Tipping on upcoming BIE

Karry66

This is a specific question about tipping…not about right, wrong or why.  On the BIE cruise 9/13/22, we end in Bergen but the ship goes on tour of mostly Euro countries.  We usually tip room service but are wondering if it should be in GBP£ or Euros€?  Any advice from those going or who have been on recent BIE cruises? Many thanks.

Edited by Karry66

• Karry66 changed the title to Tipping on upcoming BIE

At the risk of provoking the ire of the "tipping police" I will admit that we have always tipped in $$ on the oceans.  With such diverse itineraries and the fact that, truth be told, crew members don't always get off the ships at many of the ports it would be impossible to predict which currency would work for them at any given time (note:  not all European countries use euros).  Dollars is the official currency of the ship so it seems that $$ would be a reasonable currency for tips.  In our conversations with crew over the years we have learned that most of the crew we interact with (cabin stewards, wait staff, bartenders) either send most of their money home or save it for their "time off" between contracts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, duquephart said:

Either. $ also welcomed. 

We’ve never actually tipped $$$ outside US or Caribbean.  Always tip local currency, but since ship will move on to Euro countries, was trying to think ahead.

49 minutes ago, Karry66 said:

We’ve never actually tipped $$$ outside US or Caribbean.  Always tip local currency, but since ship will move on to Euro countries, was trying to think ahead.

I believe Ireland is the only country on this itinerary that uses Euros.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

At the risk of provoking the ire of the "tipping police" I will admit that we have always tipped in $$ on the oceans.  With such diverse itineraries and the fact that, truth be told, crew members don't always get off the ships at many of the ports it would be impossible to predict which currency would work for them at any given time (note:  not all European countries use euros).  Dollars is the official currency of the ship so it seems that $$ would be a reasonable currency for tips.  In our conversations with crew over the years we have learned that most of the crew we interact with (cabin stewards, wait staff, bartenders) either send most of their money home or save it for their "time off" between contracts.

We are Canadian cruisers, and we almost always universally tip ship crew in USD.  Just the most convenient for anyone to convert.

• Like 1

I generally tip using any of the basically universal currencies - either dollars or euros.  The server is going to have to convert the currency to whatever they want so make it easier for them.  Also although nobody has asked - don't be a smart -A and tip using $2 bills just so they remember you.  They will remember you but for the wrong reason.  To most people including Americans in the US a $2 bill is play money.

DON

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Squawkman said:

I believe Ireland is the only country on this itinerary that uses Euros.

Yes, I think the BIE itinerary will mostly use pounds, not euros. 

We are planning to tip ship staff with dollars, most shore staff with pounds.

Trying to decide if we need to get any euros for our one excursion in Ireland or kroner for our one excursion in Norway. How does one get just a few euros or kroner? 

By the way, we’ll be on the 9/13 cruise, too. Leaving in less than 2 weeks!

Edited by Twitchly

On that itinerary there is no need to tip while ashore at all, but if you do want to use local. There are loads of places to change currency. Norway, the UK and the ROI are nearly cashless now, so I'd only get a small amount. 

Example, we're going to London for a few days. Will take only whatever cash we happen to have, won't be more than £40. We'll be surprised if we need it, we probably won't tip anywhere. 

On the ship do the pre pay gratuities, that way the crew get the money with their pay in whatever currency they have agreed or are used to. Also means they can use an ATM to get a local currency if needed

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

On that itinerary there is no need to tip while ashore at all, but if you do want to use local. There are loads of places to change currency. Norway, the UK and the ROI are nearly cashless now, so I'd only get a small amount. 

Example, we're going to London for a few days. Will take only whatever cash we happen to have, won't be more than £40. We'll be surprised if we need it, we probably won't tip anywhere. 

Forgot to mention, American Express isnt that widely accepted over here. Get a contact less Visa or mastercard with a pin, we rarely use signatures. The pin is needed for higher amounts. Apple pay works in most places. 

Also the card shouldn't leave your hand. A mobile terminal is brought to your table, or you go to the till. If the card needs to be put in the terminal the customer does it, but staff will help on request

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Trying to decide if we need to get any euros for our one excursion in Ireland or kroner for our one excursion in Norway. How does one get just a few euros or kroner? 

We were in Bergen for 5 days in April and we never saw cash - everything was by credit card everywhere - even the drunk we saw getting some food from McDonalds used a credit card. We’ll be on the BIE next spring at which time we’ll be taking the one included Bergen excursion. We plan to use Euros for these tips. We bought a bunch of €s recently for future cruises as the € exchange rate is 1:1 right now. 

5 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Check with your bank to find out if their debit card will work in those countries at ATM's and/or with bank tellers.

You can then W/D the minimum or what you think you'll need. 

Also so as not to be surprised later, ask if they charge foreign transaction fees.

Caution:  Always withdrawal in the foreign currency, not USD.  And if using credit cards for purchases, the above advice also applies.

Viking does recommend tipping shorex guides and drivers.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info