TV situation on the Journey, Pursuit and Quest

Piaa

Good afternoon, we are currently on the Onward and I am wondering what the situation with TV is on the other Azamara ships (I know a strange question to ask but 🤣)

There is very limited TV and as far as the movies go, we get one movie that is shown throughout the day but if you miss the starting time you have to wait three hours before it starts again or you have to watch from what ever point it is you turned the TV on. 

I am used to having “on demand” movies on the other cruise lines with a large selection - this is like going back to the 1990s 🤣

We are booked on the Onward for the world cruise so were thinking of downloading movies but we have spoken to Concierge and there is no way to hook your personal device to the TV. 

They have been made aware from many guests that the TV situation is not good so I am wondering if “on demand” type movies are currently available on the other ships and if so hopefully they will upgrade the Onward

• Like 2

I was on Quest a month ago and they had smart TVs where you can check your onboard account, watch various films etc. I am on Pursuit now and the TVs are old style - no menu, just channel selections where you just have to take what comes. So it clearly depends on what ship you are on. I think Journey is the same as Auest, but it appears that the two latest additions to the fleet are somehow mired in the past when it comes to TV.

• Like 2

TV offerings have always been pathetic. From your post, it clearly still hasn’t improved. Here’s the work around we’ve had success with.

Load movies you like onto a laptop; connect a HDMI cable to the back of the tv (difficult but doable); bring a universal remote so you can change the TV input to HDMI; and watch what you want on demand. If the ship has mainly port days (as opposed to sea days) and you’re  prepared to buy external wifi data for a hotspot (phone or device) you can also watch streaming services from your laptop through the HDMI cable. I don’t know whether casting works.

Sometimes many of us just want to have a rest in the small cabin in the afternoon and it’s significantly more enjoyable to watch a movie from the start ( and a movie which actually has some appeal).  Also, if you’re wide awake at 2.00am, it’s nice to have options. The TV offerings is an area where Azamara fails badly.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AJCM said:

TV offerings have always been pathetic. From your post, it clearly still hasn’t improved. Here’s the work around we’ve had success with.

Load movies you like onto a laptop; connect a HDMI cable to the back of the tv (difficult but doable); bring a universal remote so you can change the TV input to HDMI; and watch what you want on demand. If the ship has mainly port days (as opposed to sea days) and you’re  prepared to buy external wifi data for a hotspot (phone or device) you can also watch streaming services from your laptop through the HDMI cable. I don’t know whether casting works.

Sometimes many of us just want to have a rest in the small cabin in the afternoon and it’s significantly more enjoyable to watch a movie from the start ( and a movie which actually has some appeal).  Also, if you’re wide awake at 2.00am, it’s nice to have options. The TV offerings is an area where Azamara fails badly.

Remember when you could walk into a movie in the middle!!!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, AJCM said:

I would add that scandisk has a stick that you can store lots of things on and then using its app show them on a device.  I’ve only tried it on Apple, and maybe a kindle fire, but I not positive about that one.  

of course the connection to a larger screen is a plus.

Hi Piaa! We were just on the Quest. I think they had 14 movie choices that we could watch from start to finish any time we wanted to. I thought the selection could have been at least twice as large since many ships used to have long lists of dvd's to choose from. Personally I would love it if Azamara would have a movie night one night during a voyage instead of live entertainment. It would be wonderful if they offered popcorn and showed a fairly recent release. But I realize selecting a movie that's a real crowd pleaser can be tricky. - Debby

31 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Journey in August and Quest now have free on demand movies.  TV show offerings haven’t changed in years, pathetic really.

Agree

And issues with the signal are a joke. I don’t mean Norwegian fjords I get that but in Stavanger and Amsterdam no access to Sky, CNN etc just the ships canned content due to “no satellite signal”

• 4 months later...

Has anyone lately been able to connect an HDMI to the TVs on the Journey and if so, any chance for some instructions? Wife and I love to relax before bed and watch a show saved on our iPad on the TV. We’ve managed to connect to TVs on celebrity but this is our first Azamara. 
Thanks!

• Like 1

HDMI slot is at back on the right. Pull the tv,in the centre bottom, toward you - you won’t get it out far and you really need your partner to hold it at that position. Then feed the HDMI cable toward the identified HDMI slot and persevere until you get it in.It’s not easy, so when you succeed, leave it there - cabin staff don’t seeem to have a problem with it being there. Then change the input selector using a universal remote - Azamara doesn’t have an input select option on their remote. I don’t understand how a HDMI cable will connect to an ipad - we use a laptop.

Thanks so much! One last question. Are they Samsung TVs on Journey? Seems like might be a lot of work and definitely don’t want to damage the TV so maybe we just call it quits but just curious. Thanks again for your help. 

Edited by bmd64v46u
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 1:20 AM, bmd64v46u said:

Thanks so much! One last question. Are they Samsung TVs on Journey? Seems like might be a lot of work and definitely don’t want to damage the TV so maybe we just call it quits but just curious. Thanks again for your help. 

Great question. We’d appreciate to know too as we have a 16 night trip on the Journey coming up soon with few ports day and want to be able to connect/stream from our laptops 😉

Does the Journey have Samsung TVs?