Seeking pros/cons Majestic 10-nt Alaska Sept 2023

jkmmah

I just returned from an 8-night sailing on CCL to Alaska. I’m ready to book Alaska again for next year and am eyeing the Sept. 16, 2023 10-night on the Majestic for a few reasons:

• 10-night sailing!
  • Longer port time in Ketchikan, which was a favorite of ours
  • Glacier Bay
  • Travel dates work well with our work schedule
  • R/t from Vancouver is appealing to us
  • Loved Princess when I sailed the line in 2019

I am aware that weather can be a concern, and that late in the cruising season there may be vendors who have already closed up shop. However, I would like to hear from the crowd all the pros and cons you can think of about the sailing, ship, itinerary, and experience that could sway me one way or another. 

The ship has the Hollywood Pool and Conservatory, which is in a way like having an indoor Retreat, at no charge. They have several venues which are not cookie cutter to the other Royal Class ships.

The crew are AMAZING! 🥂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

The ship has the Hollywood Pool and Conservatory, which is in a way like having an indoor Retreat, at no charge. They have several venues which are not cookie cutter to the other Royal Class ships.

The crew are AMAZING! 🥂

Thank you for that! A friend of mine sailed on the Majestic and did not care for the ship, so his opinion has been taking up space in my head. Haha!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jkmmah said:

Thank you for that! A friend of mine sailed on the Majestic and did not care for the ship, so his opinion has been taking up space in my head. Haha!

If you have any questions, please ask; I'm happy to answer! 😃

Which itinerary did your friend sail.

I definitely prefer some other ships, especially for some sailings.

I like the open, unobstructed retreat pool, the Sanctuary, etc.

But, for Alaska, you might love Majestic.

If you understand the weather and timing limitations, then you could def. consider that cruise!

Just be aware that it will be late in the season, there could be cooler more unsettled weather, and then there are the short days, with early twilight.

I think there have been other threads and comments in the past about sailing the last cruises to Alaska.  Maybe a search would find them for you.

It is almost September now, so I would watch the weather and Fall-time conditions to see what you will encounter.  I don't know about any nice Fall change of colors.  But I am sure that there are areas where the trees, maybe Aspens, are scenic.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Which itinerary did your friend sail.

I definitely prefer some other ships, especially for some sailings.

I like the open, unobstructed retreat pool, the Sanctuary, etc.

But, for Alaska, you might love Majestic.

If you understand the weather and timing limitations, then you could def. consider that cruise!

Just be aware that it will be late in the season, there could be cooler more unsettled weather, and then there are the short days, with early twilight.

I think there have been other threads and comments in the past about sailing the last cruises to Alaska.  Maybe a search would find them for you.

It is almost September now, so I would watch the weather and Fall-time conditions to see what you will encounter.  I don't know about any nice Fall change of colors.  But I am sure that there are areas where the trees, maybe Aspens, are scenic.

He said it felt the bars were very closed in or closed off, not set up well for live music in his opinion. He had a few other negatives but I can’t recall specifically what. His comments gave me pause, but they won’t be a deal-breaker for us.

One other plus I just remembered for why we were looking at later in the season is for the better possibility of seeing the aurora. There was slim hope in the forecast on the cruise I just got off, but it didn’t pan out. We hoped maybe September might yield a better (though still slim) possibility.

Great idea about watching this year’s forecast in mid and late Sept to give me an idea for next year. How simple and yet I hadn’t even thought of that yet.

I had done a search for Alaska in the late season and found a lot of chatter among guests who said if they had to pick between early May or late Sept, they would pick May. That whole thread gave me a little bit of pause, too. I’ll keep searching and see if there are enough positives to warrant me taking the leap.

Thanks!

The lounges were great for us; Vista is large, with loads of different seating options; Crown Grill Bar is wide open, usually with a guitarist or pianist playing; Princess Live is a more closed-in studio atmosphere for games and such; Vines was more by the Piazza along with the International Cafe and you could see and hear whatever entertainment was going on there.

We were always able to find something great to suit our fancy 😄

7 hours ago, jkmmah said:

I just returned from an 8-night sailing on CCL to Alaska. I’m ready to book Alaska again for next year and am eyeing the Sept. 16, 2023 10-night on the Majestic for a few reasons:

• 10-night sailing!
  • Longer port time in Ketchikan, which was a favorite of ours
  • Glacier Bay
  • Travel dates work well with our work schedule
  • R/t from Vancouver is appealing to us
  • Loved Princess when I sailed the line in 2019

I am aware that weather can be a concern, and that late in the cruising season there may be vendors who have already closed up shop. However, I would like to hear from the crowd all the pros and cons you can think of about the sailing, ship, itinerary, and experience that could sway me one way or another. 

My husband and I are doing that cruise.  It's the latest we've done so curious to see how things are.  We've never done Glacier Bay and it looks amazing. Hope to see you on board. 

• Like 1

Any cruise to Glacier Bay is amazing.  We've sailed in late Sept and aside from the weather, which you are already expecting should it be bad, it was an amazing cruise.  Also, I just love the Majestic.  Aside from not having Crooners, she is a fabulous ship.  They still have plenty of music in the public spaces.  I am sure you will have a fabulous trip.  

Another positive vote for the Majestic. The cooler the weather the tastier those noodle bowls are on deck! The indoor Hollywood pool club was large with great views.  Hollywood conservatory was also a wonderful indoor usually quiet space.  

• Like 1

Post the itinerary.  Seems to me that almost any 10 night itinerary in AK would be better than almost any 8 night itinerary.  After all in AK what is important is what is outside of the ship and the places and times of the port stops and what is on the ship is irrelevant.

DON

My advice is don't do it. I sailed in September last year and as a local was able to wait for a last-minute fare when the weather was least-bad, but the Princess ship leaving the next day was stuck in port because of severe storms on the open sea. Our ship had lots of rain and heavy swells on the return trip delayed our arrival by 5 hours or so, and we just missed hurricane-force winds off Vancouver Island. It makes a miserable cruise experience, with everyone crowded inside and bored and making glacier/wildlife viewing and excursions more difficult and unpleasant. If you're going to go for 10 days and prioritize glaciers and ports, then why not go when the weather is likely to be better? I went in June, July, and August this year, and had wonderful weather and long days (you'll miss hours a day of scenic viewing in September because of shorter days). If you want to avoid summer crowds and prices, then I'd go in May or early June instead, with longer days and generally less rain. 

That said, the Majestic is the only Princess ship I'd take to Alaska, simply because of the Hollywood Pool and Conservatory, which has free indoor spots for viewing and spreading out. I love Princess and am at Elite status, but for Alaska I would only go on a ship with forward indoor and outdoor viewing and/or a covered pool area, so I'd say NCL, HAL, Royal, and Celebrity are better options, depending on itinerary.