Norwegian fjords YC interior vs a non YC balcony

nafarrell

I am looking to book a Fjord cruise in late august/early Sept on the Virtuosa . Assuming the ship is going to be near full capacity, would I be better off booking a regular balcony or a interior YC cabin? I have heard that balcony cabins are recommended in the fjords but also that when the ship is near full capacity things can be a bit manic (queues, overcrowding etc). Unfortunately the YC balconies are a bit too costly for us. 

For perspective we did a YC interior on a UK cruise on Virtuosa last year and a YC balcony for a Fjord cruise this year. In your position I would do a YC inside. Yes the views on the Fjord cruise are amazing and waking up to them in a balcony cabin was fab but the very best views were from the front of the ship, the TopSail lounge, the YC restaurant and the YC deck which you will only see if you are in YC. 

Each morning that we were in the Fjords I got up as soon as I woke, had a quick shower and went straight to TS to see the views all around. It was amazing to have breakfast and dinner in the YC restaurant and to be surrounded by it all. We were lucky with good weather and the YC director hosted sailaways on deck where again we had the best views. 

Yes, now that the ship is sailing a lot fuller I believe it feels very busy but YC will still be a peaceful haven to relax in.

• Like 1

I would have to say that I too would take YC interior over a non YC balcony. I have sailed two times in a YC interior and have a Back2Back on the Seashore in November 22 and have again booked a YC Interior. The views as stated from the yacht club are the best, not to mention the great other perks you get with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kernow said:

For perspective we did a YC interior on a UK cruise on Virtuosa last year and a YC balcony for a Fjord cruise this year. In your position I would do a YC inside. Yes the views on the Fjord cruise are amazing and waking up to them in a balcony cabin was fab but the very best views were from the front of the ship, the TopSail lounge, the YC restaurant and the YC deck which you will only see if you are in YC. 

Another vote for this! There is no doubt the sundeck in YC right at the front of ship is the place to be, and it is easy to do the 360 for special sights.

Regarding cabin our first YC was inside, followed by 6 YC Deluxe Suite....much better without a doubt but current costs are significantly increased. For that reason, without hesitation, our next two cruises are YC inside.

We would now not cruise MSC outwith the YC, having done so a year ago with Aurea experience.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kernow said:

Each morning that we were in the Fjords I got up as soon as I woke, had a quick shower and went straight to TS to see the views all around. It was amazing to have breakfast and dinner in the YC restaurant and to be surrounded by it all. We were lucky with good weather and the YC director hosted sailaways on deck where again we had the best views. 

Yes, now that the ship is sailing a lot fuller I believe it feels very busy but YC will still be a peaceful haven to relax in.

First of it all: Welcome @nafarrell to the MSC CC boards!...

If only the moderators had a tool to highlight answers; @kernow; and surely this one from you should be on the most awarded of all of them lately!... Congrats!

How fortunate was I to do this cruise on the Orchestra, a Musica class ship back in the day when even there wasn't the Aurea sundeck at the top!... Because the views from the from of the ship are so stunning it is impossible to pass away!... Understandably YC will be firing expensive on those sailings. Even YIN... But I'd save money for 5 years in a row to be able to afford YC one time and do no cruises on the other years than to go on anything less than YC for that itinerary! That, and Alaska, if they happen to have it!... Otherwise YC is quite overpriced for what it is right now, IMHO.

Have a nice day!...