Verizon vs T-Mobile for Cruise in Europe

seaventuregal

5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

If I had a T-Mobile plan, would I still need a WiFi plan from the ship?

At the moment T-Mobile service only works from land-based cell towers (and on airplanes).  Still waiting for Elon Musk's second tweet 'joking again'...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One word of warning on T-Mobile.  Pre pandemic we traveled extensively, over 300 days a year.  At the time we had T-Mobile.  On one of our trips we started receiving texts from T-MOBILE saying we would be cut off if we continued to use non-US data.  When we returned home I called them and was told that if we used data outside the US again our account would be frozen.  I asked if they had alternative plans and was told no.  The rep said international roaming was intended for occasional use.  I know others who have received the same message.  I also know others that travel extensively and never received the message so there doesn’t appear to be any consistent application.  When on T-MOBILE we were not streaming or anything, just emails, Facebook and such.

we now use Google-Fi with out any problems.

Edited by KirkNC

THANK YOU KirkNC

I am thinking of switching to T Mobil-- but am hesitant after reading your post. I am booked on 2 cruises within the next 8 months totaling 170 nights.  I will check with T Mobil about usage  before I switch.

58 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The rep said international roaming was intended for occasional use.

This is clearly stated in T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions for international access, so you shouldn't have been surprised.  How is Google-Fi's coverage in the US and how does the plan price and inclusions compare?  Interested in hearing more.

20 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

This is clearly stated in T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions for international access, so you shouldn't have been surprised.  How is Google-Fi's coverage in the US and how does the plan price and inclusions compare?  Interested in hearing more.

And how is Google-Fi's privacy protection?  [always a weak point for Google]

Someone suggested that this thread should be moved to the Cruising Technology forum.  My feeling is that Azamara folks like to keep it here.  [Maybe it's just me – I had to search hard to even find that forum when I knew it was there somewhere...]  But you might also search there for info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

What is the definition of “occasional use?”

I spoke with a T-MOBILE rep as I set up my new iPhone and he explained it to me. For example, sometimes people will live in another country for months on end. Cruising around through different countries would not apply, as long as the countries were part of the international plan 

On 8/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

What is the definition of “occasional use?”

6 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I spoke with a T-MOBILE rep as I set up my new iPhone and he explained it to me. For example, sometimes people will live in another country for months on end. Cruising around through different countries would not apply, as long as the countries were part of the international plan 

We just did an 18 day cruise in the Baltic, and because the ship's wifi was not free I used my T-Mobile cell phone as a Hotspot the entire time.  T-Mobile data was fast and they never cautioned me (or throttled me, or charged me) about overuse.

So we have narrowed down the range to somewhere between 18 days and 300 [which latter does sound a lot like not living in the US even if it's just because you are a super-road-warrior]

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We just did an 18 day cruise in the Baltic, and because the ship's wifi was not free I used my T-Mobile cell phone as a Hotspot the entire time.  T-Mobile data was fast and they never cautioned me (or throttled me, or charged me) about overuse.

So we have narrowed down the range to somewhere between 18 days and 300 [which latter does sound a lot like not living in the US even if it's just because you are a super-road-warrior]

Yes, I think they might raise eyebrows at 300 days, but maybe not if not in the same place 

2 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes, I think they might raise eyebrows at 300 days, but maybe not if not in the same place 

I think they might be looking for time at home in between trips.  I hope that @Lois10028 will tell us what T-Mobile says about her "2 cruises within the next 8 months totaling 170 nights."  That would be instructive for folks planning a world cruise...

53 minutes ago, seaventuregal said:

We will be on two Azamara cruises b2b in October from Ravenna ending up eventually in Dubai with about 12 days on land before and after.  I think from reading all the posts here T-mobile should work just fine!  Plus, the price is right!!

Yes. I just got a new phone and also switched to T-Mobile. With 2 overseas cruises in 2023 and likely some trips to Canada, I will save a bundle.

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes. I just got a new phone and also switched to T-Mobile. With 2 overseas cruises in 2023 and likely some trips to Canada, I will save a bundle.

Good for you!

And I will be envious that your rates in Canada will be considerably cheaper than those offered by our two largest carriers, Bell and Rogers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have been researching best cell phone service overseas and just found this thread, I am planning to switch to T-Mobile. Could you use your phone as a hotspot on the ship or was it while in port?  Can you access T-Mobile data while on the ship? 
Thanks for any information or clarification you can provide on using cell phones while on the ship - I’m unsure how or if that works. 

A word of warning for anybody thinking of moving to Mint - they have zero coverage in Alaska.  Whilst T-Mobile has an arrangement with local carriers in Alaska, Mint does not.  It was strange getting 5G in Canada but nothing in Alaska.

Mint is still a value for money carrier, if you don't mind paying for extras, and are aware of the coverage limitations.

Hello, I am currently on the Pursuit having left Ravenna on Monday and now in Monemvasia, Greece.  T-Mobile worked great on land for 6 days in Venice and Ravenna and super fast at all of the ports in Greece we have visited so far. I can be in my room on the ship in port and it connects easily with the T-Mobile network on land at the port.  We have used it for checking e-mails, texting including a few photos, and calling back to the U.S.   I haven't tried using as a hotspot on the ship yet, but will report back if I do so.  I did sign up for the extra $50 monthly international plan over and above the basic plan which works fine too since my husband has the basic plan but more cautious regarding data and voice.   In summary, I am very happy we made the switch from Verizon and are saving $50 per month!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jjanh said:

I have been researching best cell phone service overseas and just found this thread, I am planning to switch to T-Mobile. Could you use your phone as a hotspot on the ship or was it while in port?  Can you access T-Mobile data while on the ship? 
Thanks for any information or clarification you can provide on using cell phones while on the ship - I’m unsure how or if that works. 

T-Mobile does not work when the ship is at sea.  I got a warning:  "Caution- Airline/Cruise Ship is NOT covered in your T-Mobile plan!  Data is $15/MB+ tax, $.50/text. It adds up quickly- dial #763# to disable data and switch to Wi-Fi to browse the internet or check emails."

However, Airline use is covered on some carriers:  3 of our 4 recent Delta flights had free T-Mobile text and data.

[Luckily we didn't have much time at sea.  After the warning I was diligent about switching to Airplane mode when the ship sailed.  Azamara's wi-fi was not as fast as T-Mobile high speed, but good enough for everything except streaming.]

Also note that there is a 5G (as in gigabytes, not the new cell phone standard) monthly limit on high-speed roaming data.  I have not had an overuse problem – until I stupidly tried to watch the Celebrity Alaska webinar on my phone, which chewed through all my high-speed allowance and didn't even finish!  When you hit the limit, T-Mobile throttles you down to 256M which is still good enough for email and web use, just not for streaming.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:37 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

T-Mobile does not work when the ship is at sea.  I got a warning:  "Caution- Airline/Cruise Ship is NOT covered in your T-Mobile plan!  Data is $15/MB+ tax, $.50/text. It adds up quickly- dial #763# to disable data and switch to Wi-Fi to browse the internet or check emails."

However, Airline use is covered on some carriers:  3 of our 4 recent Delta flights had free T-Mobile text and data.

[Luckily we didn't have much time at sea.  After the warning I was diligent about switching to Airplane mode when the ship sailed.  Azamara's wi-fi was not as fast as T-Mobile high speed, but good enough for everything except streaming.]

Also note that there is a 5G (as in gigabytes, not the new cell phone standard) monthly limit on high-speed roaming data.  I have not had an overuse problem – until I stupidly tried to watch the Celebrity Alaska webinar on my phone, which chewed through all my high-speed allowance and didn't even finish!  When you hit the limit, T-Mobile throttles you down to 256M which is still good enough for email and web use, just not for streaming.

We've been using T-Mobile for over 15 years and LOVE THE SERVICE!!! Speaking of service, they are always very helpful, polite, and often point out a better plan that may have been introduced since we last talked with them. They have the best customer service I've encountered post-covid. The only con is that we don't have robust coverage in the sparsely populated areas along Interstate 90 in the West. We expect that to resolve in the near future.

Set your phone to wifi-calling to make free calls or pay 25cents/minute using cell. We went to our account online and set our international coverage to the setting that allows international use, but blocks transactions that "are not covered in our plan" (Cellular at Sea). That way, we keep our phones on while at sea to catch every fleeting moment of coverage, but avoid being charged for Cellular at Sea. We've sailed the Norwegian Fjords without cell interruption (except when out-to-sea), off the coast of Spain and Gibraltar on a TA, South America, the Caribbean and throughout French Polynesia. You will be absolutely amazed how far offshore you get a decent signal.

Text and data are free. Use free wifi (when safe) to save cell minutes, if you will be burning data. I almost never switch to free wifi on land, since I don't stream. My DH does switch to conserve cell minutes, since he occasionally streams. We were getting a fast 5G (instead of 3G or 4G) signal throughout our October cruise from Amsterdam to Bordeaux to Barcelona. Amazing! 

We never purchase wifi on a cruise because we do everything we can while near or on land. If you must connect while at sea, then you need to find a solution for that segment. 

• Like 1