Best airport to fly in when sailing out of Ravenna

kentrav

Hello Fellow cruises,

My wife and I need a little help for our cruise to The Greek Islands and Turkey next October. I understand that the ship is sailing out of Ravenna Not Venice ,so we were wonder what is the closest airport to  Ravenna we can fly into .How Long is the drive to the port ,what is the best way to get there with luggage and possibly and good mid range hotel to stay at . We are going to fly in a day or so before.  We  can fly into Venice but it seems like a long drive from there to Ravenna to catch our ship The Constellation, I am also aware that Celleb. offers transportation at a cost to get from Venice to Ravenna is it worth it ? I know its allot to ask but just trying to figure out the way with the least amount of hassle and travel time,any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kentrav.

There have been several discussions on this topic on the Ports of Call forum for Italy here:   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

Bologna is probably the closest airport, but is still a distance from Ravenna. In addition to distance you may also want to consider availability of good flights and where you want to spend pre-cruise time. 

I am on Constellation in October and for now Celebrity is offering transfers from both Venice and Bologna airports as well as from Venice itself. Cost per person from Venice is $58. Unless you can put together shared transport on your roll call, you're unlikely to find anything much cheaper. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kentrav said:

Hello Fellow cruises,

My wife and I need a little help for our cruise to The Greek Islands and Turkey next October. I understand that the ship is sailing out of Ravenna Not Venice ,so we were wonder what is the closest airport to  Ravenna we can fly into .How Long is the drive to the port ,what is the best way to get there with luggage and possibly and good mid range hotel to stay at . We are going to fly in a day or so before.  We  can fly into Venice but it seems like a long drive from there to Ravenna to catch our ship The Constellation, I am also aware that Celleb. offers transportation at a cost to get from Venice to Ravenna is it worth it ? I know its allot to ask but just trying to figure out the way with the least amount of hassle and travel time,any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kentrav.

Recommend you ask/research on the Italy ports of call forum.  Lots of good info available.   Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

• Thanks 1

When faced with the Ravenna issue you might want to turn an inconvenient problem into a plus.  While Bologna is somewhat closer (about half the driving time) we think that Venice is worth the extra driving time for most folks.  Having been to Venice many times we find the island (and other islands in the lagoon) a fun area for browsing, walking, enjoying the fabulous atmosphere, etc.  While Bologna is worth a 1 or 2 day visit, it is not Venice :).  So we suggest that folks consider flying into Venice (Marco Polo Airport) at least 2 days prior to their cruise and enjoying the region.   If you have more days, one could plan a nice driving or train trip ending at Ravenna.  

As to exploring Venice, once folks get St Marks Square (one of the most touristy spots in Italy) out of their system they can start to explore all that Venice has to offer.  A trip out to Burano can be delightful and would easily fill a half day (longer if you couple it with a visit to Murano).  For those who have never visited the Peggy Guggenheim Museum it is a wonderful place for a couple of hours.   Another option, with a few extra days, for opera lovers is to spend an evening (and perhaps overnight) in Verona in order to enjoy an outdoor Opera performance at the Arena di Verona (the largest opera venue in the world).  This does require advance planning as performances do often sell out.

Hank

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When faced with the Ravenna issue you might want to turn an inconvenient problem into a plus.  While Bologna is somewhat closer (about half the driving time) we think that Venice is worth the extra driving time for most folks. 

To piggyback on Hank's reply, the reverse is also true.

Many people have visited Venice several times already, either on their own or as part of a pre- or post-cruise visit. For those travelers, Bologna is an interesting alternative. I've wanted to get to Bologna for years but never seemed to have a good reason or plan to visit. The Ravenna sailings provide a good opportunity to spend a couple of days in Bologna and then at least one full day in Ravenna (also well worth the time).  

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Many people have visited Venice several times already, either on their own or as part of a pre- or post-cruise visit. For those travelers, Bologna is an interesting alternative. I've wanted to get to Bologna for years but never seemed to have a good reason or plan to visit. The Ravenna sailings provide a good opportunity to spend a couple of days in Bologna and then at least one full day in Ravenna (also well worth the time).  

I have two lasting memories of our 3 night visit to Bologna (years ago while on a driving trip).  1.  The Colonnades.  and #2.  The gypsy lady that did her best to pick my pocket at high noon in one  of the busiest squares in the city!  And yes, we foiled the lady (and I hope she still has the bruises).  Suffice it to say that it is a city for which we have no future plans to visit :).

Hank

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

I just spent several days with Bologna as my base.  I also always wanted to get to Bologna.  Not just Bologna, but a quick train ride gets you to Modena, Parma and Reggio Emilio for foodie fun.  Get adventurous and rent a car for a day and go to the Ferrari Museum in Maranello (I loved it).  Have a mortadella sandwich at Mo! Mortadella Lab.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have two lasting memories of our 3 night visit to Bologna (years ago while on a driving trip).  1.  The Colonnades.  and #2.  The gypsy lady that did her best to pick my pocket at high noon in one  of the busiest squares in the city!  And yes, we foiled the lady (and I hope she still has the bruises).  Suffice it to say that it is a city for which we have no future plans to visit :).

Hank

I hear you -- but if those were my criteria I'd never re-visit Rome, where on my first (adult) visit, a band of gypsy kids surrounded my then DH and I and attempted to take DH's wallet -- right in the middle of the Spanish Steps -- using a piece of heavy box cardboard jammed against his waist to keep his hands away from his pants pockets. Being a street-savvy New Yorker, he did not take kindly to this and the attempt was foiled but not without me being in fear that one of more of those kids were going to go tumbling down the Spanish Steps!

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hear you -- but if those were my criteria I'd never re-visit Rome, where on my first (adult) visit, a band of gypsy kids surrounded my then DH and I and attempted to take DH's wallet -- right in the middle of the Spanish Steps -- using a piece of heavy box cardboard jammed against his waist to keep his hands away from his pants pockets. Being a street-savvy New Yorker, he did not take kindly to this and the attempt was foiled but not without me being in fear that one of more of those kids were going to go tumbling down the Spanish Steps!

I am blessed to have a DW with a 6th sense when it comes to pick pockets!  Like most frequent travelers we have learned to take routine precautions that have served us well for over 40 years.  We have never had any issues in the more common places like Rome, Barcelona and Athens.  The attempts we remember (all foiled) was the one in Bologna (where I had to get physical), a young boy in Arles, and another young guy in Istanbul (a comically bad attempt at purse snatching).  We have watched others have their purses snatched in Barcelona (some ladies still think its OK to leave a purse under their seat).

Hank