Where are Medallions being shipped FROM anyway?

Pamster

I ordered Medallions for our cruise on December 21, 2022, and get a message that they don’t have enough time to ship it to me, that I can pick it up at the port. I don’t want to pick it up at the port, I want it shipped to me. The cruise is over 3-1/2 months from now. Is this normal?

• Like 1

Sounds a little strange to me. Our medallions were shipped from Singapore by a company called Agility Technologies, which initially concerned me because I had NO idea what that company was!   

I placed the order on May 18th and our sailing is tomorrow. We got an email notification on a Thursday abut two weeks ago, and they arrived the following Tuesday via FedEx.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pamster said:

I ordered Medallions for our cruise on December 21, 2022, and get a message that they don’t have enough time to ship it to me, that I can pick it up at the port. I don’t want to pick it up at the port, I want it shipped to me. The cruise is over 3-1/2 months from now. Is this normal?

Where are you sailing from?  If it’s from the US, then there is another bug in the App. 

If it’s from a foreign port, say the UK…you pickup at the port.

More info please.

• Like 1

Since they come from Singapore to N.A., has never made sense to me why they cannot be delivered to Canada as easily as to USA.  But not sure if they come from Singapore in bulk for the whole voyage and then sent out within USA to individual addresses.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pamster said:

We usually get them delivered about 3-4 weeks before the cruise.  Maybe you're too close to Santa Clarita? 🤣  It would appear that they come from a Singaporean company, but that being said, they could very well just be shipped directly from China where the medallions are manufactured.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Where are you sailing from?  If it’s from the US, then there is another bug in the App. 

More info please.

LAX. Yeah, I remember they don’t ship to those sailing from foreign ports, but we live in LA and are sailing from LA. If they can’t get them to us in 3 months how well they ever get them to the port?  😁

Edited by Pamster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

More info please.

WAIT!!  Another bug in the App you say?  How could that be?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Pamster said:

LAX. Yeah, I remember they don’t ship to those sailing from foreign ports, but we live in LA and are sailing from LA. If they can’t get them to us in 3 months how well they ever get them to the port?  😁

You normally get them 10-14 days before sailing.

• Like 3

We did a side to side cruise back in November/December 2021.Our Medallions arrived for our Regal cruise two weeks before our departure on November 24th.  The Medallions for our November 30th cruise on Enchanted arrived at our house on November 25th.  Our daughter mailed them to our hotel in FLL and we got them on November 29th.  When we were checking in on board, the Medallions would not work. Had to go to guest services for a new battery.  Tracking the Medallions online was interesting. Seems they were shipped to multiple locations in the US and would take days to move to the next destination. Never did recieve the Medallion wrist band I paid for through the App.  When we stopped by the Medallion service desk on the Regal and told the manager about it, he gave me a wrist band at no charge.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, Pamster said:

You need to contact Princess. Try CHAT first, they might be able to help (with no hold time).

• Like 4

Doesn’t make sense. 

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You need to contact Princess. Try CHAT first, they might be able to help (with no hold time).

Yeah I’ll try that. Seems like 3 months should be more than enough time. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:04 PM, Pamster said:

I ordered Medallions for our cruise on December 21, 2022, and get a message that they don’t have enough time to ship it to me, that I can pick it up at the port. I don’t want to pick it up at the port, I want it shipped to me. 

This happened to us for a Sky Princess cruise last November.  Ordered medallions five months ahead of time and got the same message.  It is no big deal!  Just one more step in boarding.  We still got on the ship the same time as our friends, who had theirs mailed.  In fact, we don't bother having them mailed anymore. 

Edited by KreinKrunker
  • Like 1

The medallions are easily coded to replace existing ones.  I've had them replaced (first time was because I lost it on a port call, and then a Guest Services employee came running out onto the dock to meet me with a new one 😲,) but at other times they just re-coded another one at the guest services desk when they stopped working (battery probably died.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, galveston gal said:

So if you pick them up at the port are they able to be customized or you just get whatever they have in stock?

Is it a time consuming process?  Handled on boarded or in terminal?

The customization is actually just a sticker. It can be printed at the port.

All they have to do is make and apply the sticker and then code the ship's software with the unique ID of the new Medallion so it's associated with you. Very fast.

It can be done at the port and on the ship.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

This happened to us for a Sky Princess cruise last November.  Ordered medallions five months ahead of time and got the same message.  It is no big deal!  Just one more step in boarding.  We still got on the ship the same time as our friends, who had theirs mailed.  In fact, we don't bother having them mailed anymore. 

On the advice of a friend who sailed earlier in the year, we did NOT order our medallions ahead of time and therefore picked them up at check in.  Takes an extra 15 to 30 seconds.  They had our names, ship name, and cruise dates and were black for elite status.  The batteries do usually die in about 3 weeks so if your cruise is longer you end up at Guest Services having them replace it for you.  In my mind, it's just something you have to remember to pack so why order in advance?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

The customization is actually just a sticker. It can be printed at the port.

All they have to do is make and apply the sticker and then code the ship's software with the unique ID of the new Medallion so it's associated with you. Very fast.

It can be done at the port and on the ship.

Is it like a hotel key card when you checkin and they just put the key card on a machine to code it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Is it like a hotel key card when you checkin and they just put the key card on a machine to code it?

I believe it's kind of the reverse. Each Medallion already has a unique code which they read and then associate with your account.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is all new to me! We just booked a cruise to Alaska for May 2023 out of Seattle. After reading the posts I am assuming that the medallion is in place of the seapass is that correct and also used  to get into the cabin? I am not computer savvy so I would guess my best bet is to wait until we get to the port to activate it. Any suggestions?? Thanks for any advice. Have a great day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sea and Me said:

This is all new to me! We just booked a cruise to Alaska for May 2023 out of Seattle. After reading the posts I am assuming that the medallion is in place of the seapass is that correct and also used  to get into the cabin? I am not computer savvy so I would guess my best bet is to wait until we get to the port to activate it. Any suggestions?? Thanks for any advice. Have a great day.

There's nothing to activate; it comes ready to use (unless of course the battery is already dead).  Your decision is just whether to have it shipped directly to you (if eligible) or pick it up at embarkation. 

• Like 1

I've had some shipped from Singapore, while others came from Princess HQ in Miami. It slightly complicates things if you don't have a medallion to show at initial check-in, at least when I went through Seattle. A bit of advice--if you use Medallion with the lanyard, hang it on your door as soon as you enter, so you don't forget it when you leave the room.  I confess I was a little creeped out when I was in Alfredo's and saw a tablet at the entrance with photos of all the people dining, using our Medallions to identify us, but then I'm completely mystified how bartenders in some bars can ring me up in an instant using my Medallion, while baristas at the International Cafe and a guy at Vines write down every purchase on a sheet of paper, which defeats the purpose of Medallion technology and results in false charges (I got charged for somebody's else's wine). On the positive side, I've found baristas on every ship who don't bother even charging me for some or all espresso drinks, since the supposedly seamless process takes them too much time and bother. 

• Like 1