Arrive Can

DShier1a

1 minute ago, broberts said:

The Vancouver itinerary leaves Canada and then returns, i.e. it enters Canada. The Quebec itinerary leaves Canada and does not return, i.e. it does not enter Canada.

ArriveCAN is required to enter Canada. One needs to make a submission sometime in the 72 hours prior to boarding your flight, train, car, or cruise.

From https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Cruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

One must provide a port of entry into Canada.

I don’t recall seeing a port on arrival. I know there is one when leaving Canada. 

@DHP1, all the information that you require has been provided in numerous posts, including the difference between RT Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver and one way Quebec-Boston cruises. I suggest that you slow down, go back to the beginning of the thread and re-read these posts paying attention to the details.  Same thing with the app. If you couldn't find a place to enter your port of arrival in Canada, you are going too fast.

48 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

@DHP1, all the information that you require has been provided in numerous posts, including the difference between RT Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver and one way Quebec-Boston cruises. I suggest that you slow down, go back to the beginning of the thread and re-read these posts paying attention to the details.  Same thing with the app. If you couldn't find a place to enter your port of arrival in Canada, you are going too fast.

Excuse me. I should slow down.  I didn’t ask the question. You need to read before you reply. 

4 hours ago, bebe08 said:

We are Canadians taking a cruise from Quebec City to Boston.  My assumption was we would only need ArriveCan for our return flight from Boston to Ottawa.

However, today I received the following from HAL, so it appears we need to complete ArriveCan twice; once before we embark on the cruise and then again for the flight back to Canada.  

Has anyone else been on a similar cruise and can confirm?  TIA

IMPORTANT INFO PLEASE COMPLETE ARRIVECAN BEFORE YOUR CRUISE
We look forward to welcoming you on board for your upcoming cruise that will
visit Canada. Please be advised that all guests, including Canadian residents,
must register for ArriveCAN and provide mandatory travel information. You will
need to enter contact information and travel details, vaccination information
and proof of vaccination.
Please visit https://*****/hal_arrivecan for additional information and
instructions on completing ArriveCAN.
Once you have completed ArriveCAN you will receive a receipt in the app and by
email. This receipt is mandatory for entry into Canada and must be completed
before embarkation. You will be asked to provide your ArriveCAN receipt at
cruise check-in.

Good question. 

10 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Excuse me. I should slow down.  I didn’t ask the question. You need to read before you reply. 

LOL. You did ask, in your post #46. Maybe you forgot asking.

The difference has been explained multiple times, and the related ArriveCAN policy provided. No matter what your mode of travel might be, if you arrive in Canada, you are required to fill out ArriveCAN. On the other hand, there is no such requirement to exit Canada. So a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise which exits and re-enters Canada requires a submission, but a Quebec-Boston cruise that never arrives in Canada  doesn't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. You did ask, in your post #46. Maybe you forgot asking.

The difference has been explained multiple times, and the related ArriveCAN policy provided. No matter what your mode of travel might be, if you arrive in Canada, you are required to fill out ArriveCAN. On the other hand, there is no such requirement to exit Canada. So a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise which exits and re-enters Canada requires a submission, but a Quebec-Boston cruise that never arrives in Canada  doesn't.

That was my understanding too, so was confused when I got the email from HAL indicating that I did need ArriveCan before boarding a Quebec-Boston cruise. Cruising used to be so simple...not anymore.  And the fact HAL is providing conflicting information than the Canadian Government definitely adds to the confusion.  It is very clear on the Canadian Government website that I don't need ArriveCan to embark, but HAL is saying it is required.  And when things are changing so quickly it makes you wonder if a) one of them is providing out of date information or b) there is a miscommunication or c) someone is just plain wrong.  

From Govt of Canada: Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

12 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

That was my understanding too, so was confused when I got the email from HAL indicating that I did need ArriveCan before boarding a Quebec-Boston cruise.

I think the cruise lines are  addressing  the Americans in these rules

They do not remember Canadians may also be on the ships  but if they put the rules for Canadians  in their email it would confuse the American pax

Catch 22  😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

That was my understanding too, so was confused when I got the email from HAL indicating that I did need ArriveCan before boarding a Quebec-Boston cruise. Cruising used to be so simple...not anymore.  And the fact HAL is providing conflicting information than the Canadian Government definitely adds to the confusion.  It is very clear on the Canadian Government website that I don't need ArriveCan to embark, but HAL is saying it is required.  And when things are changing so quickly it makes you wonder if a) one of them is providing out of date information or b) there is a miscommunication or c) someone is just plain wrong.  

From Govt of Canada: Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

For many years, CC members have complained about contradictions and the lack of accuracy in many cruise line webpages. During the pandemic, the problem only got worse, the lines were faced with constantly changing information and at the same time worked with a reduced and often inexperienced staff. While staffing issues may be improving, there are still issues with websites. For example, in a different thread dealing with a cruise from Quebec City, HAL states in one place that check-in begins at midnight and elsewhere that the ship departs at that time. Neither is possible, as the ship doesn't even arrive in port for many more hours.

HAL operates many cruises, particularly to Alaska, that are round trip out of Vancouver that require an ArriveCAN submission. Consequently, there may be an erroneous belief in some quarters that all cruises out of Canada require an ArriveCAN submission. The fact that the GOC has no such requirement for cruise within or only exiting Canada may not have sunk in. As this hasn't been an issue for passengers boarding these cruises, it appears that it is a lack of understanding only at HQ. This isn't unique, as you will often see HQ saying one thing and ships' captains saying something different.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think the cruise lines are  addressing  the Americans in these rules

They do not remember Canadians may also be on the ships  but if they put the rules for Canadians  in their email it would confuse the American pax

Catch 22  😉

I'm not sure that I follow you, as passenger nationality makes no difference. A cruise either requires all passengers to make an ArriveCAN submission or doesn't require any passenger to do so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'm not sure that I follow you, as passenger nationality makes no difference. A cruise either requires all passengers to make an ArriveCAN submission or doesn't require any passenger to do so.

OK maybe I am confused

I thought anyone entering Canada to get on a cruise  had to do ARRIVECAN  & show it at  boarding if the cruise was not returning to Canada

If you live in Canada  you would not need  it 

Good thing  I am not travelling  at this point in time 😉

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

OK maybe I am confused

I thought anyone entering Canada to get on a cruise  had to do ARRIVECAN  & show it at  boarding if the cruise was not returning to Canada

Anyone entering Canada to get on a cruise would definitely need to make an ArriveCAN submission, but would only need to show the receipt to CBSA when entering the country, not to port check-in personnel at embarkation for the cruise. Now, if the cruise exits and returns to Canada (Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver for example), then a second submission would be required and the receipt shown at check-in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

OK maybe I am confused

The person entering Canada to get on a cruise departing from a Canadian port would need to do ArriveCan for their method of entry (plane, car, train, etc.) and this is unrelated to any cruise-related requirements.

Then, they may or may not need a second ArriveCan, depending on whether or not the cruise itself leaves Canada and then returns.  

Leaving Canada by cruise ship and not returning, ie. Vancouver to Alaska or Quebec to Boston one way, the Canadian government says you DO NOT need an ArriveCan before boarding since your ship is not ARRIVING in Canada, it’s leaving and not returning.  Some cruise lines, eg HAL, may be confused, but the government is pretty clear on that.

Leaving Canada by cruise ship on a round trip cruise, ie round trip Vancouver, or taking a cruise from somewhere not Canada that visits or ends in a Canadian port, ie round trip Seattle or Oslo to Montreal, you DO need an ArriveCan submission done in the 72 hours before embarkation, since you are ARRIVING in (or leaving and returning to) Canada as part of your cruise.  You do it before boarding the ship, not in the days before actually arriving at the port.  They have the cruise lines looking for the receipt at your cruise checkin, since that’s easier than having huge lines at whatever port you enter (or return to) Canada at.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Leaving Canada by cruise ship and not returning, ie. Vancouver to Alaska or Quebec to Boston one way, the Canadian government says you DO NOT need an ArriveCan before boarding since your ship is not ARRIVING in Canada, it’s leaving and not returning.  Some cruise lines, eg HAL, may be confused, but the government is pretty clear on that.

Exactly  

• Like 1

We're flying to Montreal from the US, of course we need to do ArriveCan before we depart US.  Our cruise departs from Montreal and eventually ends up in Boston, but we make stops in Canada along the way (Halifax, etc.). So when we embark on the ship, we are not technically "leaving" Canada. For that reason I believe we do need to register with ArriveCan again before we board.  Does that sound right?

1 minute ago, debbie311 said:

We're flying to Montreal from the US, of course we need to do ArriveCan before we depart US.  Our cruise departs from Montreal and eventually ends up in Boston, but we make stops in Canada along the way (Halifax, etc.). So when we embark on the ship, we are not technically "leaving" Canada. For that reason I believe we do need to register with ArriveCan again before we board.  Does that sound right?

No, you'll be fine with just your initial ArriveCAN submission for your flight into Montreal. While your cruise will visit a number of Canadian ports along the way, you never exit and re-enter Canada. So, as you never arrive in Canada a second time, you don't need to use the app a second time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, debbie311 said:

unless you stop in St Pierre  then a Canadian port  it may change the requirements

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

unless you stop in St Pierre  then a Canadian port  it may change the requirements

Good point. I don't know that any of the cruise lines currently offer cruises embarking in Montreal that stop in Saint Pierre et Miquelon, but I could well have missed some. There are some out of Boston that stop there on the way to  Reykjavík, and Windstar has a Reykjavik-Montreal cruise that stops there (but no cruise in the reverse direction).

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

This Arrive Can is a real pain. What about people that do not have a smart phone? Does this mean you have to go out & buy a phone just you can travel?

A smart phone is not needed. Any internet connected device with a browser can be used. If one travels internationally I would be shocked to learn that such a device was not available.

In the pantheon of travel hurdles, a few minutes filling an online form hardly rates.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

This Arrive Can is a real pain. What about people that do not have a smart phone? Does this mean you have to go out & buy a phone just you can travel?

If you have the tools needed to participate here on CC, you have everything you need to use ArriveCAN.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ski ww said:

Web version - https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/welcome

You will received a email from ArriveCAN with your bar code.
Trusting this helps. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1