Almost Live: Northern Isles on Rotterdam August 28th 2022

VMax1700

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Lerwick has been cancelled!

The Captain made the announcement at 7.45 this morning that because of winds of 30/35 knots and the expectation that they would increase further this afternoon, he had taken the decision to cancel the port call.

We are now rocking and rolling our way to Invergordon.

We had the same conditions on the July 31st sailing .I was very disappointed ...

A few things about the Lido.

I have noticed that in the evenings the aft starboard side is marked off for 'Team Dining'.  At first I thought it was a type of team building exercise, but it seems that it is used to keep staff separated from paying customers.  Although the musicians seem to eat with us riffraff, the Hotel Officers and Technical side all eat in the 'allotted space' and do not mix with us.

20220907_183933.thumb.jpg.7de1ab9e62b0c5eac0a6c0965ccd6b4e.jpg

20220907_183908.thumb.jpg.c63955b586a5a9dc547e48b09b181fbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tomorrow morning we have an Immigration Inspection by UK Border Force and we all must present at the World Stage with passports in hand.

This was originally scheduled for this morning, but as we could not port in Lerwick they could not board!

20220907_191645.thumb.jpg.09de1e912604352c21e7063363f17c92.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We also got our Disembarkation Options Form.

Note the paragraph about Club Orange, 4 star and 5 star not having to have pick up luggage tags as part of their 'benefits' and will have them delivered.  I have not seen that before.

20220907_191524.thumb.jpg.a13a10fcdd7c55b3d483631c316f6ce1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We also got our Disembarkation Options Form.

Note the paragraph about Club Orange, 4 star and 5 star not having to have pick up luggage tags as part of their 'benefits' and will have them delivered.  I have not seen that before.

20220907_191524.thumb.jpg.a13a10fcdd7c55b3d483631c316f6ce1.jpg

They actually had that on the koningsdam in November 2021 and mar 2022.  I spend enough time at the front desk already so it’s appreciated. 

Today we have gone from 'Masks Recommended' to 'Masks Required' and staff were standing at the entrance to Lido etc insisting that people put on masks and wash their hands.  This evening there was a letter in the cabin from the captain saying that they have identified some positive Covid 19 cases amongst the guests who are mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic and they and their close contacts have been isolated  and quarantined.

Guests are now required to wear masks at all times when indoors (except when eating, drinking or in their own stateroom) etc.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Today we have gone from 'Masks Recommended' to 'Masks Required' and staff were standing at the entrance to Lido etc insisting that people put on masks and wash their hands.  This evening there was a letter in the cabin from the captain saying that they have identified some positive Covid 19 cases amongst the guests who are mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic and they and their close contacts have been isolated  and quarantined.

Guests are now required to wear masks at all times when indoors (except when eating, drinking or in their own stateroom) etc.

Fingers crossed that you stay healthy!🤞

• Like 2

Today's Immigration process was a bit of a disaster.  With hindsight it should not have taken place the way it did.  Different decks were called to be processed, but it did seem that no one was checking on how the processing was progressing.  When we were called we joined the queue in the BB King Lounge to move slowly through Billboard on Board and then into the World Stage, where the queue meandered from the side entrance to the back and then down to the front again for the actual 'processing'.  there were only 2 UK Border Force officers doing the processing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tomorrow's tendering in South Queensferry will be interesting to watch.  It does not make sense to me that they insist on masking, request social distancing and then fill the tenders.

However, with other events today, Edinburgh may be a no-go area, so we will wait and see what transpires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am enjoying all the posts (especially the ones with the menus from the main dining room and the Lido).   What a huge selection - I am really looking forward to our 3 weeks on the Rotterdam in November.   Love all the food choices.

Thank you for posting all this stuff - much appreciated.

Wendy

@VMax1700 Thank you for reporting your experiences (and the yummy food pics) on the new Rotterdam. We will embark her on October 2nd for 28 days. 

If you or anyone on board now can do me a favor if possible and check ship's stores to see if they sell Marlboro cigarettes (if so, are they made in USA or Switzerland?). My husband will be having smokes with his morning coffee at Sea View Bar and it would save on our packing if we could buy them on board. Reason for country manufactured is that hubby says Switzerland made taste different and he doesn't like them. (No, he won't quit much to my dismay 😉). 

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Today's Immigration process was a bit of a disaster.  With hindsight it should not have taken place the way it did.  Different decks were called to be processed, but it did seem that no one was checking on how the processing was progressing.  When we were called we joined the queue in the BB King Lounge to move slowly through Billboard on Board and then into the World Stage, where the queue meandered from the side entrance to the back and then down to the front again for the actual 'processing'.  there were only 2 UK Border Force officers doing the processing.

Last month when we had the UK Edinburgh immigration process on the Rotterdam it seemed to work very well with just 2BF officers. The officers were located in the level 3 MDR. Luckily we were called early and got through in 5 minutes and by then the line up was huge but it was moving quickly. The tendering was the bottle neck for us, not immigration.

9 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Tonight in the Lido was a Dutch Dinner.  It was really good.

Here are some of the selections at a few of the stations:

20220908_181944.thumb.jpg.ff0d719b3822ee10dc45f2795b61ff14.jpg

20220908_181950.thumb.jpg.7472292e19c67e5596ba9ee8c830940c.jpg

20220908_182157.thumb.jpg.ba907823457200eeced97a8c78605a68.jpg

Starting with dessert is always a good idea!

Thanks for the MDR menus and the Lido signs.