can I rejoin the ship

bermuda8553

Hi I am on the VOV 2023 cruse. We are in Ireland in 3 different ports. Does anyone know if I can get off in Cork (1st stop) and stay overnight  and rejoin the ship in Dublin the 2nd. stop. It also goes to Belfast but I believe I can't rejoin there because its owned by England? Thanks for any input.

What you are proposing is called "downlining" and it must be approved by HAL prior to sailing.  However, downlining has been extremely curtailed during covid.  Your only answer will come directly from HAL, so give them a call.

• Like 2

Well, on the Prinsendam, we once got off in Bergen (to see a band!) and then took the bus to catch up the next day in Stavanger... We had to sign all kinds of paperwork--it messes up their manifest, we'd be on our own if we missed the ship, etc. But that was pre-covid and all in one country. 

I know it WAS done in the Caribbean, but again, in the before times. Covid testing might be a sticking point too..

Thank you. I called Holland America and the person I spoke to was a little unsure of her answer, and by the time I hung up I was totally confused, which doesn't take much. I may wait until I'm closer to sailing, and try calling again. 

5 hours ago, bermuda8553 said:

Thank you. I called Holland America and the person I spoke to was a little unsure of her answer, and by the time I hung up I was totally confused, which doesn't take much. I may wait until I'm closer to sailing, and try calling again. 

Good idea. The way things change probably ask a few months ahead.

I suggest asking your TA to submit a deviation request to HAL. If you booked directly with HAL, then send them an email to request the deviation. You need to be specific about which ports you will disembark and embark. My TA has done this in the past for me. You need to get an approval in writing from HAL. They will then notify the ship. I would also bring a printed copy of the deviation approval on the cruise.

• Like 1

I have been able to get a deviation letter for a cruise in October so it is possible even with Covid although different countries might have different rules.  sandiego1 has given you the information you need to request a deviation.

16 hours ago, bermuda8553 said:

because its owned by England

Belfast is not owned by England (it is only rented by them 😉).  Belfast and the rest of Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland.  Just the same as Edinburgh is not owned by England, or I dare you to go into a pub in Glasgow and tell the customers that Glasgow is owned by England 😱🤣🤣.

p.s. If you happen to have a British or Irish passport you would be able to rejoin in Belfast because of the Common Travel Agreement between UK and Ireland (one of the reasons that Ireland in not in the Schengen Zone).

I agree with the others on requesting a 'Deviation' from HAL, but I believe it should be possible, as, if you were to unintentionally miss the ship in Cobh, would they stop you rejoining at the next port (in the same country) i.e. Dublin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Don't tell anyone in Belfast that they are rented by England, that might go down the wrong way:

Rented, as in temporary. (and the British Government is paying through the nose for it! 🤣), but this veers toward political comment, even though it is spoken in jest.