Do they ever combine the 2 teen groups?

megs193

We leave tomorrow for our cruise and I am trying to decide whether or not I should sign my son up for the teen group. He just turned 12 so I’m not thrilled with the idea of him being with 15-17 year olds if they combine the 2 groups like they sometimes do with the adventure ocean groups. Does anyone have any first hand experience with how the teen group is ran?  I’m assuming they would never let a 12 year old be in the 9-11 group with his brother. 

We just sailed on Navigator with our two granddaughters (9 & 7).  They combined them into one group as there weren't a lot in one group or the other (not sure which age was under-represented).  Only thing I didn't like was they would let the nine year old sign herself out.  

16 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We just sailed on Navigator with our two granddaughters (9 & 7).  They combined them into one group as there weren't a lot in one group or the other (not sure which age was under-represented).  Only thing I didn't like was they would let the nine year old sign herself out.  

Though you don't have to let her have that ability

38 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Curious, what kind of things do they do for teens? Bringing my 15yo on his first cruise this year and didn't realize they had teen-centric activities that were arranged. 

Teen flowrider, dodgeball, ping pong, mini golf, sometimes also scavenger hunts. Teens look at the schedule posted in the teen club and decide what activities they want to attend.  Some of the bigger teen activities will show up on your cruise planner as well

We have been on several post-covid cruises and on all them the teens clubs were combined. In general, this hasn't worked out well for my 12 and 14 year olds. There have been cruises where the clubs are dominated by 16 and 17 year olds and they had no interest, but even on the other cruises where there is a good mix, they have not had much of a desire to just go any hang out. My older son would occasionally hang out, but my 12 year old would only go for a few specific activities.

I could understand this when the cruises were running at lower capacity, but now that they are essentially sailing full, I am disappointed that they haven't separated the clubs.

• Like 1

On the Navigator they also restricted the number of kids at around 45.  If they really want to go keep track of the operating hours and get there early.  If they are full you will have to wait until somebody leaves to go in.  I got there one night after dinner around 8:00 and they didn't open until 8:30.  I thought about leaving and coming back but while standing there parents and kids started rolling up.  Good thing I stayed as by 8:30 some of those at the end of the line weren't getting in.  

26 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

No way I'm letting a 9 year old check herself out of a kids club at 10:00 PM or any time for that matter.  

Agree, as said my Grand Daughter wasn't allowed to at 11yrs old. Day or Nite. No biggie Grandpa was there pick her up if Mom/Dad were ashore or having "Date Nite"

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

No way I'm letting a 9 year old check herself out of a kids club at 10:00 PM or any time for that matter.  

I agree.  I'm not happy with my 12 year olds being considered teens because I would rather they have a more structured environment, but I don't see a problem with them allowing the families the option of letting older kids sign themselves out.

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

You can tell the staff that she is not allowed to sign herself out. 

13 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

They still let her sign herself out?

No or at least she didn't try, not sure.  I doubt they would if it was in the system as they scan your Seapass card on their tablet at the door when you go in and when they go out.