The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 5th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Roy.  We may do nothing there if it's a 30 minute bus ride from the port.  I'm fine with that.  Walking through the jungle doesn't sound that great right now.  Nor the bus ride with coughing, hacking people aboard.

This is a variation of the one I took which turned into the much longer march through the jungle. Unless you are really into botany - that part of it is not much fun. The river boat portion was interesting. The way the tour worked was first river boat.... then dropped off and hike through jungle... then the boat met us at another spot on the river. It was late picking us up because it had to go back to the drop off point to pick up one of our hikers who started the hike and then could not continue on.... was easier for her to return to the original spot drop off spot but it created major problems. That hike was a killer and then when we were doing final "off" river boat we had to cross another boat to get to the dock. This is where the one lady caught her foot between the two boats. It hurt!!!.... She screamed!!!  We were supposed to be back at the ship about 5 but it was 11pm by the time we got back. Now, if you could do the river boat and skip the walk, I would think it would good and that part was really interesting. Our guide did take longer in the jungle portion than was supposed to.... I assume he is no longer guiding. 

Edited by durangoscots
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

This is a variation of the one I took which turned into the much longer march through the jungle. Unless you are really into botany - that part of it is not much fun. The river boat portion was interesting. The way the tour worked was first river boat.... then dropped off and hike through jungle... then the boat met us at another spot on the river. It was late picking us up because it had to go back to the drop off point to pick up one of our hikers who started the hike and then could not continue on.... was easier for her to return to the original spot drop off spot but it created major problems. That hike was a killer and then when we were doing final "off" river boat we had to cross another boat to get to the dock. This is where the one lady caught her foot between the two boats. It hurt!!!.... She screamed!!!  We were supposed to be back at the ship about 5 but it was 11pm by the time we got back. Now, if you could do the river boat and skip the walk, I would think it would good and that point was really interesting. Our guide did take longer in the jungle portion than was supposed to.... I assume he is no longer guiding. 

Wow, that sounds awful!  Glad I asked so I won't make that mistake.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, that sounds awful!  Glad I asked so I won't make that mistake.

It was. I think it qualifies as the worst tour I ever had.... a least the jungle portion. And  I am a fairly strong walker and was a few years younger. 

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

It was. I think it qualifies as the worst tour I ever had.... a least the jungle portion. And  I am a fairly strong walker and was a few years younger. 

Wow!  I'm sure glad I didn't make that choice.

Roy

• Like 2

It's been a quiet day here.  The weather people on tv teased us with rain, but I doubt that we'll get rain.

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

How big was the old Regal Princess.  Some smaller ships can dock in town, and it may also depend on water levels on the river.

Roy

The old Regal was built in 1991 or 1992, and was about the size of an R class ship with a little more than 1500 passengers.  Which also makes me think we docked some place else.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I don't blame you for thinking next time in Dakar you would skip the shuttle into town.  Not worth it!

That really must have been a really hard walk for you two.  In some places there was water, and yes rocks.  It's a good long distance too.  Hope hitting his back on a rock didn't put a damper on your cruise!  

Sandi, I don’t remember the walk being that bad.  The only problem was getting off the rocks.  We still enjoyed the rest of the cruise.  Of course, we were 19 years younger. 

Well, I just looked at our pictures, and I probably wouldn't do the same walk now.  There was a lot of water and slick rocks.  However, the view was great.

DSC00189.thumb.JPG.64a7eb8f0e3edfdb8f3185dc6709033b.JPG

DSC00185.thumb.JPG.967f55bbb15bb0077e33b342f2690f19.JPG

Lenda 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser if it was late at night could you have been docked at an industrial area somewhere.  It also could be a matter of water levels on the river.

Roy

True.  We did spend quite a while using the stern thrusters getting off the sandbar.  This was in April, and it was dark when we docked.  It was at the end of the rainy season and the river level was very high.  That was in 2006, so I giess it will remain a mystery.

Lenda

• Like 2