Royal just raised gratuities will Celebrity follow.

LB_NJ

btw, these dynamic pricing issues and not doing all inclusive indulge for now means they probably see the need to raise prices, grats, drinks internet,  and do not want to lock guests in for sometimes up to 2 years and thats also bring the cruise lines contract where they can surcharge  us all on higher oil prices.

4 hours ago, HMR74 said:

btw, these dynamic pricing issues and not doing all inclusive indulge for now means they probably see the need to raise prices, grats, drinks internet,  and do not want to lock guests in for sometimes up to 2 years and thats also bring the cruise lines contract where they can surcharge  us all on higher oil prices.

They already have a fuel surcharge that lets them add up to $14 p.p. per day for seven days max. I think the breakpoint is $65 per barrel based on some report that is publish. If the brilliant management staff had any backbone, they would have put in affect right away. If the would have, they might be operating at a profit, either now or the very near future. I don’t think they’d lose very few, or any customers over less than $100 a week.

Add for luggage handling, like the airlines do and it’ii be raining money again like it did before the pandemic.

l

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

They already have a fuel surcharge that lets them add up to $14 p.p. per day for seven days max. I think the breakpoint is $65 per barrel based on some report that is publish. If the brilliant management staff had any backbone, they would have put in affect right away. If the would have, they might be operating at a profit, either now or the very near future. I don’t think they’d lose very few, or any customers over less than $100 a week.

Add for luggage handling, like the airlines do and it’ii be raining money again like it did before the pandemic.

l

a problem is if the Beyond is still sailing at 65% occupancy-in their good years they were at 99% or 101 which meant 3+ in a  std cabin at times. Fices costs are a killer, oil is ficed regarless of how hi the occupancy and food is not so variable. Capital investent is the same. Crew--they cannot change from sailing to sailing.

the fuel surcharge is a part of our contracts however then have not levied that yet.

people should read contracts to see what the cruise lines can do and for what we the customers cannot do. Which is SOP or the side that writes the contract.

Take a look at your bank checking or CD account-the deal is we all are subordinated creditors

Edited by HMR74

21 hours ago, OysterD said:

Personally though, and whether that's just because I'm British/any nationality other than American, I don't understand why there needs to be a separate line item for 'tips' that is in addition to what the cruise fare is. I don't want or need a breakdown of what I will be paying for the cruise. I just want the total, which includes part of what staff are paid. I don't want to see port fees/taxes, or start seeing fuel surcharges, or egg surcharges, when I book just tell me the total, the rest is totally irrelevant lol.

If 'tips' are a mandatory extra you have to pay, without jumping through hoops and feeling like a proper skinflint to get out of paying, then why show it as a separate item. If its costing more to employ the staff onboard, to the value of $1pppd or whatever it is, then add $1pppd to the advertised cost of the cruise. 

I'm all for keeping things in life as simple as they can be, especially when it comes to holidays! 

Im not disagreeing with wanting to know what I’m paying and getting a flat amount up front, but I’m pretty sure that it’s kind of a performance bonus system that rewards great service.  Service companies are judged by the level of service it provides for its customers

If you include such service staff fees in the base cost,  there may not be much motivation for service workers to go above and beyond as their payment is already decided and does not fluctuate, whether they provide basic or excellent service.

US system tries to be a win win in that the company gets rave reviews for its service and employees can make a much higher income if it provides excellent service

Edited by Cruise till you drop

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Im not disagreeing with wanting to know what I’m paying and getting a flat amount up front, but I’m pretty sure that it’s kind of a performance bonus system that rewards great service.  Service companies are judged by the level of service it provides for its customers

If you include such service staff fees in the base cost,  there may not be much motivation for service workers to go above and beyond as their payment is already decided and does not fluctuate, whether they provide basic or excellent service.

US system tries to be a win win in that the company gets rave reviews for its service and employees can make a much higher income if it provides excellent service

It’s basically what you have now, you can either prepay it or have it added to your onboard account daily and pay at the end. For now you can go customer service and reduce it or eliminate it completely. The daily amount, listed by the cruise line, tells me that is the amount for the excellent service they say they provide. My opinion is it’s adequate but nothing special do to the workload these individuals have, hence we have never reduced or eliminated the fee. We are low maintenance and I can’t recall if we have ever asked for anything extra, just smiling at us and calling us by name has nothing to do with excellent service.

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

We are low maintenance and I can’t recall if we have ever asked for anything extra, just smiling at us and calling us by name has nothing to do with excellent service.

They could smirk at you and call you an expletive… 🙂 

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2022 at 11:17 AM, OysterD said:

Completely agree that the crew on cruise ships work very hard and should be paid a decent amount for that. 

I don't want or need a breakdown of what I will be paying for the cruise. I just want the total,

I'm all for keeping things in life as simple as they can be, especially when it comes to holidays! 

Maybe you could book through a TA. Ask for the total due and request no invoice with breakdown provided.