & have not changed the rules for those leaving Canada

Or  they are just confused  also 😉

I dunno, I guess we’ll fill it out as best as we can before we board to be sure. I’ve had several friends that have cruised Alaska round trip Vancouver with Holland America who also had to have it filled out before and after AND the app called Verifly as well, Holland American and Carnival both require that one too!

39 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

I dunno, I guess we’ll fill it out as best as we can before we board to be sure. I’ve had several friends that have cruised Alaska round trip Vancouver with Holland America who also had to have it filled out before and after AND the app called Verifly as well, Holland American and Carnival both require that one too!

from what I have read  YES you need to fill it out before boarding  IF the ship returns or visits  Canada

I was going to ask if you tried inputting your info for that cruise  & if it worked??

1 hour ago, turnin50 said:

The only way to complete an ArriveCAN submission for a cruise that does not enter Canada is to make a false statement.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

from what I have read  YES you need to fill it out before boarding  IF the ship returns or visits  Canada

I was going to ask if you tried inputting your info for that cruise  & if it worked??

No cuz right off the get go it asks how we are ENTERING Canada (land sea or air) which we are not so there's no real way for us to answer that question. Our cruise has no stops in Canada, it boards in Vancouver and ends in Hawaii, there is no entering Canada for us on this particular cruise.

2 hours ago, broberts said:

The only way to complete an ArriveCAN submission for a cruise that does not enter Canada is to make a false statement.

I agree thats what it looks like to me too, I've read Royals safety protocols I've emailed them about it and read on our governments website but its not clear on this particular situation.

15 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

I agree thats what it looks like to me too, I've read Royals safety protocols I've emailed them about it and read on our governments website but its not clear on this particular situation.

I think that the GOC's websites are extremely clear that ArriveCAN is to be used by people arriving in Canada, and that it is not required for cruises exiting but not returning to Canada, or for cruises that remain in Canada. I don't know how you can make it more clear than this:

1540638985_ScreenShot2022-08-27at4_30_09PM.thumb.png.2bdc100ddf858209a2d38224eec09bb7.png

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think that the GOC's websites are extremely clear that ArriveCAN is to be used by people arriving in Canada, and that it is not required for cruises exiting but not returning to Canada, or for cruises that remain in Canada. I don't know how you can make it more clear than this:

1540638985_ScreenShot2022-08-27at4_30_09PM.thumb.png.2bdc100ddf858209a2d38224eec09bb7.png

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Are some cruise companies confusing the pre-departure Covid tests with ArriveCAN?

57 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

No cuz right off the get go it asks how we are ENTERING Canada (land sea or air) which we are not so there's no real way for us to answer that question. Our cruise has no stops in Canada, it boards in Vancouver and ends in Hawaii, there is no entering Canada for us on this particular cruise.

well I guess RCCL  will figure it out  eventually

5 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Are some cruise companies confusing the pre-departure Covid tests with ArriveCAN?

That could well be. If you go back far enough in time, you needed to enter your negative test results in ArriveCAN, either before arriving at the border or before boarding your flight into Canada. I suspect that the cruise lines viewed this as an efficient way for them to verify test results and vaccinations once cruising in Canada recommenced in the Spring, but failed to adjust to the subsequent changes made to ArriveCAN as GOC entry requirements changed.

I've read that port check-in personnel are well aware of the actual ArriveCAN requirements, HQ misinformation notwithstanding.

Some are saying that its a requirement by Royal Caribbean based on this:

"ArriveCAN: All guests - including Canadians - or their legal guardians, must submit the mandatory travel information required by the Canadian government prior to boarding the cruise ship. Guests can complete the form on the ArriveCAN website or via the app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. Once completed you'll need to print or show the QR code provided at boarding."

Taken from the safety protocols for cruises departing Vancouver on Royal's website.

39 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

Some are saying that its a requirement by Royal Caribbean based on this:

"ArriveCAN: All guests - including Canadians - or their legal guardians, must submit the mandatory travel information required by the Canadian government prior to boarding the cruise ship. Guests can complete the form on the ArriveCAN website or via the app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. Once completed you'll need to print or show the QR code provided at boarding."

Taken from the safety protocols for cruises departing Vancouver on Royal's website.

Since ArriveCAN is not required for cruises leaving Canada the paragraph is correct. Misleading perhaps, but technically correct. It's not only government agencies that have confusing web pages 😀.

27 minutes ago, broberts said:

Since ArriveCAN is not required for cruises leaving Canada the paragraph is correct. Misleading perhaps, but technically correct. It's not only government agencies that have confusing web pages 😀.

I want to thank you both broberts and Foremco for so patiently addressing my concerns, I felt this way at the beginning also but of course the more answers I get the more I start to doubt myself. I will not question this anymore lol

Edited by turnin50
  • Thanks 1