Is a passport required for US citizens on a close looped sailing from US?

jgraham625

I hesitate to ask, but with which cruise line?  There are some cruise lines (such as Oceania)  that do require a Passport even on closed loop cruises.  This is not a government requirement but rather a mandate of the cruise line.  

Hank

• Like 1

Got this email as well for upcoming cruise; 

MSC sent a link on their website for all up coming summer cruises. That a passport is required with at least 3 months validity still enforce. No mention of birth certificates accepted." Last updated: 11th July 2022
PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY THE TABLE BELOW BEFORE BOOKING YOUR CRUISE
Please note that the information provided is subject to change by the official authorities without notice. It is every Guest responsibility to verify the requirements and restrictions before booking the
cruise and before the cruise departure.
DATE ESTA WAIVER PROGRAM NON ESTA WAIVER PROGRAM
SUMMER 22 CARIBBEAN
PASSPORT WITH 3 MONTHS SUGGESTED RESIDUAL
VALIDITY + ESTA
(linked to the passport number) or USA Visa (double or
multiple entry) if required in lieu of ESTA.
All other ports of cruise: No other Visa required.
Residence Permit under renewal are not considered valid.
COUNTRIES SUBJECT TO ESTA: Andorra, Australia, Austria,
Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark,
Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland,
Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania,
Luxembourg, Republic of Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New
Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore,
Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland,
Taiwan, United Kingdom
PASSPORT WITH 3 MONTHS and USA VISA (double or
multiple entry).
All other ports of cruise: No other Visa required"
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jgraham625 said:

I am already booked and now Im freaking out because my daughter does not have a passport.  We have always sailed with her birth certificate on the other US lines.

When are you cruising?  Your daughter can apply for a passport card in person and get it the same day. I would not leave the country without a passport, and if you’re sailing on MSC it sounds like she will need a passport. 

On 8/31/2022 at 8:46 PM, Hlitner said:

I hesitate to ask, but with which cruise line?  There are some cruise lines (such as Oceania)  that do require a Passport even on closed loop cruises.  This is not a government requirement but rather a mandate of the cruise line.  

Hank

Since they are posting on the MSC board, I assume that is their cruise line.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

MSC sent a link on their website for all up coming summer cruises. That a passport is required with at least 3 months validity still enforce. No mention of birth certificates accepted." Last updated: 11th July 2022
Please note that the information provided is subject to change by the official authorities without notice. It is every Guest responsibility to verify the requirements and restrictions before booking the
SUMMER 22 CARIBBEAN
VALIDITY + ESTA
Taiwan, United Kingdom
multiple entry).

the info in this quote seems aimed at those coming to the US from other areas.  There is no mention of the WHTI for citizens of and residents of the US on closed loop cruises.  Of course, MSC may choose to require passports of all guests, as do some other cruise lines.  EM

SUMMER 22 CARIBBEAN
VALIDITY + ESTA
Taiwan, United Kingdom
multiple entry).

Your post confuses several different issues.  Most Europeans, who are flying to the USA, require an ESTA (which is essentially a electronic Visa Waiver) to come into the USA.  Others, from countries that do not qualify for the ESTA system might need a US Visa.  They also need to have at least 3 months remaining on their Passport (a pretty normal requirement around the world where 3 or 6 months is common).

As to the Birth Certificate (plus government picture ID) requirement, this applies to US citizens on closed-loop cruises covered under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)..  This only covers US Citizens (and some Canadians) and has nothing to do with cruises in Europe.  The closed loop MSC cruises (begin and end at the same USA Port) would generally qualify under the WHTI.

It is always wise for everyone to check with their cruise line on specific requirements, Some lines (like Oceania) require that everyone have a valid Passport, even if the cruise were to qualify under the WHTI.

Hank

• Thanks 2

Please go to the MSC website and check for yourselves. DO NOT LISTEN to any of us posting here or there. You will be denied boarding and NO refunds without the proper documentation. Here is another cut and paste from the MSC website. Nothing about US citizens and birth certificates.

Travel Documents & Visas

It is the sole responsibility of the Guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary. Please check with your travel agent, government agency, Embassy or Consulate to ensure that you have all the proper documentation to board the ship and enter each of the countries on your cruise. Guests without proper traveling documentation will be denied boarding. Travel restrictions for each destination country may vary according to a Guest's citizenship. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation. 

When clicked the above from post #5 comes up. NO mention of birth certificates on this part of MSC website. Has anyone found something on the MSC website ?
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 8:10 PM, jgraham625 said:

I am already booked and now Im freaking out because my daughter does not have a passport.  We have always sailed with her birth certificate on the other US lines.

MSC is not a US line so they have their own policies it’s important to know those policies and travel requirements before booking.  

When are you sailing? 

Please go to the MSC website and check for yourselves. DO NOT LISTEN to any of us posting here or there. You will be denied boarding and NO refunds without the proper documentation. Here is another cut and paste from the MSC website. Nothing about US citizens and birth certificates.

Travel Documents & Visas

It is the sole responsibility of the Guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary. Please check with your travel agent, government agency, Embassy or Consulate to ensure that you have all the proper documentation to board the ship and enter each of the countries on your cruise. Guests without proper traveling documentation will be denied boarding. Travel restrictions for each destination country may vary according to a Guest's citizenship. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation. 

When clicked the above from post #5 comes up. NO mention of birth certificates on this part of MSC website. Has anyone found something on the MSC website ?

I agree. I just searched the MSC site and didn’t see anything about them accepting birth certificates. 

OP hasn’t come back since posting so maybe they’ve researched this on their own. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:05 PM, styles27 said:

MSC is not a US line so they have their own policies it’s important to know those policies and travel requirements before booking.  

When are you sailing? 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:23 AM, Homosassa said:

OP needs to check his itinerary and MSC's requirements. 

I have been on closed loop MSC cruises from the US where a passport was required because of the requirements of the ports of call.

All this is meaningless if a cruise line has a stricter policy.  That is why we cite Oceania ( basically a US cruise line owned by NCLH) that requires valid passports..even for closed loop cruises.  We will repeat that if you Not have a valid Passport it is wise to check with your cruise line.  We have seen folks turned away at Florida ports and the tears/hysteria is quite sad.

Hank

Greeeeaattt...I booked my first MSC cruise going to the Bahamas over Halloween.   Ive been on 23 cruises with Carnival, NCL, and RC.  Never needed a passport on any of them and never even thought to check. Im trying to check in and have no option other than passport/ppcard.  I cant seem to get a straight answer anywhere online searching on google and of course their call center is closed so now i get to worry all freaking night about it...seems pretty ridiculous they wouldn't accept birth certificates and photo ID like most all other US cruise lines.  And considering it would take 6-8 weeks to get a passport if i applied now, i probably wouldn't get it in time.   My only saving grace is i have flexible changes with MSC so i could at least get a credit for a future cruise.

Calling tomorrow to get a straight answer.

On the second page of this board is a thread by @Markanddonnatitled Spring Break.  In the first post of that thread, she talks about taking a grandchild on a cruise and finding out she needed a certified copy of the birth certificate, not just a copy.  Which seems to indicate that her granddaughter would be sailing without a passport.  The thread was started in March, so perhaps she might come back and tell us if indeed they were able to sail without a passport.  EM

11 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

On the second page of this board is a thread by @Markanddonnatitled Spring Break.  In the first post of that thread, she talks about taking a grandchild on a cruise and finding out she needed a certified copy of the birth certificate, not just a copy.  Which seems to indicate that her granddaughter would be sailing without a passport.  The thread was started in March, so perhaps she might come back and tell us if indeed they were able to sail without a passport.  EM

Yes, everything worked out. Our 8 year old granddaughter did not need a passport. We had that certified copy of her birth certificate, notarized permission to take her, and a copy of permission for us to be her power of health designees. Interesting that the only thing they asked for was her birth certificate, not permissions. Interesting that we received a letter in our stateroom that she wasn't allowed to get off in Nassau because of the COVID rules, which no longer apply. She was tested three days before the cruise and then at the port, which are the Bahamian rules. No matter, she loved the pools on the ship.

• 1 month later...

New to this stuff.....I have read what MSC has on their web-site, but do not understand their requirements about the ESTA Waiver programs. I do not see where I would fall under these categories, when I do a google search.    I am a US citizen and doing a closed loop from Port Canaveral. I do not have a passport.   Willing to get a Passport Card tho.  Three in my party and do not want to have to purchase passports for everyone.   I did call and they just sent me to the info on MSC.   Anyone can break this info down for me, so I can understand it.  

2 hours ago, Cannotwaitocruise said:

New to this stuff.....I have read what MSC has on their web-site, but do not understand their requirements about the ESTA Waiver programs. I do not see where I would fall under these categories, when I do a google search.    I am a US citizen and doing a closed loop from Port Canaveral. I do not have a passport.   Willing to get a Passport Card tho.  Three in my party and do not want to have to purchase passports for everyone.   I did call and they just sent me to the info on MSC.   Anyone can break this info down for me, so I can understand it.  

US citizens cruising from US ports on closed loop do not need a passport.  I had read the same thing about 'requiring' a passport on MSC prior to our friends' cruise.  They did not have passports.  

At the port, they asked for their passports and they told them they don't have any.  MSC accepted the US drivers licenses.  Also see post number 16 in this thread. 

Edited by APDMOM
Clarify

1 hour ago, APDMOM said:

US citizens cruising from US ports on closed loop do not need a passport.  I had read the same thing about 'requiring' a passport on MSC prior to our friends' cruise.  They did not have passports.  

At the port, they asked for their passports and they told them they don't have any.  MSC accepted the US drivers licenses.  Also see post number 16 in this thread. 

A state driver’s license is NOT proof of US citizenship. For US citizens, a certified US birth certificate, or a few other document types like Naturalization Certificate, along with a government-issued picture id is the minimum travel document required to sail on a closed-loop cruise from a US port. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, kelleherdl said:

A state driver’s license is NOT proof of US citizenship. For US citizens, a certified US birth certificate, or a few other document types like Naturalization Certificate, along with a government-issued picture id is the minimum travel document required to sail on a closed-loop cruise from a US port. 

Correct... or enhanced driver's license, which they had.  I should have clarified that.

10 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Correct... or enhanced driver's license, which they had.  I should have clarified that.

Ah….. that’s a horse of a different color.  Most Americans do not know what an enhanced driver’s license is. Only 5 states that border Canada offer this type of driver’s license. It is NOT a driver’s license that has a star. Those starred licenses  are called ‘real Id’ licenses. To get an enhanced driver’s license US citizens in those five states must present all the types of documents needed for a passport. An enhanced driver’s license has ENHANCED DRIVER LICENSE in bold type on the front of the license. US citizens can indeed travel with this type of license alone.

• Like 1