Checking in

I know the check-in process with RCCL has changed since I last cruised. I know the date check-in opens.

Is it now first-come, first-served as far as checking in? If we wanted to board early, would we have to check in at midnight on our check-in date to be able to get that time? Or at least choose our time at midnight then finish checking in later? Or is the time we are able to check in based on ship's time?

Maybe it's not that urgent to check in if we want an early time?

This is all new.

Thank you!

Online check-in will open soon after at 12:00am (midnight) 45 days prior to sailing.  It is the current time of the "departure port" - not the "ship's current time".   Most people find it's open at 12:01am, but sometimes it takes longer.  I checked in for my next cruise last week and it didn't open until just after about 12:15am.  

If you want a choice of a specific boarding time, especially the earliest time, you will want to check in as soon as possible.  You may not have to do it at midnight, but as soon as you can in the morning is best.  Using the Royal App on your phone, you can just choose the time and then do the rest later.  Since I was in Central time, and I always stay up until after 11:00pm anyhow, I went ahead and completed everything for us (my wife and me).  It took less than 10 minutes. 

I happened to look at my account from my computer today and notices a few things that I fixed.  When I uploaded our photos on the app, it did not let me resize our photos and they looked strange, so I re-uploaded them and the website has the ability to zoom in and out to center the face.  It had not saved my check-box selections for permission to use these photos for boarding and onboard photography, so I fixed that.  Also, it had our emergency contact numbers listed both as our primary contacts and emergency contacts, so I correct that, too.

I recently checked in and got a 10:30 boarding time. This was at 12:15am. At 8:30 am the earliest was 11.  Our last cruise I checked in at the same time and got 11:30 (different ship), That time was still available 3 weeks later. I checked almost everyday to see if and earlier time became available but that was always the earliest.  So you never know how long that early time will be available.

I checked in for our recent WOTS sailing the day it opened.

The earliest boarding time was 11.30

Kept on checking and about two or three weeks before sailing the earlier times opened up.

We changed to a 10.30 check in time.

They opened the doors at about 10.40 there were about 100 folks in front of us.

We were onboard in about 20 to 25 minutes.

There was no checking of your boarding time.

• Thanks 1

I feel it depends on how full your sailing is. Mine is 9/17. I was able to get the 10:30 at 11:00 on the opening day and there were more slots available.  I know most sailings are full now.  However, I feel it depends on how many folks are paying attention to the check in times.

Rodney, thank you for your help.

Also, can choosing a time be done online or only using the app?

You said you completed everything for your wife and you. Did you log in separately for her or do them both under your RC account? 

TYIA

Edited by lidorose

3 minutes ago, lidorose said:

Also, can it be done online or only using the app? Must reach person in a cabin choose a time or can one person do it for both people in the cabin?

Either should work. Each person needs to check in and choose a time but at the port you can just use the earliest person’s time. 

7 hours ago, lidorose said:

Rodney, thank you for your help.

Also, can choosing a time be done online or only using the app?

You said you completed everything for your wife and you. Did you log in separately for her or do them both under your RC account? 

TYIA

You can choose a time online, too, but it's easier in the app because that step comes before all the others, then you can stop and come back later to add the rest of the required info.  

My wife's check in was just another "card" within the app.  I did mine, then scrolled down to hers.  

1 hour ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

Am I reading correctly that they don’t check your boarding time anymore?

If I have noon I can get in line at 10:30?

I wish.  We tried that a couple months ago and were sent to the end of the life and waiting for 45 minutes ti get up to security.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I wish.  We tried that a couple months ago and were sent to the end of the life and waiting for 45 minutes ti get up to security.  

Damnnnn. Lol I guess I will arrive closer to my time.